I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I was trying to remember how I came across this webpage and started hanging. It seems so long ago now. I think I'd have to trace the start back to looking for a light-weight option for a camp chair which brought me to youtube videos about the bushcraft chair (tripod made of saplings). That got my DIY bug going and I then came across alcohol stoves and hammocks about the same time. I'm pretty sure watching related videos on youtube when researching hammock chairs and bushcraft chairs brought me to Shug. I'm not sure what came first, Just Jeff's website, Sgt Rock's videos or Shug's videos, but I'd have to give all of them partial credit. I have to admit that Just Jeff's website has a ton of information and much of it helped me out tremendously to start with. Shug's videos have been a great resource along the way and I visit them again when I see links posted on the site.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    adjustable webbing
    Watching Shugs videos on youtube got me on fire for hammocking. I have been a diehard hammocker ever since. -Matt
    Life is just a tire swing -Jimmy Buffet

Hammock
    DIY 30D 11.5ft Gathered End
    Tarp
    Banana trees
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    WhoopieHookStraps
    What made me a hammocker? Well a bad back to start, lying on rocks, deflated thermarest, foam thermarest that really isn't comfortable on the ground, ground critters, tents are a pain to set up, my tents are heavier (i know about tarp tents), the love of staring up at the stars while gently swaying back and forth, etc.

What I don't love about hammocking - CBS (Cold Butt Syndrome)!! A properly set UQ fixes this though.

-LOAF
    Woke up this morning, and I had those Walking Blues....

I wanna live beneath the dirt, where I'd be free from push and shove like all those swarming up above

~Trey Anastasio

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    First, I tried out a friend's HH for about 60 seconds and I was sold -- it was SOOOO comfortable!

Then, once I got a HH of my own, I found it so comfortable that, not only did it replace a tent when camping, but it often replaced actual indoor mattresses on many occasions -- given a choice between an indoor mattress and my HH, I often choose to hang.

Eric

Like many, I started by seeing a friend hang one up three years ago on our annual boys camping trip. We struggled to find an even enough spot to put our 6 man tent while sam set up his ENO in about 2 minuets and just sat their laughing at the rest of us.

I took a nap in his the next day and was sold. I bought one the next week and never looked back.

It's hard to find a spot for a tent in a place like this!

Hammock
    DIY purple HyperD
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

How?

I've always liked hammocks, but they were the wooden spreader bar type and so I thought I could never take them anywhere but the back yard. Came across a guy selling the hand knotted "Costa Rica" style at our local farmer's market, but they were pretty expensive, so I started looking on-line and discovered the gathered end style of hammock. Went to REI and bought the ENO, set it up in my backyard and slept in it instead of on the back deck. I put the deck sleeping pads away the next day and have been in the hammock as often as I can over the last month. Went back-packing to the Lost Creek Wilderness Area last week and my tenting friends all want hammocks now...
    I bought "The Ultimate Hang" book and have been haunting this forum for a while, so finally decided to join up.

I have never liked hammocks. I have been in the military for 20 years and sleeping on the ground was just what I know. Well I was on a deployment in the African Jungles and was issued a HH to use. I reluctantly brought it with all intentions to sleep on the ground as I have done since I was a teenager. Well one night it was raining while we where out in the field and I decided to give it a try.

I haven't slept on the ground since. Once my son was old enough for cub scouts he wanted a hammock and we both have been hammock camping since. Alot of the scouts like them and their dads thinnk it is a bit difficult but I am working on converting them lol.

Hammock
    Hennesy Expedition Asym Classic
    Tarp
    Hennessy
    Insulation
    Thermarest Trl-Lt
    Suspension
    Webbing Straps

Newbie Introduction

I've been backpacking in Wisconsin and sleeping in one person tents for quite a while. Like russmay I bought a Byer mosquito hammock on clearance from REI to experiment with hammock use in my backyard prior to investing in a hammock system. My experiment went well and and I proceeded to purchase a Kelty Noah Tarp on sale to familiarize myself with hammock/tarp setup. Having enjoyed "hanging" it was time to find an integrated hammock system at the right price. I immersed myself in hammock related youtube videos while waiting for the right price point and discovered Shug and all his insane yet highly educational videos. I came across a New Hennessy Asym Classic for $128.00 delivered and pulled the trigger. I enjoy being in the woods and the hammock will allow me to continue backpacking for many more years even if not able to sleep on the ground any longer. Been watching the interaction between "hangers" on this forum and the amount of valuable information offered not to mention the camaraderie and decided to jump in. Not being very creative with names I chose Hammockman and my birth year. I look forward to participating in this forum and thanks again for the useful information.
    "Not all who wander are lost" - Tolkien

Hammock
    ENO double

efficient camping

I have always been interested in hammocks. I have been using the same hammock joke for years, when so-and-so office-mate closes their office door a hammock drops down, the lights go out, and the forest soundscape turns on. (Don't we all wish!)

So I started researching hammocks, looking for a comfortable place to sit and lounge that is portable to take on an upcoming trip. Those are my first two reasons, hammocks are very lightweight and portable and provide a comfortable place to "hang out". During my online journey I watched several hammock reviews on Youtube while trying to find a hammock that suited me.

Through these reviews I found many more aspects of hammock camping that appealed to me. First and foremost is the reduced weight of not having to carry a tent! This gives you the option to go light and carry more supplies. Which directly relates to trips that can be longer due to less weight. My second favorite thing about hammock camping is the ease of setup. Being able to quickly setup and take-down your campsite. Whether you need to move out of an area quickly or setup a shelter fast due to a storm, setting up a hammock is a great choice!

Personally, I have been on a ship on the open ocean and enjoyed the feeling of being part of something larger than the vessel I was on. The rocking of the waves made for some relaxing sleep. I think the hammock brings this to the table as well. For me I want an experience that brings me closer to nature and this is it.

DTT

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    WBMJ
    Insulation
    sleeping bag
    Suspension
    WB adj. webbing
    Actually bought my ENO DN last year on a whim when the salesmen in my local outdoor store told me about them. I was preparing to go on a beach vacation and started dreaming about throwing one up and reading in the shade of the palm trees while listening to the sound of the waves... Only later did I start to consider the possibility of exchanging my tent for the hammock when camping or backpacking. But since I have major back pain anytime I try to sleep on the hard ground, it seemed like a logical decision. Now I just need to get my hubby on board so I can bring this new romance (between me and my hammock) to "happily ever after." :-)

• + New Posts
  • Page 146 of 258 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246 ... LastLast