Page 69 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast
    I was looking to some hiking with my son he just turned 7. I was looking for backpacks and gear for him. Then I found SHUG, on YouTube he is funny and full of good information so I started to look into hanging.
    I used a 10$ net hammock a few times 20 years ago in the Army. I would cover it with a poncho and put sticks on each end for spreaders not very comfortable but very dry.
    Now looking into getting the WBBB times 2. I just ordered 2 tarps from sportsmen's guide on a tight budget.
    I would also like to say thanks to everyone here tons of information.
    Rich

Hammock
    DutchWare 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    20° Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Last summer, a friend of mine came on a scouting campout with his DIY hammock and used it for a few nights of sleeping. Until then, I had never thought about using a hammock for more than lounging around or napping in the backyard.

Nine months later, I have three hammocks; a DIY, a Grand Trunk Ultralight, and a ENO DoubleNest. I've added a Kelty Noah 12 and AHE Shangri La for tarps, and custom built myself a basic underquilt, a bugnet and some whoopie slings. My next project is DIY snakeskins.

I am now planning on being an exclusive hanger where feasible. Here in the Great Basin, there are plenty of areas that don't have trees capable of hanging from.
    I'm out... | website

Hammock
    ENO double
    Suspension
    Whoopie&TreeStraps
    Images
    Was looking for something more portable, lightweight, and comfortable than a tent.

I found ENO then I found HF. The rest is history.

Also carrying a tent around with you is just plain weird compared to hammock which just means...weird but interesting.

Hammock
    eno pro
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    well I camp alot in the bwca and have been takeing my eno with the bug net on every trip for naps,chair but after last fall in a bad storm with at least 6 inches of rain in about 15 minutes well i took a bath!!! and sence i get realy good naps while hanging it's time to make the move from part time hanger to a full time hanger.

Hammock
    WBBB DBL 1.7
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Yeti
    Suspension
    Stock Cinche
    I think my background may be kind of unique in that I never was a "ground dweller" (aka tent camper) in the first place.

I was looking into getting into backpacking and looking at the tents at my local MEC when I came across the Hennesy Hammocks on the internet. Which eventually led me to here. Glad I didn't have to go through the pain of tents before I found this information out!
    I like metric, I use metric, for those of you who don't ... you should, for those of you who won't ... here.
    0*C - 32*F, 10*C - 50*F, 20*C - 68*F, 30*C - 86*F
    100g - 3.52oz, 500g - 17.63oz, 1kg - 2.2lbs, 16oz - 1lbs
    10cm - 3.9", 1m - 3.28ft, 1km - 0.62mi

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 Dbl & BBO
    Tarp
    WB Big Mambajama
    Insulation
    Minicel pad & SBag
    Suspension
    Warbonnet stock

Talking

I'm an avid motorcycle rider and tourer. I'm also in my 60's so the idea of sleeping on the ground has lost a lot of it's charm for me over the past 30 or so years. I was on another forum where a bunch of guys started talking about hammocks and camping and the light bulb went off for me!

Low weight hammock / motorcycle / camping - well they all seem to fit together so well that I thought, why not give it a try?

After several weeks of internet research, calling friends, etc. I decided to order a Warbonnet Blackbird double 1.7 oz. hammock with webbing suspension. This model will handle my weight (275#) with no problem. Brandon says (via eMail) that the BB double 1.7 has held up to 1000# without failure, so I'm sure it will keep my fat a$$ off the ground.

Since ordering, I have registered here and have been reading all that I can in order to learn as much as possible so that when my WBBB arrives, I won't be standing and scratching my head.

As I drive around I have started to notice places that I could hang and different options that I never would have noticed before.

Can't wait to give it a try!
    Steve

You're invited to visit my Blog: www.guideforgeezers.blogspot.com

"I Never knock on Death's Door. I Just ring the bell and run. He hates that"... Methusula

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 12x12
    Insulation
    20* bag, CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Went on a car camping trip to NE Georgia to hike a few trails with some buddies of mine. Two of us stayed in a tent. The other in his WBBB and tarp. That night it rained, and rained, and rained, and rained. The next morning, me and the other guy in the tent were cold and wet, along with our gear. Not to mention being sore from sleeping on the ground. The guy in the hammock? Perfectly dry. Immediately sold me on hammocks. From that point on I began asking him questions and what not. We stopped at an REI on the way home and I learned a ton from the folks there. I was eventually directed to this site where I found info on a few starter hammocks and ended up with an ENO doublenest....Haven't looked back since!

Hammock
    Trek Light Double
    Tarp
    Tyvek HW & GG12X12
    Insulation
    WalMart blue pads
    Suspension
    1" straps & biners

Spent too many years on the ground.

I grew up camping with my family and later with boy scouts. As with most people who've spent at least 100 nights outdoors, most all nights on the ground remind you that you're 'roughing it.' Now that my kids are being exposed to camping, I want them to enjoy it for a lifetime. Last summer when I went looking for light weight and comfort and stumbled across this forum; it was a 'WELL DUH' moment for me and we were ALL in. We didn't try it, we slept in the hammocks the first night they showed up; it was absoultly the first time I went to sleep outdoors and the sun woke me up. Just to prove it wasn't a fluke, I did it again the next night and got up for just 1 potty break.

SOLD! NEVER going back to the ground. I'd find a way to hang even in a sandy desert if I had to.

Hammock
    grand trunks ultralight hammock
    Tarp
    british army basha
    Insulation
    thermarest pad
    Suspension
    webbing & paracord
    I Hate Tents

Hammock
    Moded Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images
    I got my first hammock in college. Cheap woven nylon thing I got in Mexico on a trip. I slept in it sometimes and had it around well after college. At some point I lost it. Few years ago I got a hammock stand and cotton cloth hammock. The cotton was hot and the mosquitoes were awful here. I no longer have the stand but got the Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free for Christmas this year. Started thinking about using it for camping because I hate sleeping on the ground. Even with a pad it isn't comfortable. I found this forum and one thing led to another from there. I never realized there was such a community of hangers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 69 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1959676869707179119169 ... LastLast