Page 10 of 258 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    Snugfit
    This thread is good reading. Just joined today but have been "lurking" for a while.

My Hammock evolution:

As a Pre-teen and teen in the 70's I had a surplus Army hammock and a HUGE down surplus bag. Was never cold. Camped all the time but no way could have packed it all.

Forward 30 years. Boy Scouts with my son and camping once a month. Saw Sgt. Rocks site that led me to Hennessey. Tom,s story with the surplus hammock was just like mine. Had one shortly there after. Worked great until cold weather. Got an under cover and hex tarp.

The crazy creek lex looked good and got one for my son. Our troop did not embrace hammocks. He remained in a tent. It (the crazy creek) was not for me. He uses the HH now that we are out of Boy Scouts.

So now we are rolling. Purchased a Clark. Great Hammock. IMO. Except for weight absolutely no complaints. Found this site and soon after set the Clark up with ring buckles, ridge line and 10x11 tarp. Got a no sniveler.

Wow at this point my wife is still supportive although I think she looks at me a little like I am crazy. Maybe its just my imagination. After all these hammocks and the recent mods I decided that for me KISS was the way to go. I ordered a Speer 3 and snugfit this morning. Will keep the JRB tarp and no sniv to go with it.

Well there you go. By the way thanks for all the great advice on the forum.

Hammock
    HH Exped Asym
    Tarp
    Stock HH
    Insulation
    c/c pad & bag

Why a hammock

I first started to use a hammock in 1990. At first it was a step to cut pack weight, 20 mile road marches in full gear are no joke. Fist hammock was rope type, OD green in color. Used extreme cold bag. Army sleeping pad & poncho for tarp. Along the way discovered the comfort and never looked back.

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    When I lived in Fla my step dad didnt use the AC all that much so to get outta the Hot sweaty house Id throw up a Hammock on the back deck.
    I must have spent 8 summers in that thing.
    Man was I happy when they went from Netting to Ripstop!

I don't have my first yet, but a few days ago I found Shug's Youtube page from another outdoor Youtube page, Minibulldesign, a guy that makes the greatest little pack stoves, and after a few more searches could see I was hooked. I have always been a camper, and have slept on the ground, slept on a cot, and napped in a hammock. It did not take long for me to see what I had been missing by not putting the hammock, overnight thing together. My daughter and I have slept on cots under a screened ten by ten canopy many times since she was very young, so I can see this transition to hammock under tarp going very smoothly. And now I see I need to be much more careful when surfing the net. Until a few days ago, when I saw a total stranger having a great time camping in a hammock in the snow, I didn't know I needed some new camping equipment. Clark Jungle Hammock Vertex, two Bear Mountain Bridge Hammocks, where do I start? But that's how I got here, and thanks for having me, Nick
    If you ain't sure what it is, poke it with a stick . . .

Hammock
    hammock
    Tarp
    tarp
    Insulation
    UQ
    Images
    My first introduction to hammocking was in the Boundary Waters Canoe Area. While we were planning our trip, we were discussing how we were going to arrange sleeping. One of the 4 of us said he had a 'camping hammock' that he was going to use. The rest of were pretty skeptical to say the least.

Well, once we got to our first campsite, and he was relaxing getting a meal together (his sleeping setup was up in about 2 minutes) after a hair-raising paddle across whitecaps, while we were still messing with tent poles, I started to see the benefits of using a hammock. The rest of the trip I started seeing one reason after another to switch from camping on the ground.

The next year (Last July) the same group of us went on another trip. This time, I too was in a hammock, and for the most part, the decision to ditch the ground and camp swinging proved the right decision. The one part that gave me trouble was my stupid Z-Lite Thermorest just isn't wide enough, and I did discover how cold a hammock can feel. However, it didn't change my opinion that a hammock is plain superior to ground camping in almost every way.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    [mod] Superfly
    Insulation
    Thermarest&fleece
    Images
    Well, I think most of you know that my Dad introduced me to the wonderfully convenient and oh-so-comfortable world of hanging.
    In fact, I've stolen his Claytor Jungle Hammock for myself
    Never really stood out to me that sleeping in a little piece of fabric could appeal to so many people, but when you finally get a chance to lay in one, even for a couple minutes, its like... You think 'Wow, sleeping in a comfy bed has nothing on a hammock'

No more tent camping for Pawfoot.
    ...Says Pawfoot, thats who!! [ Cuz thats how I roll ]
    and Coffins ARE used for transportation...

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawfoot View Post
    Well, I think most of you know that my Dad introduced me to the wonderfully convenient and oh-so-comfortable world of hanging.
    In fact, I've stolen his Claytor Jungle Hammock for myself
    Never really stood out to me that sleeping in a little piece of fabric could appeal to so many people, but when you finally get a chance to lay in one, even for a couple minutes, its like... You think 'Wow, sleeping in a comfy bed has nothing on a hammock'

No more tent camping for Pawfoot.
    Too Cool! Wish my daughter liked backpacking .... she does like me though ... I have the $$$$
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    2 Warbonnet BlackBird & Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SF+
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    Too Cool! Wish my daughter liked backpacking .... she does like me though ... I have the $$$$
    Ahh yes, the sound that sends chills threw a Dads wallet - Daaaaddyyyy can I have.............

depending on how long and drawn out the "Daddy" is comparable to how broke yer about to be!!

Hammock
    WBBB,traveler, hh ULBP mod2 2qzq
    Tarp
    mamba SF mccat
    Insulation
    jrb, yeti
    Suspension
    dutch clips, whoop
    Images
    Bought a REI parachute hammock and went dump camping with it. Never turned backed. Own a HH scout and Backpacker UL. JustJeff and Srg Rock sealed the deal

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Bank of Daddddddddddyyyyyyyyyyy!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts