Ripstop DIY
    Tarp
    Camo
    Insulation
    Poncho liner
    Suspension
    1" heavy webbing
    Images
    One day I was talking to the security guard at the shop, telling him I was going to set up my tent in the living room of the house to start getting my son used to camping, he said don't forget to throw some rocks and sticks under his sleeping bag too, which got me to thinking... Which led me to...
    Quote Originally Posted by trurichez View Post
    Shug, Shug, Shuggity, Shug! Need I say more?
    What he said.
    Thanks Sean Emery for the enlightenment, entertainment and changing the way I enjoy the outdoors!

Hammock
    DH Freebird, WBBB 1.1
    Tarp
    Tadpole, HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ Tewa Antifreeze
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Images
    I went on a week long section hike on the AT last summer. Rained 95* EVERY day and rained EVERY night into mornings. I got tired of packing up in the mud. Getting too old for the ground anyway. Now I actually enjoy hanging in the rain.

White Blaze and 400 miles on the Appalachian Trail

I noticed some references on White Blaze while I was getting ready for my trip. After I was on the Trail I saw the benefits of hammocking and that indeed others were doing it. They seemed more chipper in the morning than I was!

I will be hitting the trail again this year to see how adaptable this is outside my back yard. A good nights sleep and more set up choices already makes this so much more appealing!

Joe Garchar

Got tired after last log

Hi - Started the winter camping couple years back (thought you guys were lunitics).

Winter in KY not too bad ... worst has been in the teens. But I am a big baby when it comes to cold. I have restless leg syndrome hahaha I move around quite a bit ...have to sleep on back ..move ..sleep on side ...move... sleep on stomach ...move ...get the drift ... anyway I can probably say I have never had a good night sleep in the Gorge but the other aspects outweighted the lack of sleep.

The last time did it - when I woke up with a 6 inch diameter log under me and my son-in-law letting his buddy try his Grand Trunk Dbl and the ranting and raving that followed ....well here I am now.

I'm pretty sure the only thing I can even consider is the Jacks R Better BMBH.

So I find this site but not sure where/how to start and the acronyms and terminology is killing me.

Is there a dictionary thread?

I'll def have to go with JRB but not sure about what UQ (for 20's) and the tarp I can make do for now.

Thanks, Sorry if I typed too much and broke any rules not familiar with yet,
    Joe

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Suspension
    Webbing+Rings
    First time out camping about 10 years ago with a new friend who soon became a best friend and camping buddy, we drive into the bush and out onto a beautiful beach to setup for Labour day weekend. By the time we got out there, we ended up setting up in the dark and my friend pulls out this jungle hammock contraption and hangs it just inside the treeline and he's done. Meanwhile I setup my trusty Khyam quick erect on the beach only to find I'd almost put my tent down on a big pile of bear poop!

Anywho, second night we get hammered by a storm so bad I ended up getting out of the tent in the middle of the night to move my truck so it would block the wind off the lake and stop my tent from collapsing in gusts of wind and smacking me in the head. Not a great sleep, and my friend's comment about getting gently rocked to sleep by the wind had me sold on the hammocking idea.

That was the last I slept on the ground on backcountry trips. Got myself a Hennessey which I used for a few years before moving on to a Clark North American which I've been quite happy with. Last year, after a couple of camping trips where I was forced to go to ground when camping with my son, I got our wee lad (4 years old at the time) up between the trees in his very own Hennessey Scout, with both of us under a nice new JRB 11x10 tarp, loving the setup and he sleeps better in the hammock than he does at home!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Asym Zip
    Tarp
    Hennessy Asym Tarp
    Insulation
    Double-Bubble Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps

Wink From nature to suburbia and (finally) back with a hammock

Well, my outdoor-story as a whole begins with a Gimmick I found in a comic magazine as a child, I want to share with you so you get the idea - here's the cover of that magazine called YPS: http://www.ypsfanpage.de/hefte/gross/yps0455.jpg - - The Gimmick was a "UltraLight Tent" from a "Survival Series" - in reality, it was kind of a garbage bag made from plastic without a bottom - but I loved it and was often in the "woods" with that tent in my area. - Mind blowing exprience as a child plus loads of good memories and "adventures".

Growin' up and making a living I didn't find much time to go out and enjoy nature and it got out of focus.

Now, with 35 years of age, I am startin' all over again. When searching the web for "ultralite hiking equipment" I discovered "Hennessy Hammocks" - and immediately fell in love again. -

I now do own a HH Explorer Ultralite Asym Zip model with Hennessy's Double-Bubble radiant pad 3-season-insulation and a "MusucBag Lite" and am currently planning my first longer hang in the river valley of the german "Rhine" river - the trail is called "RheinBurgenWeg" and it has many castles and ruins of churches and abbeys from medieval times to discover. - http://www.rheinburgenweg.com/portrait/

Here's a little plan of the trail with all the cities - check it out on Google Earth - http://www.rheinburgenweg.com/etappentourenplaner/

I am really looking forward to finally "go back into nature" and enjoy it!

Thanx for the opportunity to tell my little story here! - - Hope you enjoyed it as much as I did writing it! - Thank you!
    Last edited by Rene; 03-27-2013 at 21:56.
    Cheers from Germany!
    Hang on! -

www.RenePatrique.com

Hammock
    DB72, DIY tablecloth, Kammok
    Tarp
    HG 4S Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies + Dutch
    I had always thought hammocks were neat when I was a kid, but I only ever had the chance to lay in a (very uncomfortable) spreader bar rope hammock, which luckily wasn't enough to put me off hammocks forever.

Fast forward several years, and I found out about Kammock on Kickstarter. I decided it was time to try a "real" hammock. Shortly after getting my hammock, I learned about HF through random internet searching, and I haven't looked back. Thanks to this site, I am now also fulfilling another childhood desire (backpacking + camping), made possible by the cottage vendors and their great gear.

Thank you to everyone on this forum for all the helpful advice and amusing yet civil discourse.

Hammock
    TX250, NX200, WBBB
    Tarp
    WBSF, Edge, Vertex
    Insulation
    Incu-Burrow!
    Suspension
    Camo w/Dutch Bling
    Images
    About 5 years ago, I bought a hammock on clearance at Walmart. About 3.5 years ago I found this unopened hammock in my closet and was about to give it to Goodwill. But then I opened it and thought it looked cool. I didn't understand the ropes so I went online to find out how to use it. I found the Hennessey site and was intrigued by the integrated mosquito netting and the tarp. I had to have one. So, I bought one. When I did, I asked them in the email how you get into a sleeping bag with that bottom entry. What a noob. I froze my backside off that first winter hang, but I was hooked.

Shortly after that, I discovered Shug's videos and this site and have been active ever since.

Oh, I'm doing a gear test in my backyard tonight before heading out tomorrow for a solo hang.
    Last edited by Dudorino; 03-27-2013 at 22:31. Reason: forgot something
    My YouTube channel: Tool Dude Tony
    "No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Bonzai

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Zeppelin/Pinnacle
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    I was watching videos of some 2012 AT thru hikes on Youtube and after watching all of Loner's I decided I had to try a hammock before starting my 2013 attempt. Now I'm leaving the tent behind and using my WBBB when I start end of next month.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest/ DIY Neon Orange
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12x12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 40
    Suspension
    Woopie Slings
    I got an ENO double nest for my birthday a few years ago. I love going backpacking, but haven't gone without my Dad and more importantly his stuff before. So now that i'm in college and going by myself i started looking at alternatives and hammocks looked more comfortable than tent camping and it is

• + New Posts
  • Page 133 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3383123131132133134135143183233 ... LastLast