Page 105 of 258 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 2579
    OrbitScant

What made me a hanger

I became a hanger because of the comfort a hammock gives you. I've always loved the outdoors and used to camp in a tent. But as I've gotten older I developed arthritis and sleeping on hard ground was becoming impossible. But since I started to hang I realized that there are many more benefits to 'hanging'. Site selection, ease of pitching and the social aspect of a group hang are also a big draw. Also a lighter pack load has made my hikes a lot more enjoyable.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    hennessey
    Insulation
    UQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies

why I started

Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    I started Hanging about a year ago because I was in the military and did alot of BIVWAC's. Basically a military camping trip with guns and field movements but we slept in bivys, on the ground, and I got sick of ground pads so I looked for an alternate way to sleep and I Picked up an ENO DN hammock and immediately make my own whoopiesling type suspension and later bought whoopies and i already had some light weight tree huggers and a ridgeline. and then it was love at first hang. Ive done several trips with it and am trying to find the best underquilt for me and maybe change out my ENO dryfly for a warbonnet.com rig and hope for the best this summer.

Any thoughts on an upgrade to a WBBB hammock?
    or how to use those ENO "floppy sides to my advantage like maybe secure them to the ridgeline with holes and shock cord? or a zipper?

Hammock
    ENO Singlenest
    Suspension
    stock
    I spend a lot of time out in the woods beings an assistant scoutmaster and a venturing crew advisor and i loved it but was having issues with my back. It would take me an hour of streching in the morning just to be able to move my back. I was thinking that i was going to have to stop tenting with the boys when one day my friend showed me one of Shugs videos (the shortbread one actually ) and I thought he was entertaining so I started watching his hammock videos and ever since then I have been Hangin out in the piney woods.

P.S. Have also been making the shortbread for friends and family since too.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by venturingscout View Post
    I spend a lot of time out in the woods beings an assistant scoutmaster and a venturing crew advisor and i loved it but was having issues with my back. It would take me an hour of streching in the morning just to be able to move my back. I was thinking that i was going to have to stop tenting with the boys when one day my friend showed me one of Shugs videos (the shortbread one actually ) and I thought he was entertaining so I started watching his hammock videos and ever since then I have been Hangin out in the piney woods.

P.S. Have also been making the shortbread for friends and family since too.
    Whooooo Buddy....Shortbread is the Hammock Gateway Treat))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 Ripstop Nylon Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Cat-Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    LineLocker/Whoopie
    Plain and Simple; Tired of sleeping on the hard ground!
    See You In The Trees
    & Keep It Hanging

http://www.youtube.com/user/Laochri?feature=watch

Hammock
    WBRR DL
    Tarp
    WB BMJ w/ DOOR KIT
    Insulation
    HG/Thermorest Pad
    Suspension
    DIY WS

post 0.1

Ive been a camper all life and over the last few years shifted my interest to travel camping. My favorite is a good motorcycle ride with stealth camping along the route...yes Im on ADV.

I see hammocks as a natural progression from compact tents. My moto-camping tents arent of any use except for sleeping so why not have a more comfortable bed and larger usable area under tarp.

Being in the Appalachian foothills of North GA trees are easier to find than level ground.

Been lurking for a while now and Shug is a riot...The youtube channel is epic.

i started hanging because its so versatile.slopes and tents dont work well.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Chinook 12x9.6
    Insulation
    Gar-quilt PL
    Suspension
    TS, Ring Buckles
    I started about 8 months ago when a buddy suggested I take his hammock for a 3 day trip in Texas. I almost bought it off of him, but I didn't. Some of the best sleep I've ever had.

1goodscout
    Although I was a fanatic about tent design and had spent quite a lot on various tents (Stephensons was my most expensive), I was never really comfortable on the ground. I Hated breaking camp. It was slow and often messy. I discovered hammocks out of necessity, however, after herniating a disc in my lower back. Bought my first Hennessy...problem solved.

Hammock
    D.I.Y
    Tarp
    ENO Housefly
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    D.I.Y Whoopies
    I have always enjoyed hammocks in the backyard but i would have to say the Shugs videos really got me into the whole camping idea.

• + New Posts
  • Page 105 of 258 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast