Hammock
    WB BBXLC
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A couple years ago I was looking for ways to lighten my pack. I had just gotten my wife to go backpacking with me, and we wanted to go light. We had a couple mediocre trips dealing with rain and tents on slopes, rocks and roots under the tent, etc etc. I started researching how to lighten the pack but also how to sleep better and be more comfortable in the backcountry. Came across the Hennessey website, so I went right out and bought one. I have to say, I hated it. Turns out it was too small for me. But the idea of hammock camping stuck with me so I kept researching and ended up buying a Warbonnet RidgeRunner. Awesome. Now I've gone to a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC, and the wife is using the RidgeRunner. And she says for the first time ever she's been comfortable sleeping on a backpacking trip. For The Win!

Hammock
    ENO
    Tarp
    Kelty, Noah'sTarp9
    Insulation
    MerinoWool,
    Suspension
    WhoopieSlings
    I think I am way late to this party. It started simply, someone had one, wanted a rain fly. I got them that for a present. Then went to a music festival where you camp out for multiple days. Hammocks everywhere. I was having problems with a leaky air pad that I paid $70 for. It sucked. I left the festival during a morning break, went to REI and returned the air mattress and picked up a hammock after all the buzz I saw at the festival. Went back, slept that night very messed up, happy as a clam in my hammock. Hard to pee without making a mess. ;-)

Hammock
    ENO single
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix and War
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    It all started with my crazy best friend/coworker about two years ago. We were vet techs at the same clinic and she would camp for weeks at a time at a local state park with her very large family (11 siblings) but still come in to work so energetic! I went on a backpacking trip covering only about 15 miles and planned it to have a day extra to sleep before going back to work. She took one look at me and said, "oh no. This won't do. On your way home, stop by and see how I sleep" I was floored. And hooked. She uses an ENO double nest for her and a 90 lb lab. I went out, bought the same thing, and my husband and I took it for a quick over night trip on the lake. IN A THUNDERSTORM!!! And we were totally dry! And well rested! And we hiked around as if we slept in our bed! On the way home he looked at me and said, "honey, take my debit card and get another bc were not using a tent again"

We were hooked. This turned into our back deck having become a second bedroom. While only 24, he gets very sore as he works in construction, but he is able to get a good night sleep on the deck after a day on a jack hammer. Says it is better than any pain killer for his back.

I've been lurking on here for about a year but decided to be social and make an account. Always on the hunt for ways to lighten and improve my set up.

On a side note, recently made two hammock converts on a mounted backpacking trip! We explained the merits of NOT sleeping on the ground when there is a chance that the herd of horses may spook and bolt. Lol the looks on their faces like "Uh I never thought about that"

Hammock
    DIY with removable bug net
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ+UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I was recently backpacking and had the worst sleep of my life in my little 1 man tent. I started researching alternatives, and stumbled across hammocks and shug emery's YouTube channel. After looking at the cost of buying all the sruff, I decided to make my own hammock, tarp, top quilt, and underquilt.

Hammock
    ENO Double nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly XL
    Insulation
    PLUQ
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps
    I've always liked hammocks, but have only had a few of the garden/pool style of rope net with spreader bar hammocks growing up. Those hip kids at church camp all had ENOs and my curiosity was piqued. So, when heading out for my next camping trip I bought myself a hammock and accessories, with the bivy tent as a backup. I didn't need it...

Hammock
    Trek Light Double (my first)
    Tarp
    trek light
    Insulation
    modified quilt
    Suspension
    straps, whoopie
    Images
    Hello,
    I was looking into returning to backpacking after many years away from it. I was looking around for equipment on the web when I stumbled across the treklight gear webistehttp://www.treklightgear.com/. I read their arguments for and against hammock camping and started saving for my first hammock from them. I got the "happy camper" setup from them and have started honing my skills, trying things and developing a "dream sheet" of things I plan to get to improve/lighten my experience. I made an underquilt from a down quilt we had in the closet (it's mostly feathers and heavy, but works down to 45 degrees or so). After leaving them out on the trail after a day hike hang, I replaced the ropes I had as suspension with some straps I found in my garage. After discovering Shugg's highly entertaining and informative videos, I made a pair of whoopie slings from amsteel I got at the dutchwear gear people. I wasn't sure if the straps I had were nylon or not. Soon I learned about the stretching properties of nylon (waking up to find my butt nearly touching the ground). I just got a pair of kevlar straps from the dutchwear site. I'm looking forward to trying them out. I absolutely love hanging out in my hammock! There is no comparison to sleeping on the ground or even in my bed (preaching to the choir, right?).

Hammock
    Eno SN
    I started hanging at work as weird as it may sound. I use to work for a company that serviced flooded properties and every once in a while we would experience a catastrophic loss and I would work several weeks straight. In order to maximize my ability to sleep, I would hang my Eno SN from pallet racks and sleep in my hammock while everyone else slept under desks and I haven't looked back since.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    What made me a hanger?

I blame Shug.

I do a fair amount of small boating and tent camping in out of the way locations. At antique boating get togethers I usually tent camp if it's a fixed base for several days but I've recently gotten into hammock camping. It's especially nice if I can find a free launching site with bathrooms and showers. Even at 'for pay' camp sites usually I'll hang out with the group and just before dark jump in the boat and head to a steathly spot picked out earlier in good light, often several nights in the same spot. I'd love to connect with others interested is several day boating trips on remote and small waterways. I'm in the N/E GA area and often go up into TN.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VinTin View Post
    What made me a hanger?

I blame Shug.

I do a fair amount of small boating and tent camping in out of the way locations. At antique boating get togethers I usually tent camp if it's a fixed base for several days but I've recently gotten into hammock camping. It's especially nice if I can find a free launching site with bathrooms and showers. Even at 'for pay' camp sites usually I'll hang out with the group and just before dark jump in the boat and head to a steathly spot picked out earlier in good light, often several nights in the same spot. I'd love to connect with others interested is several day boating trips on remote and small waterways. I'm in the N/E GA area and often go up into TN.
    I will totally take the blame on this......Whooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I will totally take the blame on this......Whooooooo Buddy))))))
    Shug
    The Man,

The Myth,

The Legend.

Shug Emery!
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

• + New Posts
  • Page 191 of 258 FirstFirst ... 91141181189190191192193201241 ... LastLast