Page 41 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom Cuben Tarp
    Insulation
    Cuben UQ/TQ

Evolution to hanging

I started backpacking again a couple of years ago. A friend told me about BackpackingLight, and I signed up there and started trimming my backpacking weight. I bought a bunch of new, lightweight stuff to see what would work for me. Then someone mentioned hammocking. It wasn't exactly UL, but on a lark I decided to go ahead and buy one to try it out (a WBBB). Wouldn't you know, I sold a bunch of that UL stuff without ever having used some of it. I still do ground backpacking, but most of my trips are with my hammock. I simply sleep much better hanging!

have not hung yet

Hi Everyone,

My name is Hoss. 1st day getting into the forum I forgot my password.
    So I hope it goes smoother from here on out.

In response to your question I am getting older and the ground is not getting softer or dryer. I have been a tarper for the last 30 years or so. My last trek on the PCT I met some hammock folks "very nice" and very informative.
    So if your viewing this forum Rock Ape. I am taking you advise and exploring the world of hammock hanging.

Cheers
    Hoss

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Quote Originally Posted by hoss View Post
    Hi Everyone,

My name is Hoss. 1st day getting into the forum I forgot my password.
    So I hope it goes smoother from here on out.

In response to your question I am getting older and the ground is not getting softer or dryer. I have been a tarper for the last 30 years or so. My last trek on the PCT I met some hammock folks "very nice" and very informative.
    So if your viewing this forum Rock Ape. I am taking you advise and exploring the world of hammock hanging.

Cheers
    Hoss
    Welcome Hoss & I know you'll never sleep better than in a hammock.
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

heard about the hennesy hammock and thought I would give it a try.
    I love wild camping and finding a good spot for a tent can be difficult. anywhere there are trees I can use my hammock no worries about rough ground and can hang on steep slopes and no squashing the plants. going to try out some modifications suggested on these forums so many great ideas. Often found hammocking a bit cold here in the UK. got a ridegrest pad now will see how that works out also ordered some dyneema and carabiners to experiment with. use a hilleburg tarp for now I like the extra space. look forward to sharing my experiences with everyone.

Replt to Hangin Burrito

Thanks HB
    I hope that truer words were never spoken. The trail does not take as much sap out of me as the night on the ground any more. However I'm not going to stop hiking, Hanging seems the next logical step.

Hope to meet you on the trail some day

Cheers
    Hoss

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    hanging is the next logical step. i simply cannot see it going anywhere better from here. my 2¢

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.0dbl
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben w/door
    Insulation
    Incubator
    Suspension
    The Force
    I decided to try it because I liked the light weight option and being able to set-up in places that are more away from the crowds.
    I found out about hammocks while researching for a thru-hike of the AT.
    Why, because I'm a side sleeper with boney hips. I have to carry to much padding to ever have a good night of sleep on the ground. The hammock is solving this problem and also cutting down on the size of my pack and the weight. Sounds like a win-win to me. This site helped me decide which hammock to go with.

bikerduo
    I received a Hammock Bliss as a gift from some of my hiking/kayaking buddies. I later bought one for my husband. I usually would just hang it up at camp to share with everyone. I often wondered what it would be like to stash the tent and sleep in the hammock. Some friends were camping near the Natchez Trace one weekend so we shoved them into the motorcycle saddle bags and set out to meet our friends. It was our first time hanging but decided it was something we wanted to continue (with insulating pads and a weather tarp next time) Good thing we had silk long johns and full fleece. We did a little research and when I saw the Vertex I just knew it was for us. We have done a few camping trips on the bike and can't wait to take it off of the ground! Our Clark Vertex double hammock is due to arrive on Thursday and I am so excited. VROOOOOOOM!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird/Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    OES 12x10
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/Lynx
    Images
    Welcome to hammock forums, biker duo! We look forward to you posting lots of pictures of your Vertex

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7d
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Ultra
    Insulation
    HG 0° UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    BB Webbing/Dutch!
    Actually, I have yet to hang for the first time (hammock and tarp ordered and on the way), but I just recently got a used Jeep--something I've wanted for a long time. Owning a Jeep gets the juices flowing for outdoor adventure, so naturally the next step was to look for the best camping gear for my Jeep. I have loved to hike and camp outdoors for years. I started looking at tents, which led me to the Jeep tent (nothing special), and then I found the roof-top tents (way too expensive). During my search I stumbled upon the Hennessy site. Suddenly it made perfect sense. Why sleep on the ground and be uncomfortable when you can get the best night's sleep in a hammock. Why lug all that heavy gear to a campsite? I started thinking minimally. The hammock is the perfect minimalist camping apparatus. Combine it with light backpacking and you've got everything you need to go out in nature and enjoy it as it was meant to be enjoyed. This is my goal. I have yet to do any serious backpacking or any hammocking, but all of the information I've found has convinced me it's the only way to go for me. The concept is just so perfect that I had no choice but to become a hanger.

• + New Posts
  • Page 41 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3139404142435191141 ... LastLast