Page 153 of 258 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast
Results 1,521 to 1,530 of 2579
    Summer of 2010 I went to a festival and saw people hanging in ENOs. That looked much more comfortable than my tent and ground pad. Once I figured out how to pitch a tarp, I never went back to the ground.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end, 11'
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Down UQ + OQ
    Suspension
    Webbing+dutch clip

Better than rent

I guess I hang because an apartment/house/condo--a "roof" generally--just seems to have a bad cost:benefit ratio for me. Living outside is so much better than living inside, so why work all those hours just to be worse off? If I can live outside for free, why am I slaving in a cubicle to pay rent? And, for me, the simplest, most comfortable way to live outside is by returning to the trees. So here I find myself, 37 years old, unemployed and loving life in a hammock in the coastal hills of Marin. Wish I'd figured this out sooner.

Don't know how many of the hammockers on this forum are "homeless" by the standard Western social definition, but I for one am (by choice) and would be interested to hear from any others with a similar bent.

Cheers,

-Vern

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Wandering Tramp View Post
    I guess I hang because an apartment/house/condo--a "roof" generally--just seems to have a bad cost:benefit ratio for me. Living outside is so much better than living inside, so why work all those hours just to be worse off? If I can live outside for free, why am I slaving in a cubicle to pay rent? And, for me, the simplest, most comfortable way to live outside is by returning to the trees. So here I find myself, 37 years old, unemployed and loving life in a hammock in the coastal hills of Marin. Wish I'd figured this out sooner.

Don't know how many of the hammockers on this forum are "homeless" by the standard Western social definition, but I for one am (by choice) and would be interested to hear from any others with a similar bent.

Cheers,

-Vern
    Hard to beat this rational - if anything happened to my dear wife (God forbid) I'd be traveling/camping the USA myself - yes, I'd try being a fellow 'Wandering Tramp' to see what was over the next hill :>)
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

sunnylife
    In 2006 I went on a rainforest expedition to South America with my college. We went on several camping trips led by indigenous guides, and hammocks were the norm. I'd been camping my entire life before that and never slept as good in a tent as I did in the rainforest hammocks. I came home a hanging convert!!

Siesta Time
    I've been hiking with a friend of mine who uses a hammock for sleeping, I always slept in a tent on a pad. I tossed and turned all night to get comfortable and he slept like a baby all night and in the morning I never really felt refreshed. He always swore by his hammock and would tell me to give it a try. Finally he lent me his spare hammock and I set it up in my back yard for a few nights and I have never slept as comfortable as I did those nights in a hammock. This past month I purchased a hammock, tarp, and an underquilt and I can't until I get them so that I can go out and set it up to test it out.

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    I've been having trouble with my neighbour's subwoofer shaking my bed all night and keeping me awake, and had a fleeting thought that a hammock would be a good idea to get me off the floor, and away from the bass; it would also be a much more compact and lighter bed to pack for when I moved (already on my mind before the new neighbour moved in).

Not long after, I stumbled across HHs on the MEC website and thought hammocks just "made sense" for camping too, and thus began my search for the perfect set-up.

I actually feel like this might be my new home.

First post on HF...

So my love affair with hammocks didn't start out having anything to do with hiking. I happened to own an ENO Doublenest for a long time that I didn't really use very much. Then when my dog passed away, I didn't have a reason to sleep in a bed anymore. In fact, it felt like my mattress was stabbing me in the kidneys every night for ages. So one night I figured I had nothing to lose by trying to spend the night sleeping in the hammock - and I had the best night's sleep since I couldn't remember. Ever since then I sleep in my ENO, camp in my Hennessy, chill on my front porch in my Mayan hammock.... and so on. My dream is to have one hammock and one bicycle for every day of the week - then I'll be the wealthiest person I know. And when I get my next dog, I'll be teaching it to sleep in the hammock with me.
    -Q

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLT
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Down quilts
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I dislike sleeping on the ground in a tent due to pads sliding around, clearing the ground to secure a good level foundation and just the comfort of it all. I was in the Army and had enough tent programs. Also, I have had two back surgeries and the hammock is super comfortable. The BB XLC with the footboy is especially what I am eager to use.

2QZQ has also made me a special Peak Storage Bag and a Ridgeline Organizer to accommodate my C-Pap machine with its AGM battery and machine itself all to me mounted along the internal ridge line. I am extremely pleased with the quality and service all three of these hammock equipment companies have provided!
    Jay Collins

Avid Kayak Fisherman and Hanger Known as Jayfish17 or Stealth17
    Redmond, WA

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    10x12 tarp
    Insulation
    Foam Pad.
    Suspension
    Nylon Straps
    50% lighter than my tent.
    50% I can't sleep on the hard ground anymore and be able to function on a hike
    I feel like one of God's chosen people, having had the opportunity to share with many fine companions these varied and lovely realms of our natural world. -Fred Bear

Hammock
    DIY DL
    Tarp
    WB SF, WB Edge
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    Straps + DutchGear
    Been tenting for over 40 years, and lately on the UL kick. When I was looking for ways to shave some ounces from my pack weight, I found myself on YouTube researching some backpacking gear. Stumbled on Tinny's MBD site, then to Shug's. After seeing a few of his videos, I bounced to HF for more info. Read copious postings and reviews, watched numerous videos, and decided to try it.
    My first purchase was the WalMart EQUIP hammock. After I got it home and opened it, I thought "I can make one of these!!" I then bought the 1.9 RipStop, ordered Amsteel for my DIY Whoopie Slings, made my hammock, bought a great used WB SF from a member here, and the rest is history.
    I also ordered 8 yards of 1.1 SilNylon, and plan to make a tarp between Christmas and New Years.

Thanks to everyone's insights and willingness to share. I'm really having fun learning how to make hammock backpacking really fun!

Now, how do I get rid of the 7 tents I have???
    I've gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, make sure I stay here.

When I see lovers' names carved into a tree, I don't think it's cute. I think it's strange how so many people take knives on a date.

Formerly known as 'Brad49426'.

• + New Posts
  • Page 153 of 258 FirstFirst ... 53103143151152153154155163203253 ... LastLast