Hammock
    XLC Blackbird Multi-cam
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Yeti multicam
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Well I bought a new industrial machine to make my own pouches in the new camo that comes out. I like to hide

Well I started on Utube and came across a video of a guy making fly. He kept saying over and over hammock forums. LOL so I headed on over here.

Signed up... everyone was so friendly paid for 2 years membership.

Then seen all the cool hammocks and just had to have one. So spent some cash on warbonnet hammock and fly then seen a deal on keeping your but warm from arrowhead https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=sale so I took advantage of that.

Then I seen I needed special clips so i went to jackarebetter and dutch

So now I sit in and wait in excitement for all the new toys to come in.

When I am done playing with my new toys I will get some time to use this new threader machine. I have alot of material sitting here I ordered from ebay and other places. webbing, velcro, snaps amazing how many little things you need to start a project.

Since then I am addicted to the forum and can not wait for the new stuff to come in and GO HIKING!.

Hammock
    WB Traveller double 1.7
    Tarp
    sont have one yet.
    Insulation
    therm zpad short
    Suspension
    webbing / biners

Why did I begin hanging?

Cannibal got me on the idea of hanging on the Colorado Trail. Finding a flat spot to pitch a tent and roll out the sleeping bag and pad was a major point of concern every night on the trail. So I decided to buy a simple hammock from WarBonnet outdoors and put it up in my bedroom, hanging above my $3k bed. I wanted to hang it and see if I could stand sleeping like that--if I could tolerate it for a month or so on the trail. Short answer is yes, and I have been sleeping in the hammock ever since. So I do believe that it will be super easy to sleep in a hammock on the trail. Now, all I have to do is figure out what type of tarp I want to use. I am torn between going full coverage for the protection, just in case i get stuck in a thunderstorm, or go minimalist and just do the bare minimum. I have a feeling I am going to go for the gusto and just shoulder the additional weight.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    CF Winter Palace
    Insulation
    MLD Spirit/Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies&Dutchgear
    Quote Originally Posted by BirdogsID View Post
    Cannibal got me on the idea of hanging on the Colorado Trail. Finding a flat spot to pitch a tent and roll out the sleeping bag and pad was a major point of concern every night on the trail. So I decided to buy a simple hammock from WarBonnet outdoors and put it up in my bedroom, hanging above my $3k bed. I wanted to hang it and see if I could stand sleeping like that--if I could tolerate it for a month or so on the trail. Short answer is yes, and I have been sleeping in the hammock ever since. So I do believe that it will be super easy to sleep in a hammock on the trail. Now, all I have to do is figure out what type of tarp I want to use. I am torn between going full coverage for the protection, just in case i get stuck in a thunderstorm, or go minimalist and just do the bare minimum. I have a feeling I am going to go for the gusto and just shoulder the additional weight.
    How about meet both requirements? Sell your $3K bed, use the cash to buy a nice big Cuben Fibre tarp that is both lightweight and bomber against foul weather?
    Kiwiscout
    http://kiwiscoutwalksteararoa.blogspot.com.au
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC
    We always used to camp with tents as a family when the kids were all home. Never even considered hammocks! Two sons now do camping/survival as their job and the other goes on his own and got into hammocking. He told us about it and how great it was and then he bought me one for Father's day this year. My wife and I have been sleeping outside pretty much since then and lovin' it! Thanks to Hammock Forums for all the vast knowledge and experience to guide us along the way.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock NA
    Insulation
    sleeping pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Needed a smaller tent

I needed a bivy sack or equivalent, and probably saw an add in backpacker magazine for Clark Jungle Hammock.
    I've been hanging ever since (12 years), and only had to sleep on the ground once twice in that time. That last time sent me on a search for a portable hammock stand so it would be my last time.
    I had no idea how much of a community had developed around hammock camping, or how many hammock manufacturers are out there. I'm still using my Clark (what is now called the North American, it was the only one available back then) but am also trying out other setups like the ENO, considering making my own gear.

BEGINNER suspension question!!!

I have just been using Byers of Maine Micro-rope setup for my hammock...got alot of nice other stuff going on...but why all the fancy dancy rope systems? What is the difference??? Go for it! This should cause WEEKs of different answers for me!!!!

Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    I'm a relatively old hanger. I got interested in a hiking site called "SGT Rock's Hiking HQ". Rock lived here in LA at the time, just as I moved here too, and he had good things to say about them. He lived through a tropical storm in his (which effects I got to live through first hand as well). It seemed like a good thing for the heat, humidity, bugs, snakes, and getting up off the cypress knees (vs having to clear a spot to lay on), so I took the plunge and 10 years later, I still use my HH ULBA.

I've always used a tent while camping. But the Florida heat and humidity limited my time outdoors to the winter months. I stumbled on the HH web site and a light bulb came on ( the hammock is inherently cooler). As of now I'm still in transition, as I haven't found the extreme comfort most have; however I have found it to be much more bearable in the heat.

I'm hoping that if I keep playing with the set up, I will find my comfort zone.

Hammock
    DIY gathered or Mayan
    Tarp
    DIY sil nylon hex
    Insulation
    Wool and feathers
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies

What made you a "hanger"?

I've been a backyard hammock guy for years. I have a Mayan hammock that is like a cloud. We lived in the Dominican Republic for 3yrs building a children's home. It was my only refuge from the year around heat. But it's way to big and ventilated for camping. My boys became scouts when we returned to the US last year and I'm joining the fun as Webelos leader of our pack this year. I've been doing the tent thing with a themarest pad. This year I've decided to get off the roots and rocks! I'm planning to DIY a Speer type hammock. We'll see how that goes.
    "The mighty oak is nothing more than a little nut that held his ground."

Jack of all trades...master of one. (Master Barber)

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Oakseed View Post
    I've been a backyard hammock guy for years. I have a Mayan hammock that is like a cloud. We lived in the Dominican Republic for 3yrs building a children's home. It was my only refuge from the year around heat. But it's way to big and ventilated for camping. My boys became scouts when we returned to the US last year and I'm joining the fun as Webelos leader of our pack this year. I've been doing the tent thing with a themarest pad. This year I've decided to get off the roots and rocks! I'm planning to DIY a Speer type hammock. We'll see how that goes.
    Big welcome to our wacky community, and be sure to let us know how the DIY turns out! I'm sure there are others like me who love to see pics and hear about the finished product
    Coffee?

• + New Posts
  • Page 144 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146154194244 ... LastLast