Page 165 of 258 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast
Results 1,641 to 1,650 of 2579
    I have yet to sleep in a hammock. I retired last summer and have been shedding weight from my old backpacking equipment. I love tarps but the ground thing is getting too hard for these old bones. I like camping near tree line in the fall and steep mountains have few places to ground it so why not hang, problem solved. I have been making lots of light weight equipment and dug out my old singer and about to sew up a hanger. Lots to learn.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock NX-250
    Insulation
    None
    Suspension
    Whoppie's
    I've been backpacking for around 25-years. My last trip in 2012 I noticed it was hard getting out of my tent and sleeping on the ground isn't getting any easier. I have a hammock I used just for fun and decided to take a little nap and was out for a solid 3-hours and felt great. I did a lot of research and decided on the Clark Jungle NX-250 hammock. I can't wait to try it out in August. This will be my first time sleeping in a hammock full-time backpacking, any advice you can give that will make my first hammock experience a good one, please feel free.

Hammock
    DIY Camo Gathered-End
    Tarp
    DIY Camo Silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Pad & UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Slings
    It all began when I purchased a $35 Rothco Jungle hammock. I was a total n00b but eager to play with my new toy so I hit the mountain. My first night was terrible, having fallen out of the hammock 3 times. But you don't really fall out because you're zipped inside. By the 3rd night, I just wanted to come home and get some sleep.... but I was intrigued. Very intrigued. Then my life took a sudden sharp left when I got runneded-over on my Buell by a little semi-drunken UofA coed. Then... for some odd reason, I really became intrigued with hammocks. So I started making them... and testing them....out in the back yard.
    I make gear... lots and lots of gear.
    http://campingwithken.com/

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    All it took was one night in the Shenandoah Mountains! Ground was very steep and very rocky (even after few minutes of removing rocks) so I learned my lesson the first time...

Hammock
    WB Blackbird XLC Double 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Mamba TQ, Yeti UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm an assistant scoutmaster and camp about 10 nights a year with scouts and maybe 2 or 3 with my own boys. After spending another horrible night on a thermarest base camp I decided that I had to do something different or quit the scouts. I still don't sleep perfect in the hammock, but I do get way more sleep and I'm not even the slightest bit stiff or sore when I wake up.

Hammock
    Blackbird,HH Hyperlite, Kammok Roo
    Tarp
    HG cuben w/doors
    Insulation
    HG 20 degree set
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    6 or 7 years ago I hiked the Kalalau Trail on Kauai with a friend. It monsoon rained for 6 days straight. He had a Hennessy Hammock. I had a tiny, heavier, one-person ground tent. He had a nice place to hang out with a view of the jungle and the pacific while it rained. I didn't even have a vestibule, and I couldn't sit up straight in the tent. I spent a lot of time sitting under my friend's Hennessy (occasionally we'd share it, but it wasn't comfortable for two for long.) :-( I've been sold on the idea ever since, but my last BF wasn't interested in trying a Hammock so we stuck with a 2-person UL tent. Now that he's no longer my BF, I've gone the direction I've been wanting to try for years! Being single rocks. ;-)
    Dawn

Hammock
    eno doublenest
    Insulation
    Hg 0 incubator
    Suspension
    atlas straps
    Images
    Just becoming a hanger, I like the idea because of how uncomfortable I sleep on the ground. I have a eno dn setup (bought the package deal, maybe wish I had done a little more research), can't wait to get an uq! I've slept soundly in it on a few car camping trips, but tend to get cold. I live in the tetons and recently just started getting serious about backpacking and thought that hammocks might be the way to go. Can't wait for my first true overnight hang, but will have to until I get an uq.

Hammock
    Grand trunk duo
    Tarp
    none yet
    Insulation
    open to advice
    Suspension
    Eno slap straps
    I ventured into Bill Jacksons in Florida last year, saw an Eno double just "hanging there". Looked interesting, so I made the plunge, got in and was hooked on hammocks. Just need to get out more now that I have moved to Germany. Much to see and do--5 star room in the woods in a hammock! Does life get any better?

Hammock
    DIYing 2 tablecloths, 2 argon 1.6
    Tarp
    Mod of DIY OGEE?
    Insulation
    old pad for now
    Suspension
    DIY straps, whoops
    Images
    My dad was Air Force and we moved to Puerto Rico when I was 5. The normal way 90% of the Puerto Ricans slept was in hammocks, often with many strung criss-cross in a small room. To us Americans, hammocks meant relaxation and fun. I never lost that. These hammocks were net and no end bars, so end bars never seemed like a positive addition to me. Once I started backpacking and putting my out of shape 50-ish body on a thin pad, hammocks immediately sounded better. I first bought the $7.98? Coleman at Walmart and eventually wore it out, but, got hooked on sleeping between trees under a sylnylon poncho. Still have the poncho. Thinking about 3 options now: Dutch's new fabric, crinkle tablecloth DIY, or, Snugpak jungle hammock. But I'll take those thoughts to other threads.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Always changing
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch straps
    I haven't started to hang yet... but soon. The interest started from looking up light weight diy gear I'd much rather build it than buy it makes. It just so happens that it will also feel better on my back so needless to say I'm excited about getting started in the next couple weeks (starting to put all my gear together now).

• + New Posts
  • Page 165 of 258 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175215 ... LastLast