Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    New Member RED531's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Full Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie,trunks
    Posts
    48
    Images
    3

    Looking at a leighlo top quilt

    i've been in the market for a new top quilt, due to my sleeping bag giving me a lot of issues while in the hammock. So after a bit of searching i found the leighlo top quilts from www.hammockquilts.com and was wanting to see if anybody has had any experience with these top quilts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member Roche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    off line
    Posts
    949
    Images
    2
    Santa gave me one for Christmas (and I need to do a proper review on it). It kept me toasty warm on a 19 degree night in the Smokies. Very well made and very reasonably priced. Features include: "tie down points" on the exterior of the footend to lace a pad to the exterior for additional insulation for the feet; at the head end there is a clip to "lock" the top around your neck with an adjustable cord on the front to fine tune the tension; silky smooth fabric; aesthetic color pattern; top notch quality. The karo baffle construction on the top makes it a breeze to fluff up the down - and there is plenty of down. You will not be dissapointed.

  3. #3
    New Member RED531's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Full Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie,trunks
    Posts
    48
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Santa gave me one for Christmas (and I need to do a proper review on it). It kept me toasty warm on a 19 degree night in the Smokies. Very well made and very reasonably priced. Features include: "tie down points" on the exterior of the footend to lace a pad to the exterior for additional insulation for the feet; at the head end there is a clip to "lock" the top around your neck with an adjustable cord on the front to fine tune the tension; silky smooth fabric; aesthetic color pattern; top notch quality. The karo baffle construction on the top makes it a breeze to fluff up the down - and there is plenty of down. You will not be dissapointed.
    about what size does it pack down to?

  4. #4
    New Member bschap1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    kingston, Pa.
    Hammock
    clark nx-150
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    leighlo tq/uq
    Suspension
    whoopieslings
    Posts
    43
    my 30 degree tq should be here tomorrow. i'd be happy to post some pics up if none come this threads way by then.

  5. #5
    New Member RED531's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Full Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie,trunks
    Posts
    48
    Images
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by bschap1 View Post
    my 30 degree tq should be here tomorrow. i'd be happy to post some pics up if none come this threads way by then.
    thanks i would much appreciate that

  6. #6
    Senior Member MedicineMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Roan Mountain,TN
    Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Posts
    5,659
    Images
    76

    4 Leighlo's in the house

    These are top notch quilts. I've spent some time hiking with one of Leighlo's field researchers....these are proven in the out of doors long before they arrive on your doorstep.
    +1 to all the features Roche mentioned; I'll add the karo step baffling just looks cool too.
    Another thing you can do with those tie out points is this. Sometimes (often for me) when I'm getting in and out of the hammock for the midnight potty run the top quilt gets catywampus on me. When I get back in sometimes I've unintentionally rearranged the head end for the bottom end --a piece of thin shock cord/bungie tied from one of those tie off points to the foot gathered end prevents this dissaray.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Roche's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    off line
    Posts
    949
    Images
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by RED531 View Post
    about what size does it pack down to?
    Plenty small, but I'm of the school overcompressing down is not a good thing. In a pack, I keep my down in an 8L stuff sack (double sack and in a trash compactor bag if weather dictates) which is placed in the bottom of the pack. Everything else gets put on top which will compress the down. And at home all down is aired out to dry and then stored as loose as possible.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    North Augusta, SC
    Hammock
    WBBB;Clark American when cold
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Down Quilts
    Suspension
    Kelvar/cinch buckl
    Posts
    68

    Question Over compressing down

    Quote Originally Posted by RED531 View Post
    i've been in the market for a new top quilt, due to my sleeping bag giving me a lot of issues while in the hammock. So after a bit of searching i found the leighlo top quilts from www.hammockquilts.com and was wanting to see if anybody has had any experience with these top quilts?
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    Plenty small, but I'm of the school overcompressing down is not a good thing. In a pack, I keep my down in an 8L stuff sack (double sack and in a trash compactor bag if weather dictates) which is placed in the bottom of the pack. Everything else gets put on top which will compress the down. And at home all down is aired out to dry and then stored as loose as possible.
    I have a new leighlo 30 degree top quilt purchased this spring. I have not used it yet, but I did pack it in a small stuff sack to see how it packed down and removed it a few minutes later. It was work getting it in the stuff sack. Now my top quilt will not fluff up like it did before I compressed it. IS THERE A CURE FOR THIS? I sure hope there is a way to bring it back to life!

  9. #9
    Senior Member brushybill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    murrells inlet ,sc
    Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    Posts
    221
    i have the older version, love it, it is going on my thru hike with me in march and i am looking at getting a summer quilt from her as well

  10. #10
    New Member RED531's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Campbellsville, Ky
    Hammock
    Clark North American
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Full Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie,trunks
    Posts
    48
    Images
    3
    ya for $200 the 30F quilt looked like a great deal. It was going to be between hers and an underground top quilt.

Similar Threads

  1. Leighlo Top Quilt: 30 Degree: Black/Green one of the last one made
    By Free Home in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-26-2014, 08:39
  2. WTB: Leighlo 30* Top Quilt
    By Gravity in forum Want to Buy
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 23:34
  3. LeighLo's Top Quilt
    By Roche in forum Top Insulation
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2012, 20:37
  4. FS LeighLo 2/3 0* UQ
    By DuctTape in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-14-2011, 21:57

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •