Hammock
    Who can choose?
    Tarp
    DW Bonded P2F
    Insulation
    Unicorn Fur
    Suspension
    Beckett hitch
    Went on a campout with my Scouts, and one of the adults had this funny looking thing (Hennessy Hammock, natch) he rigged up between the trees. A couple of the other adults were laughing at him. I said "Hey, what's Bob doing?" and was told "Oh, that's Bob's hammock - he's tried it a couple times but always gets too cold in it and winds up getting back into the tent in the middle of the night."

Well, I was intrigued. I talked with Bob for a while about it and he explained how the thing worked, how comfortable it was, and the problems he had with CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome). Sure enough, about halfway through the 30 degree night (we were camping in North Georgia in November ) I hear the rip of Velcro and a ton of rustling as Bob deserted the hammock for the tent. However, I was already thinking of ways to overcome the problem. Bob offered the use of the hammock that afternoon so I could see how it worked - two hours later he was shaking the hammock waking me up from my nap!

I researched, found Sgt. Rock's site, from there found and read JustJeff's site like Holy Writ, bought my rig and signed up here.

More stuff to buy and/or make - oh yes. But I'm not sleeping on the ground again if I can help it!
    Medical professional, semi-professional Scouter, aspiring layabout.
    "If it's stupid, and it works - it's not stupid."

S487-132

Hammock
    homemade pertex with cuben fiber
    Tarp
    custom silnylon
    Insulation
    homemade 800 down
    Suspension
    dyneema 4mm rope
    Images
    Went on a camping trip with my dad and nigelp hooked ever since.
    Started with a party hammock then after a night of falling on the ground I decided to design and make a camping hammock out of pertex after that I've enjoyed messing about with different designs and making the lightest hammock possible :-)
    In an hour of darkness a blind man is the best guide. In an age of insanity look to the madman to show the way, so follow me

Hammock
    Hennessy Exp ASym
    Tarp
    Stock Hennessy
    Insulation
    Hennessy UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Fig 9s
    Images

Smile Getting ready...

I was getting ready for a three-week vacation in Montana, including several days backpacking in The Bob. My Son-in-Law suggested I read Ray Jardine's stuff. I did some searching for "ultra-light" and HammockForums turned up as one of the hits. I started reading some of the posts and decided to give it a try. Getting off the ground sounded like a Great Idea. (My bones are 59 years old.) I snagged a Hennessy Exped Asym plus a Hennessy UQ on sale, slightly used, ultra cheap. Hung out at home on the front porch.
    Loved it, slept warm and dry, all the way down to 11* F..
    Slept warm and dry in rain and wind at 15 to 35 MPH, temp about 35* to 40* F..
    Took it to Montana, hung in several locations for most of three weeks, including several days in The Bob. Loved it.

Hammocks? Best camping ever. Best sleep of any kind, in any place, ever.

Hammock
    HH Explorer A-Sym
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    Stock+descender
    Pretty much had given up on tent camping because of a bad bicycle accident that really trashed mt spine, neck and shoulder. My wife and I bought a little guy tear drop that I enjoy but you can't get out in the wild with it. Then one evening I fell asleep in my hammock in the back yard, slept for hours, woke up feeling great and thought "I wonder if I could camp in one of these" seems like it wasn't an original idea at all!

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hexagonal
    Insulation
    working on that
    Suspension
    Hennessy lash
    Images
    My family had a fishing and crabbing camp on a bayou with a huge old oak tree. We put up an old canvas hammock and this was a lot of fun for everyone. Many years later, I was passing through various Central American countries and saw a cheap hammock in Guatemala which I bought.
    I moved and became a Revolutionary War Re-enactor and did a lot of period correct ground camping with canvas and wool equipment.
    I moved to Guam and there was little potential for such camping, so I brought out the old Guatemalan hammock. I used it for resting after diving and also spent a couple of nights in it while slung between coconut trees. I used a heavy tarp over it - not so much for the rain, but to avoid being seriously harmed by falling coconuts!
    When I got back to the mainland, I looked for something to take along for motorcycle travels and also for hunting. Not wanting to go back to the hard ground again, I looked for something which would be warmer and also provide some protection from bugs. A web search brought me here where I picked out a hammock and began using it.
    Last edited by RabbyTat; 10-17-2011 at 22:43. Reason: Typos

I've been camping for almost sixty years on my own, tents and a lot of biv sacks, we practiced leave no trace, before I knew it had a name, in my navy days our teams left no trace for reasons of security and to stay unknown, Its odd that for years I've been blessed to go all over for weeks at a time trekking and camping, without seeing hammocks in the back country or campgrounds, mostly out west and northwest every state. Then about four five years while @ north rim Grand Canyon, which from santa fe is my jumping off place, I suddenly realized, that ****, there had to be a better way than tent or biv. Saw a ENO ad then as with a lot of folks found this great site, not only good people sharing but marvelous new ways of spending money, in fact I wonder how many of us have bought more equipment than we could ever use, each time saying OK, that is all I'll ever need, then someone like Dutch comes along with a gotta have, Anyway, started I think four years ago and haven't gone to ground again, just got back from a two week sojourn with two nights hanging with old gringo up on his very special land, a place where theres got to be a hang sometime for more people to see. He laughs because now i have many hammocks and to much back up , but use the wbbb a lot. I've gotten many rangers and rangeretts to move to hammocks as they've tried one of mine and they have to go out in field during month and hate ground as many do. with me it just gets better, biggest problem, you need more equipment, one thing can be said this evolution of the hammock just keeps evolving and costing, just wish there were more nights, oh and yes old gringo snores along with other sounds, no animals came around. only regret, didn't have them years ago.

Mitchell
    After watching Shug's Hammock How-To Videos ..... Essentials For Noobs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0
    i went to the local outdoors store and bought an ENO hammock..

I am new at this so any advice is welcome
    I am a hanger from now on

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Arrowhead Toxaway
    Insulation
    Wilderness Logics
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    What made me a hanger?

Rocks, sloping ground, mud, running water, bugs, and getting a lousy night's sleep. I love camping, but toss and turn and generally don't sleep well on the ground. I'm an ultralight backpacker, so I don't take the extra load of hammocks lightly (pun intended), but they are SO much more comfortable that I think they are worth it.

Hammock
    HH Expedition Asym
    Tarp
    HH
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hey Te-Wa. I becam a hanger when I bought a Byers of maine ultrlite hammock just to hang out at the campsite. That same camping trip, I saw a Hennessey and decided that it was for me. I had a bad night of sleep that night because it rained and my tent leaked and I knew that if I got off the ground, I would never have to worry about that again and the rest is history. I still have my byers of Maine ultra light but I camp in my hennessey. Now I also have a DIY hammock and am working on a hammock chair as well. I use my Byers of Maine as an insulator with a sleeping bag under my Hennessey and it works like a charm. I also bought some of that insulation that looks like bubble wrap with metalic on both sides and use that sometimes when weather is really cold.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Double , Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    WB/Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY IX Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slings
    Images
    Heard a friend at work say. He was sleeping in a hammock started to check around. So I bought a hennesy .love it also have a Eno double.I live in Mi. So far have hung in Ga. Ca. And Mi.

• + New Posts
  • Page 85 of 258 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795135185 ... LastLast