Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I know it. I still have a new-in-box bivy tent <shakes head> not to mention a nice big Browning dome tent I used a grand total of ONCE.

Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    So? Soon you will be making your own quilts. You'll have a tent for each weight of down you want to stuff. They do have their uses. Just not for sleeping in the ground in.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Quest
    Insulation
    Warbonnet Wookie
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    For the last 10 years, I've camped about 30 nights a year, split between family camping, scout camping, and backpacking. I got really tired of sleeping on the ground and when backpacking, my pack generally weighed in around 50 lbs. My pack and tent each weighed 9 lbs. and I started looking for something lighter. For a few years, I have carried a 12 oz. Travel Hammock with me and loved to relax in it, but hated the bugs. At some point, I found Sgt. Rock's site and then this forum. I was amazed to find hammocks with bug netting. The rest is history.
    He is your friend, your companion, your defender... he is your dog. You are his life, his leader, and master. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of that devotion.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Festus Hagen View Post
    I know it. I still have a new-in-box bivy tent <shakes head> not to mention a nice big Browning dome tent I used a grand total of ONCE.
    I got my brand spankin new MSR Hubba in the mail two days (yes, 2) before I was shown the light of that which is hanging. I slept in it once, just to say I did.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    how'd you fit the MSR hubba into your Blackbird??

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis &amp; Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeinfhaz View Post
    how'd you fit the MSR hubba into your Blackbird??
    That would be cruel and unusual punishment.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    DD Traveler + GT UL
    Tarp
    DD+HH sil UL
    Insulation
    DD UQ + CCF pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I guess the bivy could be useful- I could use it to fashion a weathershield and top cover?

Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Down top &amp; bottom
    Suspension
    Strap and buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lori View Post
    I spent years not camping or backpacking, and getting back into it was a rough road.
    I've posted once already on this thread, but how could I resist this?
    I backpacked when younger but the speed-contest backpacking trip (first in 25 years) I took a couple of years ago with some 20-somethings told me that there has to be a better way.
    I'm trying to keep my road smooth, and so far hammocking is doing well by me.

Now that I sleep in a hammock I get all kinds of doubt and dubiousness from seasoned hikers who keep pointing at alpine trails in the Sierra Nevada.
    Oh, good. Something to look forward to! :P

But the fact that my gear didn't come from REI or Big Five makes them suspicious and wary, except for the very few who are surprised and delighted by the creativity of it.
    I've been working on enticing my sweetie into a hammock (he's agreed to try mine) but the non-REI nature of it has him a little spooked. Once he's seen my beautiful OES tarp then I think he'll change his tune a little
    -Liz -

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down &amp; IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Hanging is a new experience for me too. So far because I'm into scouting & I teach the backpacking merit badge, I was geared only toward tents. First I had to overcome my troops limitations on backpacking, they only did "car camping" (w/the trailer and cast iron pots ect....) This spring, while at the scout show camping event, I saw over in another campsite, an adult stringing up a hammock and just had to make an effort to go talk with him. He had a clark that he'd bought off another scouter (that scouter had just gotten a larger clark). Soooo, this guy invited me to try out his clark... and that's all it took. I flat out just could not believe how comfortable I was laying in it. He even shut the weathershield on me so I could see if I was gonna have any issues. Nope, just about fell asleep before he opened it back up!! Went back to my camp site and told my husband that I'd been in another guys bed and that I wanted a hammock for my birthday!!
    Finally ordered me a clark jungle with the weathershield and went on my first trip w/my troop. Temps dropped below freezing, I'm the only one hanging and I'm just about the only one warm the next morning. I'd read some here and knew to pack an insulated pad to keep my backside warm. (exped 9).
    Next trip it rained the first night and I slept through it all. Next night was forcasted for tornados and I decided to pack up and not try that out!!!
    Just returned from a backpacking trip to Croatan nat forest. WET!!! Scouts had a very hard time finding spots to set up their tents that didn't either slope, were wet, had tree knobs sticking up, or very uneven ground w/briars. I didn't have any issues. I've also lightened my backpack to 26 pounds w/water!!! And I'm still carrying an exped short 7 for my backside!!!
    Can't wait for the next trip.... Getting better stringing up the clark too!! The first few times, it was a little saggy. Learning about having the foot end higher.
    Had a few of my scouts try my hammock too..... some are starting to want their own!!!
    TinaLouise

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Nice report. I know my clients I take on canoe trips are really intrigued. Now repeat customers are requesting hammocks. Particularly those with back problems. Seems it does not take a whole lot of convincing. Not much time and people realize the advantage.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    i agree that train of thought that people are hesitant to try something they are not flat out "told" to do. I always say that if REI etc.. had hammocks on the showroom floor, the army of hangers would be many more happy people. But, since tents and pads is all people see in catalogues, in stores, and on TV or whatever It seems people (that I know personally) have very strange and mixed reactions to hammocks. Its different, foreign, they dont understand it and may even fear it! People around me many times make excuses as to why they cant use a hammock, and they have never even tried one!
    so to all the hangers, innovators, cottage gear makers and the curious, tired and experimental, hopeful and rational, cheers to YOU!
    I am grateful to be a part of such a wonderful, cutting edge group of individuals. Mike

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 258 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast