Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner/ WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQflight/WB Lynx
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    The reason i have decided to go with a hammock is for the comfort. I used to be big time car camper but on the cases when all i had to sleep on was a CCF pad i seemed to find every root and rock in area after i had laid down. The only way i could get a decent nights sleep was if i was just dead tired or carrying a good drunk..

I was talking with a buddy of mine who is doing section hikes of the AT and he rekindled my love of hiking and camping. I asked him about his gear and he told me he was just starting to experiment with Hammock camping. He told me about this strange guy on YouTube named Shug and that i needed to watch his videos. I did and now im hooked! My first hammock is on order and hopefully will be here soon.

Hammock
    ENO DoubleNester
    Tarp
    Eno ProFly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas Straps

Habitual Hanger

I think the thing that really got me into hangin' was a bunch of people i knew of had started use ding gathered end hammocks to go backpacking on the AT and i really wanted to start backpacking because I've always loved nature but thought that heavy tents were impractical and the hammock was the solution for me!
    Thanks,
    KSaggin.

"Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves"- Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY 10' w/Doors
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing

What made you a "hanger"?

My three sons and one grandson wanted me to start backpacking with them. I backpacked when I was younger (back when typical packs were 40 lbs.). When researching different lightweight gear I came across Hennessy's website. I bought one with a larger hex fly and UQ & TQ from Jacks R Better. I have never been more comfortable camping. I am totally hooked on hammock camping and have started to make my own gear. This forum has so much information on it. I just wish I'd have found it when I started hammock camping. It would have shortened my learning curve.

Matt-138
    I was looking around for ultralite t*nt options,and found the hammock! that was 3 years ago and the rest is history! (this is my first post)

Hammock
    DIY gathered end/bridge custom
    Insulation
    DIY tq & uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I got introduced to hammocking when a couple years ago, I got a Byer hammock, and LOVED it! since then, I have never gone to ground.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WL Oldman Winter
    Insulation
    WL Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Images
    I started looking at a hammock when I realized that my comfortable 4.5" self-inflating ground pad packed larger and weighed more than my tent. I tried a hammock, and have been hangin' ever since.

Doni

Hammock
    Wanderlust SE Robin's Egg Blue
    Tarp
    Wanderlust Special
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    It all started around April when I was moving from a large home (with beds!) to a small apartment. I was looking at all of my options--bunk beds, Futon (I actually bartered for a frame, but never got the mattress to go with it), sleeping bags on the floor, shiki buton (japanese futons that you roll up each day and put into a closet), and a bunch of other ideas. I needed to maximize my space and make sure each square inch was multi-purpose. And, I wanted everyone to be able to get a good night's sleep each night as well.

And then I stumbled upon this forum! I lurked for a while as a guest and gleaned a bunch of information. I talked with my kidlets about how they felt about sleeping in hammocks and we decided to give some Brazilians a shot. In the end I joined the forum (June), but never posted till this week.

We LOVE our hammocks and can't imagine ever going back to beds. The kids love being able to unhook the hammocks so they can hula hoop in their bedroom and actually use all of the space in there for play. Every once in a while I check in to see if they still prefer the hammocks and if anyone wants me to get a bed for them. The answer is always "no way!"

I'm so thankful for this forum and the support, information, videos, etc.! You all helped me to turn a challenging situation into a win/win for my family. <3

We are enjoying our hammocks so much that there is talk of picking up some camping hammocks and joining a hang in the Spring!
    Last edited by runningwithscissors22; 11-28-2013 at 12:49. Reason: Edited to add

Hammock
    HH Exp Asym Classic
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Great question! I guess that I was first introduced to the ways of the hammock while researching lighter options for backpacking. After field testing one, I was hooked! I look forward to the end of the day when it is time to set up camp and relax in my hammock!

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB 1.7 Single Layer
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    The comfort of staying off the ground..

Hammock
    WBRR / WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Buckles / Whoopies
    It all started a couple years ago when i was just beginning boy scouts, and we went to the buffalo bill scout camp. At the local store, there were hammocks. i decided to try it out, and hey?! what do ya know? im hooked!

• + New Posts
  • Page 152 of 258 FirstFirst ... 52102142150151152153154162202252 ... LastLast