Hammock
    ENO Single
    Tarp
    Kelty Noahs 12
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag & pad
    Suspension
    Straps/Line&knots
    Tired of rocks and tree roots. Trying to find level ground. Building water barriers in case of rain. Heavy tents. Muddy ground. Lastly, sharing my space.

d

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I read a trip log that mentioned seeing someone in a Hammock got on the WWW and found a new way to camp

This forum has been a great research area and has been a great Help!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl COOL.
    This forum has been a great research area and has been a great Help, i found out that a hammock could take my weight of the floor from then on i am hooked and will never go back to the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 Dbl COOL.
    Oh and i nearly forgot to say i a also found out about the Warbonet blackbird after buying a few different uncumfortable hammocks and then finding this work of art.

Hammock
    Hennessy DJ
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    super shelter
    Suspension
    straps
    I've been hanging for about 1 year. I don't have any friends using hammocks but I'm trying to convert some. It won't be long. I remember being on a campout in Tennessee a couple of years ago on a canoe trip, seeing a couple of hammocks hanging in camp next to us. I was intrigued...especially since the ground and I were having more and more trouble getting along. I don't remember exactly...I suspect I was just cruising the net and ran across the Hennessy site. It didn't take but a few days and I'd pulled trigger. I didn't know anything about insulation systems but I did know that most of my camping was in cold weather. I had talked to an eagle scout that had tried hanging some years before and told me they were not made for cold weather. For that reason I decided on the Deep Jungle with the bubble pad. I have had several successful trips with temps just below freezing/high 20s. Bubble pad works well but you can sure tell when you shoulder is not quite on it. I have also used fleece bag liner inside as insulation and use a BA lost ranger 15* bag. I also purchased overcover that I forgot to use last weekend...not realizing it was going to be as cold as it was. It was below freezing and had a few toes get cold...not too bad though.
    Am glad I found this forum as I'm learning a lot.
    Oh yeh, this summer, I accompanied my son's scout troop to Philmont Scout Ranch...not allowed to hang anything on trees. 10 days on the trail without my hammock. We may go back in 2013. It's hard not to look forward to that...hard to look forward to 10 more days on the ground. What a dilemma!

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies

New Hanger

It kind of happened by accident for me.

Earlier this year, I was going on a canoe camping trip with my kids and a couple of friends. On the way to the Adirondacks, I stopped at Gander Mountain to get something, and noticed the Eno hammocks. I had been wanting one for years....ever since testing one out at an outdoor festival... and decided right then that there would be no better way to relax.

Well, after we set up camp, I pulled out the new hammock and straps, slapped them around a tree, and climbed in. The sun was shining, there was a gentle breeze blowing, and the waves were lapping on the shore of the island we were camped on (can you see where this is going?) and before you know it, I was asleep in that hammock. Funny thing happened... when I woke up, my back didn't hurt!

After the first night of sleeping on the ground (and waking up with a back ache!) I was seriously considering spending the night in the hammock, but I hadn't brought a tarp, so I didn't do it.

The thought of camping in a hammock kept nagging at me. But, the real turning point was after a backpacking trip that I did with my son. Two nights in the woods, and two visits to the chiropractor later, and I was on the Internet looking for tips on hammock camping.

I can't tell you guys how much I appreciate all the information you share. I've never been so excited about camping... I feel like a kid again. I can't wait to try out new gear, and I'm really looking forward to making my own gear too.

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    DIY D cut w/ doors
    Suspension
    Whoopie/strap/tgl
    Just wanted something lighter than a 6# tent. My son suggested a hammock. picked up two closeouts at Campmore and along with some tarps i had, we had a very comfortable sleep on an overnighter in the Whites this fall. Now i am thinking of the bugs come spring... time for a bug net which is why i joined this forum.

Hammock
    Dutch Argon 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 40 UQ
    Suspension
    Strap/Whoopie
    Images
    Sleeping comfort with camping & Boundary Waters trips with once too many failed air mattress nights lead back to foam (both heavy) then to the Clark Jungle Hammock and doing away with tents for single shelter and lighter load. Tyeing up big tarps lead me to Ashley's and knot interest lead me to Whoopies and the Forum. Now the ease, comfort and versatility of hammock camping makes it the preferred method for me.

Hammock
    In process of making my own
    Insulation
    Therma-rest-pad

New to the backpacking & hammock world

Need a step-by-step plan to construct my hammock....the book by ed Speer is too vague...and I am unable to internalize grizz Adams bridge hammock be cause of the dementions even though it's an ideal design for me...

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Suspension
    beener/rap rings
    I am on the scout committee chair and our scoutmaster was showing the troop his hiking pack and pulled out a HH. I was intrigued by his comments and once I found this site I purchased my HH Exped Asym and can't wait to get out there. I don't think I will use it as much as some, but I really enjoy the outdoors and with our scout troop I should be able to get out once a month.
    If you don't know where you're going... any road will get you there. (I hope hanging is better this way!)

• + New Posts
  • Page 87 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast