Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    IMO on the river is the best bet. The trails are beat by horses or they grow up in summer. Second creek is an ok site as well as three springs.

My favorite float is Nolin from the dam down to houchins. Nolin has some great early spring scenery. The woods are in full bloom but still open enough to see the bluffs and hemlocks up on them.

The flood plain is quite large in some places. You can get well up away from the river and creeks if you wish. Be careful with any fires or cooking and practice lnt.

Hammock
    $20 yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    Eno Dry Fly
    Insulation
    enLightened UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I tent camped one of their remote sites in '11, as long as they allow hammocks id say go for it

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Inc 0/UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by rcurry View Post
    I've had a couple of trips kayak camping on the Green River in Mammoth Cave National Park. I loved it!
    Hanging and paddling = peas & carrots. It just goes together perfectly.
    I'm planning a trip down Green River right now from Dennison's Ferry to Houchin's Ferry. Have you made this trip?

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    I'm hoping to do this or the red river gorge on vacation. Was thinking of the tecumseh trail but don't think I am ready for that. Plus I want some more views. Hoping for a little solitude also seeing how it'll be during the week. Looking at the elevation changes here vs. Red river. I know the gorge has big elevation changes but this doesn't look too bad. Any suggestions?
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitup View Post
    I'm planning a trip down Green River right now from Dennison's Ferry to Houchin's Ferry. Have you made this trip?
    Yes I have. I did it split in two different trips due to the friends that I convinced to join me and their schedules.

The first trip I did inside the park was the Dennison Ferry to Green River Ferry. The second trip was Green River Ferry to Houchins Ferry. Both were great trips. Just a note about putting in at Dennison and the only reason I even mention it is that I was a bit surprised. I had never seen a kayak/canoe “shoot” before. That is what I’m calling the handrail height V shaped wooden rails that go down the very tall (knee height) steep steps that lead down to the water at Dennison. You can put your boat on the V shaped rails and slide your boat down. Otherwise you may struggle getting all the way down the steps (2 sets, 2 levels) with your boat and then all your gear. I’m not the most graceful and walking up/down crazy steps carrying kayaks & gear is not one of my strong points. I would actually dread taking out at Dennison Ferry. Putting in takes a little time but I can manage it. It’s not all easy fun and games becoming an old lady. But as long as I can be out on the water, I WILL.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    Any suggestions?
    How many days?

Stay on the north side trails.

http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/trails.htm

For two nights I would park at First Creek trailhead and stay the night at Second Creek campsite. It is located at the confluence of Second Creek and Nolin River. Hike up the bluff to the Temple Hill Trailhead and down the ridge on the McCoy Hollow Trail and stay at the McCoy Hollow site night two. Then you hike back to the First Creek Trailhead on the McCoy Hollow Trail.

That will be about 13 miles.

For one night I would go from Temple Hill trailhead and hike down to one of the First Creek sites or depending upon how far you want to go stay the night at Second creek campsite.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by yakitup View Post
    Yes. You can do it as a single night camp.

We left out about 10:00 from Dennisons and hit where we camped, maybe 3 miles downstream from the Green River Ferry, about 30 minutes before nightfall (August).

If you go now you won't run into this but in the summer the river is packed and the better (tent) camping spots go quick. So if you are with tenters (I was) it makes it a little trickier to get a spot.

There is a great spot up a feeder creek past Turnhole bend aobut a mile on the north side of the river. It is just wide enough to get a kayak in but opens up and shallows out. You go about 100 feet up the creek and it forks. The right fork is just fed by run-off from the hills. The left fork is fed by a spring that comes up out of a cave. The best way to find it is to check the water temp coming out of the feeder creeks. In summer it will be ice cold. In winter it may feel warmer. The reasons it is so good of a place to camp is A) it is not a camp site B) clean cold water C) you are up off the river a ways and more secluded.

The kayak/canoe "cradle" at Dennisons is a trip.

Hammock
    HH Safari
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Potomac UnderQuilt
    Suspension
    diywhoopies/straps
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    Yes. You can do it as a single night camp.

We left out about 10:00 from Dennisons and hit where we camped, maybe 3 miles downstream from the Green River Ferry, about 30 minutes before nightfall (August).

If you go now you won't run into this but in the summer the river is packed and the better (tent) camping spots go quick. So if you are with tenters (I was) it makes it a little trickier to get a spot.

There is a great spot up a feeder creek past Turnhole bend aobut a mile on the north side of the river. It is just wide enough to get a kayak in but opens up and shallows out. You go about 100 feet up the creek and it forks. The right fork is just fed by run-off from the hills. The left fork is fed by a spring that comes up out of a cave. The best way to find it is to check the water temp coming out of the feeder creeks. In summer it will be ice cold. In winter it may feel warmer. The reasons it is so good of a place to camp is A) it is not a camp site B) clean cold water C) you are up off the river a ways and more secluded.

The kayak/canoe "cradle" at Dennisons is a trip.
    Aha..."cradle". That sounds much kinder and gentler than a "shoot". But honestly as steep as it is I sort of launched my boat down like a slow arrow shooting out. I did hold on to my rope so as not to have the boat leave without me and the rest of the gear. Fun times! I can't wait for it to warm up and hit it again this spring.

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    Quote Originally Posted by smashdn View Post
    How many days?

Stay on the north side trails.

http://www.nps.gov/maca/planyourvisit/trails.htm

For two nights I would park at First Creek trailhead and stay the night at Second Creek campsite. It is located at the confluence of Second Creek and Nolin River. Hike up the bluff to the Temple Hill Trailhead and down the ridge on the McCoy Hollow Trail and stay at the McCoy Hollow site night two. Then you hike back to the First Creek Trailhead on the McCoy Hollow Trail.

That will be about 13 miles.

For one night I would go from Temple Hill trailhead and hike down to one of the First Creek sites or depending upon how far you want to go stay the night at Second creek campsite.
    I was actually planning on like four days..thought maybe do the whole loop thing..sal hollow then to first creek then raymer hollow and back out? Thinking that the sal hollo would be the longest..or maybe start out from first creek trail head and go counter clockwise?
    whatya think? should be plenty of water available at all those sites and sal hollow is hikers only I believe.. I know i a out of shape so I am allowing alot of time here to do this..
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    ENO Camo Profly
    Insulation
    LeighLo UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainhanger View Post
    should be plenty of water available at all those sites and sal hollow is hikers only I believe.
    Water shouldn't be a problem. It came a gully washer all up through there about 4 hours ago.

I don't know about it being hikers only. I worked with a guy that was big into biking and he kept me up to date on the Sal Hollow trail as it was the mtn. biking trail. I had heard that they closed it to biking and opened it up to the horse people. But supposedly they were building a mtn. bike trail on the east side of the Ferry road that runs north-south. Not sure if that is done yet or not. I know it isn't on the maps that I can find.

The horse people must have a lot of pull up there. I'm not a fan generally.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast