Tarp
    9X11 DIY Syl
    Insulation
    DIY UQ + TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers

firgured I tell why...

here's the short story:

i love the outdoors and wanted to get back into camping/hiking/backpacking. Looking for a lightweight option for sleeping. And let's be honest, none of us are getting younger. While it seems hammocking is lighter, it is also more comforting, and at this point in life, comfort is more important. That's the short story.

Plus, I'm a DIYer. Grown up with it. Dad was a contractor, so no one was ever brought in the house to do anything. We always figured out how to do it. That influence never leaves you. Before a week ago, the last time I sewed anything was in grade school. Worked with tools all my life, but never a "thread injector". So why not try that tool? Been doing a week, got a hammock made, whipped, webbing done, and the whoopies should be done tonight.

Can't wait for MAHHA to learn from the veterans! I've build building stuff since I was 5 and I love learning new techniques from people who enjoy what they do. Prepare for a ton of pictures!!

Thanks to all the moderators for giving people who want to explore the place to read, write a little, and learn.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    HG4seasonCFw/doors
    Insulation
    Hammock gear UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was doing research on the PCT. ran into a few videos of hammock campers on the AT, and became intrigued. "what's this hammock camping about?" I asked myself. I've been a bivy sack camper for the past 5 or so years, and at times have difficulty with comfort issues. My arms and sometimes my shoulders fall asleep. I'm always willing to try something new. I'm about to go on a 70 mile hike on a section of the PCT, and true to my style will go hammock camping for the first time on this trip. One common theme from those who have tried hammock camping is "the best night of sleep in the woods." I told myself that this is something I must try! I found this forum and have learned that I can make this set up as light and efficient as my bivy. Thanks to all of you here for all the info and help. I feel confident that I can make this work without having a backyard trial first.
    Jose Diaz

Hammock
    DD travel hammock
    Tarp
    Chinook tarp
    Insulation
    dyi UQ
    Suspension
    nylon webbing 4now
    Watching Shug on the old yt ....had to try ...more comfy then my bed.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images

A hanger- in the making

I am an Assistant Scout Master with the Boy Scouts in Virginia. I guess it started with me checking for info an using a tarp instead of a tent. We go on several trips and I wanted to cut weight. One thing lead to another.... We were getting ready to go to the National Scout Jamboree for a week and I decided to buy a hammock. I bought an ENO single nest and the bug screen to go with it. I used a plain brown tarp (I am currently looking to make/buy a silnylon tarp to cut the weight). The boys were just amazed that this craze scout master was sleeping under a tarp! We just returned from a weekend camping at the beach and found that sand is not so soft. Now I am going to find a way to go hanging on all of our trips. No trees to hang in on the beach . I look forward to any help that anyone has to offer. I came across your site by chance, and glad I did.

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie

I have read many threads on this forum for a couple of years and a few days ago decided to register. Like others, I am an Assistant Scoutmaster in a local BSA troop (354, Sequoia Council) and love the outdoors.

My trail to this site started a few years ago when our troop was planning a sectional trek of the JMT. We broke it down into a section each year for three summers and the first year had a project to build our own lightweight gear. I did a ton of research and found enormous inspriation from Ray Jardine, Mark Jurey and others. I contacted some suppliers and some were fantastic about saving us money, with some even donating product for our project. We made several silnylon tarps and quilts inspired by Ray Jardine. Thanks to Mark Jurey, we found inspiration to make our own wood stoves and alcohol stoves which are incredible. I have used the same penny alcohol stove for 4 years now and it has out performed all others. We also found ways to dry our food instead of using the freeze dried stuff at sporting goods stores and by actually cooking the food it is fantastic. I always bring a little more than I can eat to share with others and believe me if you like meat in your dinner drying your own food will make your taste buds do a dance. We have also fashioned an oven from foil and baked birthday cakes on the trail. There is something special about baking a chocolate cake with raspberry glaze 5 days into a hike. Most of the area we hike in California requires (or at least strongly encourages) using a bear cannister, so we are blessed with an additional 2 lbs. 9 oz. of bear protection that if padded makes a decent campfire seat. Even with the bear cannister, I am able to get everything I need (less water) for a nine day trek under 27 pounds.

