Page 17 of 258 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast
    surplusman
    I used an M-66 jungle hammock in the service, but forgot all about them until I began backpacking again. So I found one on line with the poncho attachment clips and toggles and it was just like old times. Only now my old bones really appreciate it. Sleeping pads and tents just don't work for me when I'm backpacking. I'll probably graduate to a HH or a Clark, but the old M-66 will do until I'm ready.

Hammock
    Haven Tent
    Tarp
    Walmart blue tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Nest
    Suspension
    DIY straps.
    Images
    In late 2006, I was watching Mel Gibson's "Apocalypto," and during the scenes in that movie that were constructed to show how idyllic the life of the little jungle tribe was before the big neighboring civilization rolled through and kidnapped the warriors for sacrifice on the altar, the hero and his family are pictured relaxing and horsing around on their hammocks. I noted how comfortable and happy they looked. My own bed had become old enough to kill my back each night, and I didn't want to face the cost of a new bed, so it kind of clicked to explore the possibility of using a hammock.

Fast forward a bit, and I had to pony up big bucks to buy a new bed anyway, because my wife does not share my hammock vision. I think I did not finesse the introduction of the hammock very well--I strung it up over our existing bed and hung there next to her. :-O The mayan-style woven hammock I had been happily sleeping in for several months is now relegated to our basement, where I eagerly go to sleep whenever the wife is out of town. Somewhere during that time, I also picked up a Hennessy Hammock slightly used on eBay, and have taken it overnight several times up in the hills near Lake Osoyoos and into the untamed wild of my backyard. My young daughters also enjoy playing in it, and one of them has requested to sleep in it once or twice, strung up in the basement or across the bunk beds. There is hope for the next generation.

I look forward to my next overnight outing in the HH next weekend. I also really enjoy reading everyone's hammock wisdom here.

Nat

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter Pro
    Tarp
    <changing>
    Insulation
    TBD
    bad back

I've been camping once in the last 20 years, because sleeping on the ground kills me.

Wanting to get back on the trail, I had to look for an alternative.

I was lookin for a lite 1-person tent and came across a hammock .. the result was like a lightnin bolt thru the old medula oblongata .. lite, quick n easy to rig, rock myself to sleep in the breeze, and it just makes more sense. Tent? What the hell's a tent?!

Hammock
    claytor jungle, warbonnet BB
    Insulation
    new river+insultex
    Great thread...had to read them all!
    I likely found HF from reading the message boards at paddling.net. All the enticing posts had me giving it a try! It is an acquired skill for me....the first night wasn't that great....but a tent will always be second choice now. Actually third choice....as the bug has bitten me and I now have TWO hammocks.....I am often the only woman on the BSA trips and really enjoy a solo shelter and time to myself after a busy day with boy energy. I was still resting comfortably one morning along Village Creek when one scout said to the other " I slept on a root ALL NIGHT" I was quietly grinning in my hammock...
    Besides comfort and NO sore pressure points in the morning.....part of the attraction beyond physical comfort is somehow psychological. Hard to find the words.....but the motion in the air, the snug but comfortable wrap that is like a womb, a fort, a cocoon, being cradled.....hard to explain but it is a mental comfort as well. Maybe someone else will artfully describe what I mean.
    Being suspended in the air is really different from the daily experience of the last 50 years and that is FUN .....for the easily entertained!
    The best sleep on a Buffalo river gravel bar!

I fish from a kayak almost every weekend. Some of the places (rivers) I fish are fairly remote so I camp. And even when I am close to a motel I still prefer to camp. The problem has been that the ground is getting hard on my old body and I have a hard time finding that flat spot to put the tent. So I started looking around for an alternate. I bought a hammock at an outdoor store with a no-see-um net and have used it (some off brand). I like the way it sleeps so I started doing some research on camping hammocks. Well last week I ordered a Clarks NA. It has not arrive yet and I am on pins and needles hoping it gets here before this weeknd. I guess I should have paid for the express shipping. I also found this wonderfully informative forum as a result of my search for a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    I am a life-long backpacker and I remember camping with two friends back in the 70's and one of them pulls a hammock out of his pack and proceeds to rig it up. I thought, "What a weird fellow." I was so single minded that I didn't even ask him if I could try it! If I had asked, that would have saved me from the next 40 years of tossing and turning at night and waking up to back pain that lasted through the first two miles of each day!

I got tired of searching for flat, rock/root free, dry site to set up my tents. I recently discovered HammockForums and quickly purchased a Warbonnet Blackbird and an OES Ultra tarp in Spinnaker!

Finally, in (almost) my old age, I've seen the light!

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Hung my two Hennessy's today. Wind with gusts to 35 made for a challenge, but once we got into hammock, it made for some gentle swaying. Two grandkids, 5 yrs and 3.5 years quickly mastered entry and exit. They are ready for more. I used Hennessy knot and Hitchcraft - much prefer the ease of Hitchcraft. Next step is overnight in backyard, then off to Scout camp.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings

What made me a Hanger? You did Mike.

As I was reading through some stuff on BPL a month or so ago I came across a question about sleeping in a hammock. several posts down Mike in Az posted some of his thoughts and info about how comfortable sleeping in a hammock was. And the big thing that sparked my interest ! side sleeping in comfort ! As a week or so went by and the tread matured with some more information my interest grew. Then mike posted the link to his Youtube video and actually seeing some of the gear in action really got me to thinking about it. Plus even though I already have two great dogs no I need a new one just so I can name him TOPO Great hiking dog name. So after doing a bit more research I found this site and the rest is history. My wife thinks I am crazy and she is a little tweaked that I am going to a hammock cause she bought me my Black Diamond LightHouse tent 3 years ago but hey a full pound out of my pack is a lot. So Thanks Mike!

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    A motorcycle camping trip, with arthritic knees, sore back, too hard military surplus self inflating mat, and too small mummy bag had me thinking there had to be a better way! After surfing the web, I found Hennessy Hammocks, and then this forum, and the rest, as they say, is history.

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 258 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast