Page 154 of 258 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,540 of 2579
    Surfing winter camping on YouTube and hammocks just make more sense than a tent. I ended up buying a Clark. So far the coldest I've camped is in the upper 20's in late Oct (WI) and I had no issues. Now I'm preparing for single digits. I haven't found a con with using a hammock.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk nano w/ whoopies!
    Tarp
    11'x14' silnylon
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    3/4"wbbng tggl whp
    My buddy suggested I try it a few years ago, which sparked an investment in my own hanging gear. It made sleeping less of an obstacle when enjoying the outdoors.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL
    Tarp
    KNT12x12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Zero
    Hello. What made me a "hanger"? A co-worker, who is a "minimalist" let me borrow his hammock for a couple nights, this past late spring. I hung on my deck. Got cold the first night, placed a pad under my back the next night and slept exceptionally well! I bought a Grand Trunk, then the ENO bug net, and a Chinook 12x11 tarp (to be used in various modes). I am quite impressed with the quality of sleep I get in this hammock, not to mention, being more "in tune" with nature, out in the backwoods.
    I am always into "trial and error" meaning I read up on the methods of other folks, but must find out for myself if another way works. I tried a backwoods weekender down at Shawnee State Forest in southern Ohio, later that spring, and awoke to a very cold back. Not having the proper thermal insulation due to thinking it was not to be that cold, I hiked out at 2:30 AM (I know what it is like to suffer hypothermia! and didn't wish to experience it alone) to my car, slept it out, and went down to pick up a rectangular 20 degree bag, that I "cacooned" in the next night in Lake Vesuvius Park.... from that, I slept awesomely!
    I have taken the hammock system on my motorcycle trip to Maine/Baxter State Park, and return, via Acadia and Mt Washington. I LOVE hanging! Though I had my "coffin tent" just in case, to ween myself into hammocking.
    Just a few nights ago, I christened my 58th year with a sleep out in my back yard in 18 degrees. Making it an all-nighter in comfort. I jury rigged an old 20 degree mummy bag as my underquilt and bought a Trekker Zero degree mummy bag. I had fleece clothes, wool socks, balaclava, gloves, and a closed cell pad under my back, of which I extracted both gloves and closed cell pad about 2:30AM due to overkill on warmth!
    I feel confident that if I were to take my traditional backpacking trip somewhere in Ohio, this winter, I will succeed for two nights, knowing I will be hanging in total warmth. Hopefully combining it with crosscountry ski backpacking.
    I am looking to fine tune, and maybe design my own underquilt with the help of my wife who knows the sewing.

Hammock
    Eno single/ HH
    Tarp
    Speer winter
    Insulation
    JRB TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    From trees
    Loved camping Hated sleeping in the ground. First run with a so called camping hammock was the ol Rothko fish net hammock. Never quite got the hang of it (pun intended). Pretty much gave up on camping do to things going on. Started researching hamock camping again earlier in 2013. Found some great sites and foun this circus performer who has a noob set of videos for hammock campers. Those videos brought me back to the woods. Thanks shug!

Now can't believe I haven't tried it earlier.

Hammock
    WBBB & FreeBird
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    Incubator & FJ
    My first run-in with a hammock was when I was stationed in Okinawa years ago. I picked up a cheap "string-type" hammock. I figured if I was able to hang off of the ground I would be able to eliminate half of the bugs getting to me, especially during the rainy season.

I gave that hammock away when I left there because of how uncomfortable it was. I did not think about getting another one until last year when I wanted to get back into backpacking and needed a new tent. After searching for lightweight tents I came across hammocks during my searches and decided to try one out. I purchased a WBBB and my back has been much happier ever since.

setexfisher
    First, i am too old to lay on the ground any more. I have been to brazil several time and everyone there uses a hammock. Then i found the Hennessey web site. Who knew you could lay flat in a hammock? This is just the begining for me

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly Digi
    Insulation
    HG top/btm 20.
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Watched a bunch of youtube videos of a guy named etherbud I believe who thru-hiked the AT in a HH not sure which variant which I plan to do when I retire from the AF in 8 years. I have never slept well on the ground doesn't matter if it's foam mat or high dollar inflating pad always had a rough night and not a fan of waking up with the floor wet either. This prompted me to bite the bullet and go with a HH expedition ASYM Zip with the hex fly. Now some time later I am making an effort to reduce pack weight. I am looking at either a HH Hyperlite or WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl. I finally hit the buy button on a WB Superfly in digital camo. it's bigger than the HH Hex and has doors for slightly less weight I am looking forward to it. Will be my first experience w/silnylon so looking forward to that as well. Anyway back on topic the short of it is I fall right asleep in a hammock something I have never done in about 23 years of backpacking and more importantly I wake up without a sore back.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hyperlite Zip
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    20 HG Set + 50 TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I enjoy hiking, eventually want to thru hike the AT, and therefore need a low base weight in my pack. A hammock seemed to be the best way to accomplish that.

Hammock
    ENO Reactor Hammock
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    USMC MSS&BugNet
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    So I became a hammock camper about 6 months ago. I am a old Marine Veteran and sleeping on the ground really takes a toll out of my back. I did a weekend hike and tried out my friends spare hammock. I was amazed how comfortable they are and how well I slept. I am totally hooked. I am planning on placing a hammock in my spare bedroom / office. I will post photos as soon as I do. I also plan on building a winter tarp based on DIY instructions.

Hammock
    Hammaka Parachute
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    I first got into hammock camping because I had taken an interest in ultralight backpacking strategies. I'm usually a car camper, but from time to time I like to go where cars can't go, and I didn't want to have to haul a tent for small overnight trips where the less packed in the better. Also, I have back issues, so when I read that a lot of hammock campers report happier outcomes with a hammock versus some sort of ground setup, I had to try it out. Needless to say, I'm not going back to ground camping.

• + New Posts
  • Page 154 of 258 FirstFirst ... 54104144152153154155156164204254 ... LastLast