In the early 90's I was a camp counselor in Pennsylvania. My job was leading hiking and canoe trips. All the overnights were by canoe and we packed heavy: skillet and dutch oven. Generally the ground is very rocky and I picked up a little mesh hammock at the local 5 and dime and napped in it. I thought about sleeping nights in it but it wasn't comfortable enough. Another counselor was considering an AT through hike and asked me all sorts of questions about the Teva sandals I was wearing while canoeing. He was thinking of through hiking in sandals. Dunno if he ever tried it. Those ideas have been on my mind ever since but I never pursued them. I'm now in California, without a canoe, but my kids are now old enough to carry packs. My family did our first hike-in camping (1 mile over sand) two summers ago. We borrowed some equipment and I got out my old Eureka timberline from camp counseling. My pack was about 60 lbs! I vowed, never again! That got me researching 'ultralight backpacking' and that lead to 'Hammock Forums'. I like to make stuff so now I'm putting all to together 20 some years later. I've learned so much from this forum and I'm so grateful so I thought it was time to join.