Page 151 of 258 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,510 of 2579
    Lil'Bear

What made you a "hanger"?

I'd been in a few hammocks when I was camping with the "Y" umptifrat (umptifrat= more than I care to think about! ) years ago but they were what I now know are lousy (rope) hammocks. I knew that they were/are used in other parts of the world so I figured that I should revisit them. After spending many days reading about them and reminiscing about my camping days I've decided to take the plunge and DIY some gear since I have this champagne taste but I'm on a water budget. You can probably find me asking questions on the DIY forums.

Hammock
    The one I'm in right now!
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I stumbled across it once in the past & enjoyed it immensely, at least until I had my first long weekend buddying up with "CBS" & that put a chill I guess you could say, on my enthusiasm for a while. It just kept needling me however until I came back and figured out how to deal with that issue. Now my wife & all three of our kids are hangers. Dangle a hammock around them now & they'll follow you anywhere, glassy eyed & groaning like a herd of zombies .
    Gentlemen, the good news is that you've been lied to, there is an easy day. The bad news is that you just missed it. It was yesterday. . . If that'a problem just ring the bell.

Hammock
    WBRR and two WBBBs
    Insulation
    UQ (JRB; WB lynx)

Because of air mattresses...

The thing I've always disliked about camping is the air mattresses. "Good ones" are expensive, but rarely last beyond a couple of uses. Too often one ends up lying on the cold, hard ground. After the last air mattress started leaking, I said, enough is enough, no more. I had seen a friend using hammocks at a group campout a few years ago, and I decided that was the direction I was going to go. The money I've spent in hammocks would have bought a lot of air mattresses, but I'm not going to miss the ground!

The comfort

I've camped my whole life (52 years so far). I've done everything from ultralight to a 150-lb canvas tent to (literally) sleeping on a tree limb. I've slept on the bare ground, in a cot with a 4-inch mattress, and everything in between.

One day I was looking on the web at a "regular" hammock for the back yard and stumbled onto "assymetric" hammocks. I couldn't believe what people wrote about them and started reading everything I could find on the web.

Up to that point, my typical first night in camp was filled with tossing and turning trying to get comfortable (even on that cot with 4-inch mattress). The second night was always a little better but only because I was so tired from not sleeping the night before.

My first night in that hammock went something like this:
    10:00 p.m. - snuggle in - this is different - Now I see what they mean by laying at an angle - I wonder if I can really be comfor....
    6:00 a.m. - what's that light?

That was my first WBBB. Now I have 5 hammocks - different requirements, styles, seasons, moods. I hope I never have to go back to the ground.

Bonus: My boy is a Boy Scout and they practice "leave no trace". When we pack up at the end of a scouting trip we always look around at the flat spots in the grass where the tents were. then we look at the trees where our hammocks hung and think, "Which of us really left no trace?"

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Back about 1980 one of my brothers was getting married 500 miles away and at a remote lake = Many attendees but too few beds in the local cabins. I had my sleeping bag and a very cheap fishnet hammock - so it all started there in the woods on a steep hill by a lake.
    Funny note - I turned in at a reasonable time, but the heaver drinkers didn't and decided it would be funny to toss hotdog parts around my hammock and see what happened. Raccoons are what happened - lots of them:>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    Lite Owl
    Insulation
    Sleepingbag Cocoon
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    Funny note - I turned in at a reasonable time, but the heaver drinkers didn't and decided it would be funny to toss hotdog parts around my hammock and see what happened. Raccoons are what happened - lots of them:>)
    hahahahahaha. Raccoons always make camping interesting.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    Hello,

My name is John and Im an addict : P I live in Northern VA and have been hanging for about 5 years now. I converted basically when after a long painfull night sleeping on the ground and constantly waking up on top of my good friend because we were on a slight slant (its akward waking up on top of your friend no matter how long you have know him) The people on the next campsite were using hammocks and let me lay in one for a few. About 30 minutes later tey had to actually tell me to get out lol.

Anyways been on here for some time and have learned a lot of great stuff. TY HF and all the members who make this a great experience.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    Patrick F. McManus - writer and humorist. Mentioned camping in a hammock in his stories several times. It sounded great, so I went looking for hammocks when I started hiking.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    I love McManus' outdoor adventures.

This summer I took several scouts on a high adventure trip in Northern Colorado. The other adult leader had brought a hammock, not to sleep in but just to relax in. I laid in it a couple of times and it was very comfortable. I started doing some research and a great friend and mentor recommend Hennessy, so I got one.

I'm hooked now and I've had the joy of solving several problems as we camp every month in different places. For camping at the beach, I created a stand based on looking at how slack-liners set up at the beach. I made a set of sand anchors based on some other research (and they worked). Recently, I built a turtle-lady stand based on what I learned here so now I will be able to hammock anywhere. Fortunately, there are plenty of trees here in the hill country and in most of the scout camps. Unfortunately, there are places like Philmont that don't allow hammocks and several places in the desert where there are no trees and the ground is too hard for stakes so I'll need to keep my tent handy. I'm probably going horseback riding in the high desert next summer. I won't be able to take a turtle lady stand with me, so I'm looking for a solution - maybe the handyhammock stand.
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    ENO Profly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin 0* GDD
    Suspension
    biner strap rings

Why, why, why a hammock?

I had a miserable night snow camping on a ridgerest.... I guess miserable doesn't even begin to cover it. I was up every 20 minutes with joint aches, back aches, headaches, etc.

Afterwards I started looking for alternatives. Google lead me to Sgt. Rock's web page and Just Jeff's webpage. Then I found the motherload of Shug's highly informative and tremendously humurous videos on Youtube! And that sealed the deal...

I'm in a season of gathered end hammocks. My first was a double layer homebrew DIY that I could slip my inflatable pad inside. Then followed by a ENO doublenest found at an REI sidewalk sale. Addict, yes! More comfortable than ground camping, absolutely!

I got a few odd looks at elk camp this year, while the others slept in tents and trailers. I was testing out my Underground Quilts 0* deg Zeppelin. Yup, warm and cozy, even in the mid 20's.

Thanks Sgt. Rock, Just Jeff and Shug. It's all your fault! :-)
    Last edited by baldwima; 11-21-2013 at 23:37. Reason: addition

• + New Posts
  • Page 151 of 258 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast