WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WHOOPIE!

What made you a "hanger"?

I became a hanger after watching youtube for backpacking ideas. I eventually came across Shug's videos and was intrigued. Hos videos are entertaining enough that I watched every one and got sold on hammock camping. The lady and I could not be more greatful to finally get quality sleep on our outings.

Hammock
    R-III
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Feathers
    Suspension
    Cinch & Webbing
    Images
    Late August, 2009, a friend and fellow Forum member brought a standard camping hammock along on one of our day-hikes and said “Hey, you have to check this out”, I must admit I did not take him, or the hammock seriously at first but the moment I tried that hammock marked the end of sleeping on the ground and unbeknownst, a new hobby for me! Although, it was the unique comfort that made me a dedicated “hanger”, it’s the engrained DIY attributes of the Hammock Camping culture that lead me to Hammock Forums and continues to foster my gear-making obsession 4 years later, Here's a couple shots. With Cap-in-Hand, a humble thanks to the HF community and my fellow DIY’r, I don’t know what I’d do without this on-going adventure we share.
    Last edited by [o]TTeR; 08-28-2013 at 13:30.
    "I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
    My Photos My Videos

Hammock
    Byer Moskito (first one)
    Images
    I got into hammocking because a buddy at work told me about it. I came into work one day and he had this forum pulled up. After about a week of hearing how awesome it was I bit the bullet and bought a Moskito from REI. I figured, at $50, I'll either love it and comtinue, or hate it and sell it. No major investent. I went out that weekend on a hunting trip and first realized how nice it was to have to carry in so much less "bulk" like with a tent. I did forget a rain tarp, but fortunately I didn't need it. I spent 2 nights in the woods and 3 days hunting. It was the best sleep I've gotten in a while. I'm actually trying to figure out where to hang it in my house now. I sleep better there than in my own bed, and it's a NICE bed!!!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    Kelty Bag & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Another one here that Shug is largely responsible for!

Actually, it wasn't just me. My brother, a good friend, my dad and one of my uncles have all bought hammocks to backpack with.

What MADE me do it? I was already starting to slowly assemble the gear to do some backpacking and I was doing it the wrong way: Spend too much on heavy crap you don't end up using anyway. I was checking out youtube for backpacking lists, pack contents, etc and I stumbled across Shug. I laughed at him, learned from him and related to him. I discovered JustJeff's website around that time as well and it was a huge help.

My dad has suffered on and off form an old slipped vertebrae and never imagined he would come out backpacking with us. He finds the sleep comfort of a hammock better than a mattress and I'm awful glad to have him out with us.

Here's to HF, Shug, JustJeff and everyone that hangs!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hashiba View Post
    Another one here that Shug is largely responsible for!

Actually, it wasn't just me. My brother, a good friend, my dad and one of my uncles have all bought hammocks to backpack with.

What MADE me do it? I was already starting to slowly assemble the gear to do some backpacking and I was doing it the wrong way: Spend too much on heavy crap you don't end up using anyway. I was checking out youtube for backpacking lists, pack contents, etc and I stumbled across Shug. I laughed at him, learned from him and related to him. I discovered JustJeff's website around that time as well and it was a huge help.

My dad has suffered on and off form an old slipped vertebrae and never imagined he would come out backpacking with us. He finds the sleep comfort of a hammock better than a mattress and I'm awful glad to have him out with us.

Here's to HF, Shug, JustJeff and everyone that hangs!
    Whoooooo Buddies))))))) Ya'll made my night a right goodie.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    Amazing shots [o]TTeR. I just your work

And, I can't believe after all this time I have not responded to this thread (after a hundred and some pages).
    I am pretty sure I have one of the oddest answers.
    I was in a high demand group (think, cult, Scientology or FLDS) for 19 years.
    At The height of several of my years there, we were required to bring a tent and live in it for 30 days, 5 days at a time blindfolded and duct taped. uh, yeah
    Needless to say, now that I am thankfully out and in recovery, I cannot even BEGIN to get in a tent. I even hate the full zzzzziiiiipppp sound of 'em.
    So, Not to dissuade my love of the outdoors and hiking,
    I found the hammock forums and Shug's videos.
    I did a ton of research before my hike (to help the 'ol brain and the PTSD, etc)

and I couldn't be happier than having a group of people, whom I now consider friends share knowledge, inspiration, their lives (thinking of RoadRunner today),
    PIFs, Secret Santa.....just e v e r y t h i n g.

And I, of course, am now a walking billboard for hammocks, hiking and camping!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    walmart hammock so far
    Tarp
    8x10 walmart tarp
    Insulation
    closed foam pad
    Suspension
    tree straps to 550
    Well, I am trying to lose weight and was looking for a way to do that and be outside, instead of being in a gym. I found that I really enjoyed hiking, i decided to go from that into backpacking and was trying to get my gear weight down. While researching lighter weight tarp systems and lighter weight tent systems I ran into a video on Youtube. It was called Tarp talk by Shug Emery. After I got up off my floor because I was laughing so hard I fell out of my chair, I subscribed to Shugs channel and have watched almost all his vids. Seeing him out on the trail and how much he enjoyed breakfast from the hammock I got hooked. I have not slept in a tent since.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hevyhanger View Post
    Well, I am trying to lose weight and was looking for a way to do that and be outside, instead of being in a gym. I found that I really enjoyed hiking, i decided to go from that into backpacking and was trying to get my gear weight down. While researching lighter weight tarp systems and lighter weight tent systems I ran into a video on Youtube. It was called Tarp talk by Shug Emery. After I got up off my floor because I was laughing so hard I fell out of my chair, I subscribed to Shugs channel and have watched almost all his vids. Seeing him out on the trail and how much he enjoyed breakfast from the hammock I got hooked. I have not slept in a tent since.
    I just wept a wee bit)))))
    Having some good fun is good fun.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB Double 1.7
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Burrow 20-Phoenix0
    Suspension
    Whoopies-ENO Atlas
    Call me another Shug convert. After watching many of his videos, and pricing the various pieces equipment I decided that I needed to become a "Hanger". Thanks Shug. You may have cost me Money but for a more comfortable night's sleep, I consider it worth it.

Hammock
    Whichever is in my pack
    Insulation
    HG Burrow&Incubatr
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    I became an Assistant Scoutmaster for our local troop about a year ago, and have realized that the ground has become a lot harder that it used to be, and I wanted something fairly lightweight and easy to setup/pack, so I've gotten some gear and am looking forward to my first camping hang in a little over a week from now. =]

• + New Posts
  • Page 145 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4595135143144145146147155195245 ... LastLast