Grizz Bridge
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    sleepingbag+pad
    Suspension
    Webbing&descenders

Thumbs up currently tent camping

Currently I am tent camping but I intend to change that soon. I will need all the experience and information I can find. but my thoughts on hanging are that it is a more comfortable sleep, easier to fit more individuals into a campsite, and most of all less weight for packing.

Honestly, I am a little embarrassed by this. I saw a picture on Pinterest while browsing camping stuff. I had also been looking for ground pads because my husband has a hard time getting comfortable on anything less than a matress. It was like a light bulb went off. Now I am in process of building our set up for spring! Can't wait!

Hammock
    GT Double w/Bias buginator
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Thermarest pad
    Suspension
    DIY WS w/treehug
    Was section hiking the AT in Connecticut as a tent camper last summer and one night this mysterious UFO was instantly set up. Looked like a cool set up!
    For Christmas I received a gift certificate from REI and stopped in a store and saw hammocks for sale and walked out with a GT double for $20. Thought even if I am not converted I got in pretty cheap. I have spent a couple of months lurking around the forum and have decided to make some whoopee slings, and pick up a tarp and bug net and give it a try.
    I am also trying to lessen my pack load, was carrying 50 lbs. (incl. food) and don't want to repeat that, thought the hammock seemed like a good way to start that process as well. Thanks for all of the great info.

Very simple for me. My friend had a hammock. I sat in it. I fell in love.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl
    Tarp
    Wilderness Logic
    Insulation
    Army Poncho Liner
    Suspension
    Whoopie & HF Strap
    The only way I sleep well in the woods is on a 3+" pad, having said that I was reading on another site how comfortable (allegedly, still piecing a hang together) hammocks are. But it came down to a really bad case of Cabin Fever coupled with a need to improve my gear and techniques.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    WB straps
    I used to be a ground guy, mostly tarps, sometimes a bivy. But the ground was becoming uncomfortable the older I got, though I probably had a few more years of ground camping in me...however, an incident last March involving a 6 ft snake trying to work his way into my bag for some cuddle time at 2am convinced me that maybe it's time to look for a new system for sleeping outside. I mean, I'm all for communing with nature and the like, but sharing a sleeping bag right away is a bit much...at least buy me dinner and a movie first, eh? So, I decided that since I already enjoy napping in hammocks during the day, why not try it at night? I gave it a shot, found I sleep much better that way, and haven't looked back since.

Hammock
    Multicam WBBB XLC (Lefty)
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    JRB MW3
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love hiking and camping, but after a few days of sleeping on the ground (thermarest or not) I look forward to nothing more than my comfy bed at home. Since I wanted to enjoy the outdoors even more, I switched to a hammock. Now the only thing I look forward to after a few days on the trail is a nice, juicy burger...and my family, of course! Comfort, coolness, and lightweight/portability are all reasons why I hang.
    Using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    I had fallen asleep a couple of times in a outside our second home in SE Asia.
    Then at home in Norway I saw some TV shows about Lars Monsens various expeditions where he use a tarp as his shelter against the elements in winter. I wanted to do that too.
    But before I got to that point I stumbled across some Bushcrafters on Youtube using hammocks. And remebering how comfortable they where I ended up getting one....never sleeping on the ground again...

simpledesign
    I do a lot of mountain biking and building mountain bike trails...I talked to a guy that had an ENO set up over a waterfall and thought, "I am missing an great opportunity to spend a day in the woods."

Hammock
    EasyHammock Hiker XL green
    Tarp
    ID Siltarp2
    Insulation
    Down sleeping bag
    Suspension
    Issue EasyHammock
    Well I liked the idea of a hammock for some time, it's elegant just like tarp camping (I'm 6'4'' 260 pounds and I hate tents with all my hearth). But my laziness kept me from exploring the subject.
    Until last years BUSHMOOT (google it) when I found myself freezing on the ground as my sleeping bag have seen better days. After a chat by the fire someone gave me his spare hammock to try and it worked for me beautifully. So I have dived in to all those slings, quilts and knots.

It took me a while to put a name on the reason why I like it but I finally did. And that was the final step to get over the fence. There is one big benefit of hammocking I havent seen on any hammock pros list:
    It is clean and elegant.
    No crawling on all fours in to the damp tent, no carrying snow on your boots in to your shelter, no scrubbing the mud off the groundsheet after each trip and no unwanted company (one morning I woke up to a wet sleeping bag because something peed on me)...

So hammock all the way

• + New Posts
  • Page 158 of 258 FirstFirst ... 58108148156157158159160168208 ... LastLast