All the lightweight stuff in the world didn't make my back, knees or hips feel any better and there is only so much brandy I am willing to haul. Anybody who has ever got into making their own gear knows it becomes somewhat of an addiction... ok, no meetings, but an avid interest? Right after our troop had an overnighter on the USS Hornet I took a gander at hammocks. True, the ones on a WWII carrier are not going to be found in today's world, but that thought of "man, that was the best 3 hours of sleep I have had in a long time" thought kept ringing in my mind. I had a 5am watch as part of the ship's program. I sifted through many, many of the threads you folks put together and built my own hammock which was fantastic. It was navy blue 1.9 ripstop with bright yellow nylon rope as the suspension. The yellow rope was used because a) I already had a couple 50' runs of it and b) it fit into the color scheme (my son is a Sea Bee). I sewed in the side tie outs and popped the lines out a few times before using a thick rubber band to give it some stretch. I whipped the rope so that the whipping was also the suspension, all one piece. True to form the rope stretched a lot, making it real tough to set, but that aside the comfort was worth it. I have since gone to straps from a Harbor Freight ratchet system and the stretch problem vanished as did the tough to remove knots. My beloved blue & gold bit the dust after the last section of the JMT where I incorporated the ends of the hammock into my homemade pack, using them as shoulder straps. This old scouter sweats a lot and I really think the constant sweat combined with the strain contributed to it biting the dust. I found one on e-Bay for $13 (a supplier out of Hong Kong and he still has them at super low prices, shipping costs reduced for multiple purchases). I have a hard time finding the material for that price so I bought 3 of them. They hold me quite well but I am going to sew in the side tie outs to help with the lie flat thing. I am also looking at more progressive suspension systems but since there are times that I hike in areas above tree line and no large boulders to tie to I (ugh!) need to have the flexibility to go on the ground. I am fortunate not to have the massive bug situation many forum members deal with. I have yet to be in an area where the mosquito net over me head will not do.

If anybody has suggestions for a suspension system lighter than 40 grams per end I would appreciate hearing from you. I am not an extreme gram weenie, but I appreciate the merits of it to a point. Being a scouter, we are always budget aware and if it can be made at home or from another item I am all for it.

Cripes!! Did I blab like a teenage girl on a sleepover or what? Sorry to those who had to endure that.

Thanks for all the useful information and maybe someday I can pay it forward.

Mike

ps- No photos, gallery or in depth information... well, because I am just not that sharp... blessings to all

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    MMM- nice post. Would like to learn more about the alcohol stove myself. I just started reading about them the other day.

Hammock
    1.7 Dbl. WBBB Hammock
    Tarp
    DD XL Trap
    Insulation
    Merlin3 TQ/Nest UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchware
    Images

Hanger

Used a military jungle hammock while active duty. I am going back to solo flyfishing trips and needed a comfortable means of sleeping so back to the hammock after about a 25 year stent of sleeping in the dirt.

These old bones are not up for that any more.
    U.S. Army Paratrooper, Combat Engineer, DAV (Life Member), American Legion (Life Member)
    NMLRA(1 of 1000[#249] & Life Member), NRA(Life Member)
    Perry Lodge #123 F&AM(Perpetual Member), Perfect Ashlar Lodge #12 F&AM(Perpetual Member)

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Roadrunner- I recommend googling "penny alcohol stove" Mark Jurey is an engineer from Michigan and his design for an alcohol stove is incredible. I modify a small can of diced chiles as a pot stand instead of the tent stakes recommended and made a couple modifications to his wood stove design, both of which will make sense once you have reviewed his designs. I usually bring both the wood and alcohol stoves since I hike in areas that wood may be either not available or not allowed. I dry my own food and have found a huge difference in cooking the food as opposed to heating it up.

My best to you,

Mike

Hammock
    HennessyZIP/ENO
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Incubator 0
    Suspension
    WhoOpie/Straps
    Images
    I don't remember where I first saw the hammock used for backpacking but I think it was in a blog/online journal. I bought my first hammock in 2007, the Hennessy Expedition Asym, and really liked how I felt in the morning. I then bought an ENO single and double to try out because I didn't like being confined inside the Hennessy's bugnet, especially in winter temps. It was rough getting in and out. Anyway, I now use a Hennessy Asym Zip and the ENO single mostly. I recently aquired some whoopie slings and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I still go to ground but I probably spend more time in the hammock these days.
    "The map is not the territory." A. Korzybski

Hammock
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    MMM Thanks for the info.

• + New Posts