Hammock
    Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    noah16/HH hex
    Insulation
    0 incubator/costco
    Suspension
    whoopies n straps
    I always thought it would be fun to try to sleep out in a hammock in the back country. I looked up a few you tube videos on hammock camping and you know who I found! "Whoooo Buddy." Thanks for all the great info Shug.
    Since then, I picked up a few of the Yukon hammocks on Woot for $20, made some DIY bugnets (Thanks Fronkey!), made some DIY whoopies (amsteel and toggles from simply light), and got an Eno Profly new from an REI garage sale for $20 bucks.
    Now I am looking into making or getting a better tarp bc the profly seems small for one, and I think it might be nice to have door options for the colder season coming up. My big concern at the moment is making or getting an inexpensive underquilt. I am currently using a pad, but I would love to have the coziness of an underquilt without the squirmy nightmare of the pad.

compostbrain
    i like sleeping in the hammock in the summer but i like the ground better when the temps drop. I've tried a cocoon but wasn't too impressed.

Hammock
    Eno DoubleNest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    Body fat
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I decided to become a hanger after transferring to Appalachian State University last fall. A friend of mine suggested I purchase an Eno hammock (all the cool kids are doing it). I decided to pick one up and went hammocking for the first time out on campus. I have used my grandparent's Pawley's Island hammock before, but never one like this Eno.

From there I got into hammock camping with my good friend Daniel (hotrod1016 here on the forums). We go overnight hammock camping a few times a month.

I love camping, and I love hammocking. Now I have them both. I've been happy ever since.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC & DH TBird - Toss up!
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    hammockgear.com
    Suspension
    All things Dutch
    tired of slogging it out in bad weather and not sleeping well on the ground + i'm getting old

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear/KAQ
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch bug

Too many trees in the UP!

After countless trips to upper peninsula Michigan, all turning out pretty good for tenting, me and some friends spent hours looking for a spot that wasn't covered in rocks or trees on our last trip! A few days earlier in the trip we saw a few guys hanging one morning and laughed at how funny it seemed. After the "no spot for a tent" incident I came home and immediately started searching camping hammocks! Stumbled on DD hammocks page and liked what I saw!!! My wife and I have already taken 3 trips to Wisconsin with them and the rest is future history :-)

Hammock
    Hennessy (with a few mods)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajam'
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks FL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    After being a committed bivier for years I was completely unconvinced about the merit of hammocking despite a mate of mine trying to persuade me for years. After losing my love with lying on the floor in a body bag in the worst weathers, I eventually jumped in and gave it a go. I bought myself a DD, then switched it for a Hennessy and after changing everything that bugged me about it, now love it to bits!
    I'm currently in the process of selling all my ground sleeping gear as I can't face going back to grovelling about in the mud! Looking forward to testing my hammock rig in some rough winters. My love for camping has been well and truly rekindled

Hammock
    Hammaka
    Tarp
    Cheap
    Insulation
    clothes/laundry
    Suspension
    18' cargo straps

Hanging around for over 40 years

Started in Boy Scouts almost 50 years ago. Went on an adventure hike and used a torn tent and a painters tarp. I always carry an extra tarp. "Be prepared". Used different hammocks a few times but slept on the ground mostly for twenty years. Got wet, stiff, and slept on lumps plenty of times. Started getting older, swore to myself I wasn't going to sleep on the ground anymore and haven't in 20 years. I've slept in hammocks made from tarps, ponchos, bed sheets, and window sheers, my son bought us a couple of cheapies that lasted about four years. then I bought a Hammaka. We've blue tarped in monsoons, storms, snow, and blistering heat, mostly car camping and bikepacking but a couple of hikes. We forded to an island in the Snoqualmie River on bikes a few years ago and had a blast all by ourselves.The last one was hardcore. Necklace Valley. My Brother thanked me for talking him into hanging. He was a hardcore hiker.
    My son and I have even stretched out on hammocks strung between two bikes staked out. It works. We use the cheapie hammocks strung up snug below us with clothes spread out to insulate our butts. That works fine. Four extra ounces is as good as gold.
    A hammock is the only reason this 60 year old will still sleep out in the wild. I hate sleeping on dirt, rocks, sticks, and roots, with bugs, critters, and stresms or puddles beneath me. I love hanging out above all the misery.
    Y'all got the right idea. Take it from an old timer.

Hammock
    DIY Double 1.1
    Tarp
    Guide Gear 11x11
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & DIY peapo
    Suspension
    WS w/ SL Straps
    I got tired of sleeping on rock and twigs... and a few of my fellow hikers/campers turned me onto hanging..

I saw the natural hammock things on Avatar. I thought it would be rather cozy to sleep like that so I started looking up enclosed hammocks. I like to camp anyway so when I saw this YouTube series about a guy camping in -17 degree weather? Well, woooo buddy!!I was hooked

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    More stealth capability....comfort for the aging bones....better sleep....less impact on natural resources....easy to use & carry
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

• + New Posts
  • Page 147 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4797137145146147148149157197247 ... LastLast