Page 161 of 258 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,610 of 2579

long time coming to hammocks

In the early 90's I was a camp counselor in Pennsylvania. My job was leading hiking and canoe trips. All the overnights were by canoe and we packed heavy: skillet and dutch oven. Generally the ground is very rocky and I picked up a little mesh hammock at the local 5 and dime and napped in it. I thought about sleeping nights in it but it wasn't comfortable enough. Another counselor was considering an AT through hike and asked me all sorts of questions about the Teva sandals I was wearing while canoeing. He was thinking of through hiking in sandals. Dunno if he ever tried it. Those ideas have been on my mind ever since but I never pursued them. I'm now in California, without a canoe, but my kids are now old enough to carry packs. My family did our first hike-in camping (1 mile over sand) two summers ago. We borrowed some equipment and I got out my old Eureka timberline from camp counseling. My pack was about 60 lbs! I vowed, never again! That got me researching 'ultralight backpacking' and that lead to 'Hammock Forums'. I like to make stuff so now I'm putting all to together 20 some years later. I've learned so much from this forum and I'm so grateful so I thought it was time to join.

Hammock
    DH Darien/DIY
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    JrB, HG, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    About two years ago our scoutmaster brought his hammock to a camp-out. I immediately wanted to try one. After thinking about it and not knowing what to buy someone recommended a HH. I bought one from Amazon about a year ago. It was great sleeping in it but I wasn't crazy about the suspension or the bottom entry. I also was curious about bottom insulation. After researching Google for hammock tips it brought me here. Now the whole family has their own hammock(I have four) and I just set up to sleep full time in one.

Where will it stop

Technically, I would be classified as a "prospective hanger." I am planning an AT Thru-Hike and of course in that research, came across SGT Rocks site. The deeper, and deeper I went the more intriguing hanging became. I like the idea of customizing my "home" and the amount of ingenuity among hangers caused me to want to be one of the few. Other main reasons I am leaning this way are the comfort, portability, weight, space, and really it's just so stinkin' cool. Now, I have only a few nights in a friends hammock, but I felt much more natural lying in the hammock then I ever felt on the ground.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.7
    Tarp
    JRB 11'x10
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I do a lot of hiking and camping and just got to the point where I just didn't want to sleep on the ground anymore. So I started looking at hammocks cause I didn't know much and how technical they can be. Then I came across amjustduane on YouTube. I watched all of his videos and I am a convert! Thanks Duane! Then I saw the many other videos by so many people like Shug. Then I came across hammock forums and have learned so much. Everyone here has been GREAT! I have yet to purchase anything yet but it's just a matter of time. There is so much to learn and so much to choose from in the hammock world. All I can say is that I look forward so much to getting what I need and head back out into the woods and not have to sleep on the ground!

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Hennessey Scout
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Since this winter has been so stinkin' long, I looked into winter camping. When I was watching instructional videos about cold weather camping, I stumbled upon shugemery's -40 deg. F video and the rest as they say is history. I like the idea of lightweight camping and the freedom that hammocks allow. And we've got a few trees here and there in W

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 double layer
    Tarp
    MYOG silnylon asym
    Insulation
    HG uq and EE tq
    Suspension
    Whoopies + UCRs
    What got me into hammocking?

On my first hiking trip I was sleeping on the ground inside of a tent using a 1/2" CCF pad. Not much comfort at all.

I got a HH Asym Explorer for the next trip. Comfort improved but I am not a fan of the original bottom entry. It was also IMHO heavy. Through a succesion of shelter choices I've arrived back at a DIY / MYOG gathered end double layer hammock.

Spanish Gold DIY hammock.jpg

I find the comfort laying diagonally in a hammock so much better than sleeping on the ground.

The simple answer to the question in a word, COMFORT!

I searched this forum for opinions and experiences regarding CCF and reflectix used as insulation in double layer hammocks. After reading different posts I have determined that a DIY / MYOG underquilt is next on my list of projects.

From now on if you see me sleeping on the ground it is because my suspension broke!

Newton

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    DIY HEX
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My grandfather gave me a GI jungle hammock about 20 years ago and I fell in love with the idea of a hanging tent. Although I did some backpacking with it I was quick to learn that it was a lot heavier than I wanted to carry so I started looking for lighter options. What I found was that I was better off piecing together my equipment than buying another "hanging tent".

Hammock
    Dream Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Dyneema
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    I'm not 100% which came first...but I'm sure I read some posts at http://www.backpacking.net/bbs.html that got me started researching hammocks as a sleep system. I also read an article somewhere that I'll never find again, probably in Backpacker Magazine, that talked about this older guy who had given up on enjoyment of the back country because of a back condition. Sleeping on the ground just tore him up to the point that it was no longer enjoyable. Then he tried a hammock and was able to sleep comfortably. When I found this forum and got started reading about all the different small businesses and the products they made...I was addicted immediately.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Single
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Bur40/Incu20/Phx40
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Short and to the point: The sheer comfort of it. The ground is hard and miserable.

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    It was Shug

• + New Posts
  • Page 161 of 258 FirstFirst ... 61111151159160161162163171211 ... LastLast