Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by Demeter View Post
    Hey Wiktor, I grew up in Parker! Went to Franktown HS!!

Anyway, I saw you listed bear spray and a bear container. Where do you plan on hiking? I see a lot of people in the east go a little crazy with the bear stuff, but IMHO it is overkill for a lot of the areas we hike in here. Just saying HYOH.

I use a 12"x12" cut square of ccf for a sit pad. I like to have something under my bum, expecially since I hike in a kilt. But that works for me. Plus, I have slipped into my UQ when I have CBS and have been thankful for it.

Are you new to backpacking? If so, take lots of frequent, short trips, and you will tweak your system to your liking. I can promise you will want to swap out some gear after a few trips.....

Good luck!!
    I'm polish. I moved to States 3 years ago. Spray for safety, not going to compromise it. Bear canister is on the list just in case i hike in areas where it is a must. I won't take it 99% of time. I am new to hiking.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The PD32 is a great light. I just got the PD32UE with 740lumen burst, it's insane! If your headband doesn't work out with that, I can highly recommend the Zebralight H600w. I take it since I always start my trips out in the dark and hike a few miles before setting up. Crazy long run times and 645lumens max. I think it's a good idea to carry a spare as well. I use a Fenix E11 for that.

I like the chemical water treatment. I'm also considering this for no bulk and hardly any weight.

Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by sodakgrrl View Post
    Not sure that you would need to carry a blanket if you have both a TQ and an UQ?
    Yep, i was thinking the same. I will put it in my car :-)

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY winter
    Insulation
    ATP
    Suspension
    Whoopies & webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    keep a journal of what works and doesn't, what you use and don't. This way you'll get your kit dialed in.
    Definitely agree with this one. I cut out a huge amount of excess when I discovered what I don't use. Of course, I still carry some emergency things, even if I never use them.

P.S. Welcome to hiking! You live in a beautiful area for it.

Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Quote Originally Posted by BullFrog View Post
    Definitely agree with this one. I cut out a huge amount of excess when I discovered what I don't use. Of course, I still carry some emergency things, even if I never use them.

P.S. Welcome to hiking! You live in a beautiful area for it.
    I have tried to read online hiking gear lists including hikelight.com, verber consulting (he has excellent excel gear list) andrew skurka book etc. So im hoping to hit trail prepared.

Ps and this forum obviously !!!

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie
    Suspension
    DaisyChain/Carab
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I just skimmed over it, so I might have missed it, but I'd suggest a headlamp if you don't have that on there. I saw the flashlight, but a headlamp is a must as far as I'm concerned (it's nice to be able to use both hands)
    Seconded, forget the regular sized flashlight and use a headlamp.

I do; however, carry a tiny LED flashlight just in case. It is slightly bigger than the AAA battery it houses.

Hammock
    Hexon 1.6 Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Winter Haven
    Insulation
    Climashield UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies / Straps
    What is the wallet on your list? I would go with a ziploc, id, credit card and a few bucks.

And if you are going to switch to a headlamp, you might consider the petzl elite. A whole lot of features for under an ounce.

Hammock
    DH T-BIRD - SL 1.8 poly
    Tarp
    HG CF 4
    Insulation
    LeighLo/HG
    Suspension
    Adj web, whoopies
    I did not recognize some of your clothing selections but would highly recommend rain jacket and pants. I rarely wear pants but always bring them. If temps drop or you have to hike in the rain (or both) you will be glad you have them.

+1 on the headlamp. I use a petzl tikka + with the core battery (it adds recharge ability, regulated power and programmability).

Also sock liners are really great if you're doing a lot of miles reducing hot spots and needing fewer pairs of socks, reducing weight and bulk.

If you are always hiking where you are sure of finding good water supplies like a stream you are fine with the aquamira. But if not consider a hiker pro or other pump, you can get water out of a mud puddle if you need to.

I have a bearicade and they are the best (I have teeth marks on it to prove it) but only use in the adirondacks. Other times I use a ursack which is more like 5 oz and keeps the knawing critters out.

My 2cents
    John aka Suede

Tarp
    Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti
    Wallet: it's more of reminder that i need cash, id, credit card on me.
    I have rain jacket and pants by paradox bought in costco.
    According to stuff i read i'll go with coffee filter and aquamira. I don't see a need for pump style filter.
    Yes, i'm trying to go as light as possible yet I am not Orthodox gram counter, otherwise i would cut off my testicles to save some weight as i'm not using them anyway....

Hammock
    DIY Timber Wolf or Grey Wolf
    Tarp
    DIY Wolf Den
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear, UGQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    BackpackingLight.com has some neat ideas on going ultralight. Check them out as well. AquaMira is the best. I've not used filters in years.

I'd say you're on the right track. Keep doing what you're doing. Get out and enjoy. Then keep going back for more.
    The beauty of sunsets,
    The wind in the pines,
    The mountains give these and more...
    Peace of mind.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12