Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by m00ch View Post
    My camper was totaled and I thought I would save money by just having a hammock for me and my wife. I will total up my receipts and get back to you on that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

My friend and I were wanting to do a week hike back in 2015. When doing research on backpacking we started looking at tents. I went looking at bivys as well. Then it caught my eye. Grand Trunk air bivy. It was a hammock and tarp. I immediately thought hammocks are the way to camp. I then turned to YouTube to learn more about hammocks. I stumbled upon your good ole buddy Shug's video. After watching the first episode in his "Hammocks How-to-for noobs" I was sold. I dove head first into the rabbit hole of hammocks. I couldn't stop since.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Chimera
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoppies/straps
    Shug and his videos sealed the deal for me.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by daltonivy View Post
    Shug and his videos sealed the deal for me.
    If I had never dropped my butt in a hammock, I would have ran out to buy one watching Shug, that guy is great! I have learned so much from him already, and I go back to rewatch to make sure I do stuff right. He makes me want to get more and more stuff lol

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    I completely agree! I love watching him!!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    What keeps me dry
    I've been a leader with my son's Boy Scout Troop for the past 5 years or so. We camp 11 out of the 12 months of the year. After being uncomfortable on the ground, tossing and turning, on rocks, getting wet, not being able to stand up in a small tent, I looked for an alternative tent. I saw hammocks used for camping, found Jeff's site about 3 years ago and haven' been in a tent since. I even got another leader the past year getting into it. Both our sons use our xtra hammocks on campouts, you have to be with a buddy so they find 3 trees and share the middle one. I'm from CT so the only place I can camp in a hammock in CT is at a Boy Scout Camp. We do camp out of state sometimes and the State campgrounds around us don't have a problem with it. The only time I've been cold is in the summer, you don't realize how thin nylon is and how it dissipates heat.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon-AMOK Draumr
    Tarp
    Chill Gorilla/Borg
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/Fjol
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle
    Retired in July of 2016, looking for a new hobby and came across a youtube video on Hammock camping by Shugemery, one awesome dude. Being from MN to I thought I would give it a try. I just ordered a Trek-Light double and am looking forward to try it.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    Superfly20D
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 3
    Suspension
    Loops/Mule Tape
    I was skeptical of GE hammocks until my buddy let me borrow his Eno Doublenest for a day hike. I was hooked on the Shug from the beginning of my backpacking research, initially having no idea people actually backpacked with hammocks. After significant helpings of Shug, I gathered the confidence to purchase a Hennessy Hyperlite and give it all a go. Personally, I love the learning curve and customizing hammocks offer. The comfort and low weight is a plus!! Continuing to learn as I save up for more gear for my wife and winter trips. I hope to one day add a chameleon and XLC to the collection, as well as some nice sets of quilts. Happy Hanging!!

Quote Originally Posted by Capt-Pekoe View Post
    The only time I've been cold is in the summer, you don't realize how thin nylon is and how it dissipates heat.
    I'm sure that is a rude awakening for many who head out in the summer and think they don't need anything underneath them. In the summer of '15, when I spent a few months sleeping in my hammock more than in my bed, I found my Army-issued PT mat to work perfectly. Kind of a pain to keep it positioned correctly if you move around a lot when you sleep, but a small price to pay to not be chilly on a summer night.

Quote Originally Posted by te-wa View Post
    I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?
    Yeah I just saw a video on youtube and found this thing quite Interesting and that why I'm just fallen in love with this thing I'm quite new soon going for my camping journey <3

• + New Posts
  • Page 235 of 258 FirstFirst ... 135185225233234235236237245 ... LastLast