Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images

Why I hang

Kids bought a cheapo Beyer hammock for a recent backpacking trip. Layed out in it one afternoon at home only to pass out for an hour... (I never nap!) After listening to my good friend snore all night, and waking up stiff, despite a new thermarest, I decided to spend the next night in the hammock.

Hung my tyvek tarp diagonally, and crashed. I rolled over constantly due to the dreaded CBS (despite the 50-degree weather, and my 20 degree bag), yet slept better than the night before... warm me up and I am sold...

Being a closet DIY Gearhead, I've learned how to sew... (just not well).. I now have a DIY speer hammock (no bugnet, yet), a walmart Sil-tarp, and am working on a light sleeping bag to underquilt conversion... I plan on using my 20-degree mummy as an overquilt once I remove the zipper and drawstrings... (I find mummy bags too confining...)

Now I just need to find a friend willing to hit the trail with me for an overnight or two to work on my skills..

Many thanks to Jeff, Risk, Ed Speer, and this forum...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    JRB 11' x 10' Cat
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 UQ / SS TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Thinking...

While many factors lead me to trying a hammock, I would have to say watching Shug’s videos on YouTube are the main reason that I gave it a go. In Shug's videos, setup looked easy and the hammock so comfortable that I just had to try it. So I went to EMS and bought an ENO SingleNest and straps.

Here is a picture of my first hang posted in the gallery:

I know there is a lot of opportunity for improvement and I am reading as fast as I can. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated with thanks in advance. I would also like to thank everyone for making this such a great place to read and learn.

Finally, a big Thank-You to Shug for his videos! For without him, I would still be on the ground.

David

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 41vi4 View Post
    Thinking...

While many factors lead me to trying a hammock, I would have to say watching Shug’s videos on YouTube are the main reason that I gave it a go. In Shug's videos, setup looked easy and the hammock so comfortable that I just had to try it. So I went to EMS and bought an ENO SingleNest and straps.

Here is a picture of my first hang posted in the gallery:

I know there is a lot of opportunity for improvement and I am reading as fast as I can. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated with thanks in advance. I would also like to thank everyone for making this such a great place to read and learn.

Finally, a big Thank-You to Shug for his videos! For without him, I would still be on the ground.

David
    I am touched!!!!! It makes it too cool when folks like you give this good ol' hammock thing a go due to my goofy videos. Gives it some value other than just entertainment .... for me and others. I have a blast making them and am honored that you watched and got inspired.
    I salute you .... and have a great time on your hammock quest.
    Your picture looks terrific.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    The big thing that made me a hanger was finding Srg. Rocks page
    he got me hooked and 3 years later i'm still hooked

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Suspension
    Rings & Webbing
    the following was a 2 or 3 year transformation, since my snoring bothered my kids and tent mates, started carrying my own tent, kept getting thicker and thicker inflatable mats and still didn't sleep comforable, went to a bivy bag to save weight because the pads (ended up with a 4 incher) kept getting heavier, decided I was going to use my daughters nylon hammock with my bivy bag on an short overnighter, slept better than at home, tore the cheapo nylon hammock, researching a replacement I stumbled on this forum and now sleep in a home made hammock from a mix of y'all's instructions, can't thank y'all enough for all the great info

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    GUIDE GEAR 12X12
    Insulation
    CCF PAD, DIY UQ
    Suspension
    RING BUCKLES
    Sounds like alot of us started for the same reasons.
    About 6-8 months ago I started looking for lightweight tents and pads. This led me to one website after another and eventually found all these crazy people hanging in hammocks.
    I was always uncomfortable on the ground so I thought about making one mainly because I loved the idea that I could possibly make all the things necessary and not have to pay the high cost of most of the gear. Fast forward to today and now I'm addicted to it all. Love Shugs videos as well as all the posts here. Now the hardest part is finding time to do it all and getting the family involved.
    By the way, thanks to everyone that has posted DIY instructions.

Hammock
    No-See-Um No More Hammock Bliss
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Insulation
    $5 blue ccf pad
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    A friend and I were discussing how we loved to camp and hike, but hated carrying all of the tents and other things that would basically keep us tied to one spot. Then I came across a "camping hammock" on a website oneday and knew I had found our answer. They're lightweight and fit in a backpack. I bought my first hammock that week. Best idea we have ever had. I found this website shortly after and knew I had to become a member.

It was geographical region for me. Lots of rocks and really rough terrain made tent set up difficult. By hanging we can camp anywhere and be comfortable too!

Hammock
    blackbird
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear
    Insulation
    yeti
    Suspension
    web/cinchbuckle/DC
    Images
    Following Certain on the AT through Trail Journals. Her journal entries led me to this site, and a new addiction. Add that I have never slept well on the ground, and, viola, an ewok I became! Also, special thanks to everyone at the Hot Springs Hang earlier this year. They let me try out their hammocks, patiently answered all my questions and were great. AT here I come in comfort.

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images

ah discovery

i had been camping almost every weekend may thru oct.into my 2nd yr of this i never really got any good solid nights of sleep.i was allways waken up with a sore back that would make it hard to get up,and would stay with me half the morning.one weekend i stayed at my sisters cabin,i was in the screen porch lying on her regular hamock,when i thought outloud,do they make a hammok that is also a tent?my sister overhearing me,said you should look online.i did and came across the clark.i ordered immediatly and have been sleeping soundly 3 summers now.no morning backaches!!this thing has really expanded my camping,i love it.i must have slept in this thing 60 nights at least.

• + New Posts
  • Page 28 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878128 ... LastLast