Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    Come on down to the Sherpa hang next month! It involves a 2 mile hike in to the camp and you will STILL get mountain man breakfast, olddogs world famous cheesy bacon grits, and cobbler in the dutch ovens

We would love to have you down there and you would have a good opportunity to see some "Real Florida"
    Thanks for the invite! Is there a thread up on that hang? And how far is it from the Suwanee River?

I have seen quite a bit of Florida over the years and use to be a member of the Alligator Amblers chapter of the FTA down in Fort Myers. I had a sailboat life for a while down there.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    here I am in the middle of a cold snap looking at folks in shorts... something wrong with this - you folks need snow! ;-)) Great pictures, looked like a great time. Thanks for sharing.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    WBBB Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    Mac Cat Ultra
    Insulation
    thermarest, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies and strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    It was rescued! PM ItsAndy. I believe he was holding on to it while we tracked down its owner.
    Great--thanks and we are on it. These things happen!
    Hedgehogs! Why can't they just share the hedge?

FH3 REPORTS AND PICS http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=66682
    FH4 In the Planning Now! Ask me for more......
    "Vada a Bordo, Cazzo!"

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by L.D. Cakes View Post
    Thanks for the invite! Is there a thread up on that hang? And how far is it from the Suwanee River?

I have seen quite a bit of Florida over the years and use to be a member of the Alligator Amblers chapter of the FTA down in Fort Myers. I had a sailboat life for a while down there.
    There is a link to the HF thread in my signature and a short promo video that one of last years attendees made. There is also a separate FL Hangers web page that will have additional information, maps, gps points/files, etc. The planning hasn't really begun yet because we have all been concentrating on FH3 but we'll probably start nailing things down in the next couple of weeks.

This would be about midway between the Suwanee and Ft Myers (if you head east from Tampa and stop right in the center... that's me) and might have some slightly different stuff to look at... but you have probably seen a fair bit that is similar. I, however, am biased and think that you've never seen anything in FL to compare to my forest

If you can make it, great, if not then we'll see you at FH4! There will also be a hike-n-hang in March a bit north of Tampa and I think there is a group planning a big hang in the Jacksonville area in March.

Dave
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Now that I've had a chance to absorb mentally more of the goodness that was FH3, I need to take a few moments to thank a few of you. I'm sure I will miss someone, because so many of you did so much it would be impossible not to miss someone with all the faces and names swimming through my head.

Thanks to my husband Timberrr who does so very much behind the scenes in preparation for each year. Not the least of which is putting up with me.

RichtorFL- I get worn out just thinking about all the work you did this year. That Turkey was a thing of beauty! Everything you cooked was just amazing. Next year I am going to mobilize a coffee brigade in the mornings for you. No one should have to make 5 pots of coffee before even getting to taste some for themselves!

OldDog - Your cheesy bacon grits, shrimp grits, and cobblers were amazing! I enjoyed watching several kids follow you around with a look of pure adoration on their faces, each of them eager to hear anything you had to say.

LilRicky- You are my hero! I suspect Loki feels the same after the late night airport extraction you arranged. All the credit for the success of the raffle goes to you. You are just an all around good guy!

BlackWolf - You gave a full day to making that amazing smoked pork. I confess I had more than my fair share of it. Your kindness and generosity towards others is really a good example that everyone should strive for. Thank you!

Mad777 - Thank you for the para cord for the survival bracelets. Thanks for the two hammocks that you contributed to the raffle. Thanks for heading the planned hike on Saturday. Thanks for the meals you prepared to share. Thanks for bringing your lovely wife. It was a pleasure meeting her.

ItsAndy- Thanks for organizing the daily paddle trips. I loved the Juniper Springs run and look forward to doing it again soon. Look forward to seeing you on the Suwannee soon.

Vanguard- Thanks for stepping up and teaching the survival bracelet class. You were very generous and giving of your time and supplies. Thank you as well for offering to do different classes next year. I'm very excited about what is in store for FH4 and I am certain others will be too!

Shannan- Thanks for giving the class on Navigation. I heard many folks talking about how enjoyable it was. Special shout outs to Tiffany for helping make sausage gravy and biscuits with me at 7 am while others slept in and to Patches for keeping an eye on Daemon and Chloe while I tried to keep an eye on everything else.

FLB, FLG, SpecialK and FloridaHanger - Thanks for helping out in the kitchen! Each of you will forever have a special place in my heart. I know KP is not a fun job.

DetailMan - I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the dinner triangle. Thanks so much for putting your time and talent into making something so special for your Florida friends. Thanks to the LittleD's who helped make it too! I am so pleased that each year your family travels down to Florida to spend some time with us.

Paul and MissyLou - Thanks for coming down! Thanks for the items you contributed to the raffle. I know Timberrr was eyeing that top quilt that JaxHiker won. I wish you all the best on your upcoming wedding. Remember, PICS or it didn't happen!

Running Feather - For keeping the fire stoked. I'm glad we had enough wood for you!
    It was great meeting you and I enjoyed the chance to get to talk with you.

Old4Hats and Carol - Thank you for the bracelet. It was an unexpected and beautiful gift. The pound cake was very good too! Both of you were a delight to meet and talk with.

To everyone who provided items for the raffle, contributed to FH3, attended a class, rang the dinner bell, walked the dogs, took a picture to share, bought a raffle ticket or made the effort to be there thank you. Because of YOU, some funds have already been set aside for next years hang, the site has already be reserved for FH4 (please don't start a planning thread), and seven hundred dollars will split between the Florida Trail Association and a Non-Profit Organization that specifically supports Hammock Hanging in Florida State Parks.

I'll post later with some of my fondest memories of FH3.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flackfizer View Post
    Great--thanks and we are on it. These things happen!
    All the time. I'm glad things will work out!
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    WB
    Tarp
    UGQ WD +2 pole mod
    Insulation
    Detail UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    mostly reliable!
    Images

Items that were left behind.

If you recognize anything and would like it back, let me know. I will be more than glad to get it back to you. I think one of them has already been claimed and a second is waiting for next of kin notification.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Lite Owl; Light Hiker
    Tarp
    Toxaway;MacCat Dlx
    Insulation
    Burrow; Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    seven hundred dollars will split between the Florida Trail Association and a Non-Profit Organization that specifically supports Hammock Hanging in Florida State Parks.
    On behalf of the FTA let me say thank you.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Trail Issues? Please let me know.
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images

Good Friends, Good Times, Good Eats

To everyone who helped make this happen: thank you!

I've never been anywhere in my life (other than the previous FL Hang) that I loved every dish I tried. You are all a wonderfully talented group of cooks! Your hard work is definitely appreciated.

To the organizers: I've got a little bit of an idea (not enough, but some) of how hard it must've been to get everyone on the same page. Your efforts made everything else relatively effortless, and I thank you for that.

For the sponsors, thank you for donating to a great cause: the advancement of relaxation in our state. I think we could all use some, and your products helped raise funds that will go directly toward that cause.

~~~~~~~~~~

My story begins the night before the hang. With usual (for me, unfortunately) last-minute procrastination, I decided that a down underquilt would be the perfect accessory to bring down to FH3. Unfortunately, I made a complete and utter hash of the quilt (no, you won't be seeing pics of this one, unless you want a "How Not to Make a Quilt" tutorial)...and got out of bed at 4:30 AM the day of the hang to finish the durned thing.

By 7:30, I was done...and realized that the thing wasn't going to fit my hammock. Well, crud. Post-haste packing commenced, and I was on the bike headed out of Gainesville by 8:30.

There was quite a bit of wind on the road on Friday, and I--fortunately--was moving with it for the first half of the day. Breaking thirteen miles per hour for most of the ride down US 441, I rolled along in comfort.

I stopped in the small town of Micanopy, approximately twelve miles into the journey, to eat a snack and use the restroom. Rolling on, I passed through the small community of McIntosh soon after and stopped just south of there at one of the gas stations along the way for another snack and some water.

Unfortunately, due to my late start, I reached the US 441/US 301 interchange at approximately 11:00, exactly when I'd feared I might. The traffic along US 441 south of that interchange is fierce, and the bike lane narrows down to approximately half of its previous width. Several close calls with traffic, including a dump truck that just missed me, and I was ready to find an alternate route.

I turned east onto NW 100th St. and followed that back road to CR 200A (the old US 301 road bed). Turning south onto CR 200A, I had a short pedal to reach SR 326. I then turned left onto SR 326, into the teeth of the wind.

As 326 curved south, the wind began to hit me broadside, nearly pushing me off of the road on at least two different occasions. The wind was fierce, perhaps in the fifteen to twenty mile per hour range, with gusts reaching twenty-five or maybe even thirty. I rode on, though, soon enough turning far enough soutbound that the wind aided me once more.

I turned onto SR 40 at approximately 12:30 and headed east through the forest. By this point in the day, I had covered forty-two of my seventy-five miles--with about forty minutes of breaks. That equates to an average speed during movement of about thirteen miles an hour--fairly respectable, especially on a beach cruiser.

From the time I turned east on SR 40 to the time I reached US 19, I had one thirty-minute break. It took me two and an half hours of actual riding to cover that distance--approximately twenty-five miles. Which means that I was doing an average of only ten miles an hour. That wind was rough.

Soon enough, though, I reached the turn for US 19 and headed south once again. The forest road leading to Buck Lake loomed up out of the afternoon's grey horizon, and I followed FR 22 without incident. I reached Buck Lake at approximately 4:00.

Rolling into camp, Mr.Tattoo immediately greeted me and showed me the spot I'd be staying for the weekend: right by the parking lot. I needed a spot where I could put a largish t*** for Mrs. FLRider in addition to my hammock, and the only one within decent walking distance of the loading area was right there.

Soon enough, I was set up and saying hello to a lot of familiar faces--and quite a few new friends, as well. I would try to name everyone I saw this weekend, except that I know I would fail. You are all wonderful folks, and I truly enjoyed everyone's company.

As the darkness gathered on Friday night, the warm glow of the fire kept off the chilly breeze. I sat and ate the wonderful pulled pork, gumbo, and turkey that was served, as well as some of the absolutely stunning desserts that came out of the myriad Dutch ovens. Chatting with friends old and new, warm in both body and soul, I was at ease. It is, perhaps, not unusual, then, that sleep overtook me early that evening: I retired at about eight.

That night was a little bit chilly for my current under insulation; it got down to 46* F according to my little thermometer, and I was slightly damp when I woke. I'm not entirely sure that IX is the right under insulation for me; it just doesn't pass quite enough vapor for me to stay warm. If I was dry using it, I would be fine. However, I'm not, unfortunately.

Waking early the next morning, I quickly made "coffee" before attempting to socialize with anyone. The higher functions of my brain that control my social skills don't quite awaken until halfway through the second cup, and I wanted to spare anyone from having to deal with me before they did.

As soon as they did, however, I made my way on down to the common area and joined in the Mountain Man Breakfast and conversation. That day, MAD777 was leading an hike along the FT for seven miles, and I'd really wanted to join. Both fortunately and unfortunately (for the scheduling), Mrs. FLRider was due to arrive during the time span that the hike was occurring. So, instead of going on the hike, I continued to hang out at Buck Lake until her arrival.

She arrived in good time, and I set up the t*** for her, placing my huge Hennessy Hex tarp over it due to the deteriorating rain fly. She socialized for a bit, but due to her busy week decided to retire and catch a nap before all of Saturday's festivities.

I joined in the nav course that Shannan was running--thanks for the refresher and answering all of my (probably annoying) questions, Shannan--which was a blast. Soon enough, it was getting on in time for the group photo and raffle.

I went and woke Mrs. FLRider for the group photo, and she joined me for the raffle as well. It was the first raffle in my life where I'd won anything, and I was overjoyed to receive an entire cook kit: stove, pot stand, a day's worth of meals, and a cozie. I will be sending e-mail thanks to the donating companies and PMs to the individual members who donated.

Dinner that evening was scrumptious, with a low country boil (spicy!), gumbo, and beef stew. Conversations around the fire, fueled by good food and better company, were even more appetizing. All too soon, though, I was feeling the call of the hammock. I retired from the festivities for another night of comfortable sleep.

It reached a low in the low fifties that night (I don't remember the exact temp, unfortunately), and I was warm enough. Emerging from the hammock, I again made "coffee" before attempting conversation. This time, though, I was able to share a warm drink in companionable silence with Mrs. FLRider--the highlight of my day.

Soon enough, we wandered over to the common area, where the breakfast was in full swing. Sunday was another day of land navigation class, and I learned several things I'd never heard of before. It was both informative and fun, a testament to Shannan's skill in that arena.

Sunday afternoon, Mrs. FLRider and I went for a day hike out to the end of the feeder trail for the FT. Unfortunately, I took the wrong turn at one of the forks and wound up in a cul-de-sac. With dinner coming on fast, I made an executive decision that she and I would return rather than hunting through the woods for the blue blaze to the FT.

Dinner on Sunday was a slightly less formal affair, with many folks having already left. Still, it was wonderful, with shrimp and sausage gumbo, cilantro chicken corn rice, chicken and cabbage soup, and turkey chili. So many cobblers were made that I couldn't keep track.

Later on that evening, I left the companionship around the fire reluctantly and headed for the hammock. I had an early morning coming up, and I wanted to be able to help Mrs. FLRider pack the car--she had Monday off for once, and I wanted to take advantage of that.

Monday morning was a whirl of reluctant farewells and wonderful food. Mrs. FLRider and I had the car packed by 11:00 and headed back towards Gainesville. Many wonderful memories were made this weekend, and I wouldn't have traded it for the world.

~~~~~~~~~~

Pictures:

My nest among the trees:

Early morning over Buck Lake:

Great folks to spend a weekend with:

The second day of orienteering class:

Obligatory caveman TV shot:

Zukiguy roasting weenies:

Sunset over the lake:

Attached Images Attached Images
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DD frontline
    Tarp
    DD 3mx3m
    Insulation
    PLUQ & PLOQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    Quote Originally Posted by samsara View Post
    There is a link to the HF thread in my signature and a short promo video that one of last years attendees made. There is also a separate FL Hangers web page that will have additional information, maps, gps points/files, etc. The planning hasn't really begun yet because we have all been concentrating on FH3 but we'll probably start nailing things down in the next couple of weeks.

This would be about midway between the Suwanee and Ft Myers (if you head east from Tampa and stop right in the center... that's me) and might have some slightly different stuff to look at... but you have probably seen a fair bit that is similar. I, however, am biased and think that you've never seen anything in FL to compare to my forest

If you can make it, great, if not then we'll see you at FH4! There will also be a hike-n-hang in March a bit north of Tampa and I think there is a group planning a big hang in the Jacksonville area in March.

Dave
    This sounds interesting. And closer to where I live..

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast