Hammock
    HH Hyperlite Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    I'm 60 and 1.5 years from retiring, but a total novice to hiking and backcountry camping. First tried hanging during an extended bike ride, stealth camping at night after riding for 10-12 hours during the day. I was hooked right there. So much more comfortable than I ever was in a tent!

Hammock
    WBBBXLC
    Tarp
    Hilleberg 10 UL
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I first read about hanging on the internet. Of course I had tried hanging as a child, but that was in those awful hammocks with spreader bars that flipped you out every now and then, but never a good hammock in the wilds until I read posts of this Swedish guy that talked about hammocking in almost a religious manner. I decided to try it, bought my first Hennessy (Explorer zip) and from that moment on I was hooked! Now I own three hammocks in addition to my three Hilleberg tents (there are still places and times a tent will do the job better, though I try to stay away from those).

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    WBCB+2QZQ doors
    Suspension
    Straps w/D-clips
    Shoulder surgery, I camp monthly with my son and his Boy Scout troop and being on the ground was problematic. Hanging gets me the benefit of not looking for that "perfect spot" on the ground.

Hammock
    Darien Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    HH Dbl Wide Hex
    Insulation
    Inc 0, Burrow 20
    Suspension
    Tree straps, cb
    Watched sintax77 a lot and found out about hammock camping. Great to get off the ground! Still dialing in the set up for colder weather. Probably a pad and reflectix and 20degree bag. I made a poncho liner underquilt that works pretty well (a pluq). Learning a lot and hope to attend the hoosier Halloween hang on Nov. 7.

Insulation
    I like it cold..
    I'm from the UK, now living in Borneo. What I've found here applies everywhere I've traveled - that land areas "set aside for nature" are set aside because they are too steep or marshy to develop.

That invariably means hilly, which means there ARE no "flat, level ground" spots to lay a tent. You will ALWAYS be at an angle, and there's no such thing as smooth ground in the rainforest. The very idea of a tent is just silly, so I started searching for "waterproof hammocks", i.e. hammocks with roofs...

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralite
    Images
    I was looking for an ultralight tent and stumbled across hammocks as an option. I hadn't ever thought about it because my car camping hammock was an uncomfortable netted mess, so I started researching and just recently I invested in a HH Backpacker Asym Zip. I don't have many "outdoorsie" friends, so I was excited when I found these forums and had a group of more experienced people to learn from.

Hammock
    Fox Outfitters Neolite Double
    Tarp
    ENO Dry Fly
    Insulation
    JRBHSS/Winter Nest
    Suspension
    D-Buckle w/whoopie
    Images

Hanging by Suggested Purchase by Amazon

I was on Amazon purchasing bites for my camel bak since I lost mine on the way back from another trip,and Amazon suggested I might like this FoxOutfitters Neolite Hammock. It was on sale for $40.00. I read the reviews and it sounded great. Then when I clicked on it is also said most people also purchased the Atlas Slap Straps and the rain fly. When the box arrived on August 27, it took more time to open the package than hang up the hammock and I was hooked. 5 hangs later and purchasing a deluxe car window shade. I'm hanging out again. I doubt I will ever go back to my tent, and I love this forum. Thanks for being here.
    Each moment of the year has its own beauty ... a picture which was never before and shall never be seen again.
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Woodsman X/Trail Lair
    Tarp
    DD SuperLight Tarp
    Insulation
    UKHammocks UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I just can't lie on a woolen blanket under my poncho on the forest floor anymore. My body won't accept it any longer. So I though that a hammock would be a good solution :-).

Hammock
    Dutchwear Hexon 2.4
    Tarp
    KeltyNoah12
    Insulation
    HGIncub20UQ MH20TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I thought I invented it.

I was looking at replacing my nice thick camp pad, I'm a big guy and need thickness to be remotely comfortable and they are kind of pricey.

Then, I was at a friends house and his daughter was watching Gilligan's Island and I noticed Gilligan and Skipper were sleeping in a hammock and then I remembered how that was the norm on ships for ages and thought that might be a good idea for camping instead of a new pad. The only problem was bugs and rain. Then, I started thinking about how I could just hang a tarp. I gave up on that because those big blue ones you get at Home Depot were just too heavy and I had no idea where I could get the material they make tent rain flies out of.

So, one day, I decided to really look in to it and went to my locally owned outdoor outfitters with my idea. "I know this may sound weird, but I've been thinking about trying to go camping in a hammock. The only problem is bugs and staying dry. Do you know where I can get that material they make rain flies out of or any suggestions how to stay dry and bug-free?" He said "Actually, that's not very strange at all. As a matter of fact, we have a couple different kits you can buy". Then, he showed me the ENO and Hennessy stuff. he broke it all down and showed me how it works. I was blown away. I had no idea there was a whole world of hammock campers; I thought I was being original. So, I bout a noob set up and hit the woods.

Although I froze my butt off because the thought of under-protection didn't occur to me, I knew from night one I was on to something. That first night was miserable and as soon as I woke up, I left and went home. I ended up laying my tarp on the ground and folding a bunch of leaves in it and hanging it under my hammock. It wasn't perfect, but it helped enough to get some sleep. A few days later, I went back to the store and told the guy about my experience. He said he wasn't sure what to do because he only uses it in summer. I thought my hammock days were numbered because I'm not much of a summer camping guy. So, I got online to see if I could find some info; surely I wasn't the only person who wanted to sleep in a hammock during the best part of the year for camping. That's when I came across Hammock Forums and my life has never been the same.

So, in a nut-shell, I got in to it because I thought it would be cheaper than buying a new camp pad. Even though it wasn't even from day one, I thought it would be neat. I had a little extra money and so I gave it a shot. My reasons for staying with hammocks have evolved over time, but I'll never go back to the ground unless I have no choice.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 3 Season Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Been backpacking and tent camping for quite a while, almost exclusively to get away from the crowds while trout fishing. Through the course of researching various lightweight cooking methods, culminating with homemade alcohol stoves, I stumbled across Shug's YouTube video on the Fancee Feast simmer ring. I enjoyed that video so much, I watched his other vids. I figured if he's having that much fun with hammocks, I couldn't keep missing out. My wife doesn't understand at all, but she's pretty supportive anyway.
    “Arbitrary power is most easily established on the ruins of liberty abused to licentiousness.”
    ― George Washington

• + New Posts
  • Page 193 of 258 FirstFirst ... 93143183191192193194195203243 ... LastLast