Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Hobbit – one who lives in a hole in the ground. Not a very pleasant name for a hammock hanger but I acquired the trail name from my numerous journeys into the local wilds using a bivy for shelter. I still use a bivy but typically when I know I'll be in very brushy areas.

Utilizing a hammock hasn't really been a matter of comfort for me but mainly fell in love with this shelter for its ease of use no matter what the location. When backpacking, I enjoy the hike more than camping itself. I’m never on any particular time schedule and don’t want to be rushed to the next “camp site” simply because it’s the only flat place for a tent. With the hammock, look around and all you see is places to camp!

Also, as an amateur naturalist, the past few years I've been observing the movement of the local beaver population. I discovered I can be much closer to the evening building activity if I am hanging high up off the ground.

Hobbit
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    Cat Tarp Standard
    Insulation
    JRB MTW4 & MTW3
    Suspension
    ropes with huggers
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Hobbit – one who lives in a hole in the ground. Not a very pleasant name for a hammock hanger but I acquired the trail name from my numerous journeys into the local wilds using a bivy for shelter. I still use a bivy but typically when I know I'll be in very brushy areas.

Utilizing a hammock hasn't really been a matter of comfort for me but mainly fell in love with this shelter for its ease of use no matter what the location. When backpacking, I enjoy the hike more than camping itself. I’m never on any particular time schedule and don’t want to be rushed to the next “camp site” simply because it’s the only flat place for a tent. With the hammock, look around and all you see is places to camp!

Also, as an amateur naturalist, the past few years I've been observing the movement of the local beaver population. I discovered I can be much closer to the evening building activity if I am hanging high up off the ground.

Hobbit
    Honestly, I have had better luck finding spots for a bivy than for my hammock. I love my hammock though. Especially for backpacking. It's more of a pain in the neck at most car camping places though.
    Scott Macri
    www.IronFlyOptions.com

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I moved to Louisiana and found a good reason to stay off the ground.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    HH Exp Asym
    Tarp
    Ray-Way/Cuben Cat
    Insulation
    Modified Blizzard
    Suspension
    JRB Strap-TriGlide
    I read a lot of Trail Journals each year and a couple of years back "Certain" raved about being a hanger.

Since I was not satisfied with my Luxury Lite cot on all the level ground out there in the woods (slid off every night), we did some research and I picked up a Hennessy when they were running a special.
    Ended up with 2 for the price of one.

Now my wife and I both hang and you cannot convince us there is any other way to get a "perfect" nights sleep in the woods.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Really cool thread. I have grown up backpacking around NC in tents. At a 3 day music festival outside of Asheville, there was a stall set up for ENO hammocks. I thought they were so cool and had never considered the possibility of camping with a hammock. Bought a doublenest about a year later, and went backpacking with some friends with my doublenest, homemade bug net (no-see-um netting+grommets+duct tape just draped over the hammock by a ridgeline), and a huge walmart plastic tarp. Loved it, then found this site a couple weeks later. Now I'm planning an AT thru-hike with my hammock. Looking to get a MacCat tarp though

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    GT Trunk Straps

Ultralight - and a distaste for sleeping on the ground.

Actually I was airing out our tent – Kelty Trail Dome 4 - good big tent - in the back yard and I left it there, a wind storm got hold of it and it scrubbed into the fence until its demise.

So looking for a new tent – I was thinking lighter and smaller since we have come to the realization that I am carrying for 2 so my wife does not have to carry anything.

I found a travel hammock display and began my research.

Now I am a month away from my 1st scheduled hang.

Hammock
    Parrot Bay Key Largo
    Tarp
    a cheap one
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag & UQ
    Suspension
    Cords
    I can't get a good night's sleep on army cots and ground pads are absolutely out of the question. I found a Parrot Bay Key Largo Delux on Amazon today (March 8 2010) for ten dollars, so I've decided to satisfy my hammock curiosity. What (or rather who) sparked my hammock curiosity? Shug.

Hammock
    Hennessy for a season more
    Tarp
    A Future DIY

From the deep forests of Oregon

I am Fretbuzz and I love the outdoors (20 years of Land Surveying probably helped that). I loaded my first pack late in my life...1992. I had an external frame pack loaded to some astronomical proportion, making me wish I had astronomical propulsion... I think it was like 60 pounds or so. I headed out through the Mojave Desert to climb the mountains at Sawtooth, as we called it. This place was in between Barstow, CA and Big Bear, CA. Despite the weight, I was hooked on the wild freedom of bushwacking where no man has been.

Not sure how I found out about hammock camping, but I did and bought a Hennessy Backpacker Ultralight A-Sym. Not knowing what to expect, as I had never really been in a hammock, I decided to try it out while car camping with the family.

We camp a whole lot and I always wake up a million times through the night with sore shoulders. I brought the hammock on one of our trips and tried it out. I was amazed at how comfortable it was. I decided I would never sleep on the ground again.

I have used the hammock only now since 2008 and have got my son into it. I have also decided there are some things about the HH I really don't like and am gearin' up to hop into the DIY'er arena to make what I want (removable netting, simpler suspension and top entry).

I never realized there where that many hangers or the cottage industry until I found the Hammock Forums. This is one place FULL of useful info. I have also noticed, or so it appears, that the majority of people on here are east coasters... or at least THAT side of the Rockies. Is it really true?

I will be "Hanging" around this site for a long time.

I came across one of Snug's vid's during a youtube trawl which lead to his utube channel and in turn to this web site. I gave away my tent and made a hammock.

Hammock
    DIY Hammock
    Tarp
    Cuben Hexalite
    Insulation
    InsuLite Foam
    Suspension
    TreeStrap/Whoopie
    I am both a ground dweller and a "hanger" The only problem I have with hammocks is that I am a stomach sleeper so I tend to sleep pretty s****y. I mainly prefer hammock's on UL outings and comfortable backcountry naps. I just love spending time under the stars whether I am in a tree or on the ground.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 03-11-2010 at 11:27. Reason: Edited for language.

• + New Posts
  • Page 40 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast