Hammock
    DD Traveler
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Air mat
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I started kayaking and was all excited to be able to go on overnight trips to various places.

But was quickly disappointed with how few legal camping places there are around here.

The national parks are very strict about only camping in their limited worn out designated camping areas, which require bookings in advance, months in advance for summer, even ballot systems during the peak holiday season.
    There are few flat areas for a tent, and they are "obvious" areas where rangers are likely to patrol and fine or tell you off, or other campers will already be there.
    The few suitable sites aren't so suitable when you have to haul a 30kg 18ft kayak plus all your gear up to camp from the shore.
    Commercial camping grounds are becoming extinct, gradually filling up with cabins, and charging up to $40 a night for a simple tent site.

The general advice from the kayaking community was that if you want to kayak camp your going to have to go stealth. Setup on a beach in the dark and be gone as soon as the sun rises.
    Depressingly anti "freedom".

The name "Hennesey Hammock" came up as a device with stealthy abilities, research begun from there, found there are quite a lot of brands available even though none are ever seen in the camping stores.

Realised there is more potential than just stealth, "these people are raving about them actually being comfortable!", Im thinking that would be very nice since I have never had a comfortable night laying on my inch thick self inflating mattress inside a tent, especially with aching shoulder and back muscles from paddling all day.

But people were saying hammocks hurt your back due to curving. You cant sleep on your side (Im a side sleeper). This worried me.
    I now suspect they have never tried a camping hammock.

So after much procrastination, and waiting for a friend to get one first as a test, I ordered one. I went for a cheap system, less loss if I didnt like it.

All good so far, immeasurably more comfortable than a tent even when car camping with a thick air mattress.
    Now I am seriously considering making a frame so I can hang in a campground in a few weeks (no trees there). Even with the luxuries of car camping I am dreading the hard ground and restless night in a tent compared with the hammock.

Hammock
    Eno Double Nest
    Tarp
    ENO ProFly
    Insulation
    New River
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    I have been eyeing the Eno hammocks for a while. I decided to buy one just to hang at my campsites and relax. I did not like the slapstraps at all. I am a bigger guy and they stretched way to much. I currently just use some old straps I had from my repelling days. But after I started researching staps for hammocks I discovered this whole world of hammock campers! I only regret I did not start earlier. I am still a noob and I have not spent a complete night out side. I cannot afford an underquilt just yet but I will have one and I really don't see myself sleeping on the ground ever again.

Hammock
    Eno
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Air pad & UQ
    Suspension
    JRB nylon straps
    I was looking for the lightest tent I could find and borrowed a tent to try on a trip. I struggled during the night to get out when mother natured called and then was really sore when I did get up. When I climbed out of the tent in the morning I was staring at my sons hammock and decided to kick him out of it the following night. He slept in the tent for the rest of the trip and I've never looked back..

The Camping Cranes
    My sons and I have been involved in scouts for over 8 years and my oldest wanted a hammock for Christmas 2 years ago. He loved it and made me try it. I did a couple of single nights and I thought I could do this hanging thing. Finally this last summer camp week I set up a tent and my hammock. Spent the whole week in the hammock. I am now convinced. Just did a weekend camp with the boys and never even considered a tent. Joined this forum to find out all the tricks that I have been missing. Have learned that some pads are too slick for a hammock and I am ready to soak in the knowledge. We do a winter camp in a Tee Pee and my back is always killing me. Hope this year to hang above the snow.

carolinatrecker
    I never really enjoyed the idea of packing a tent so I decided to buy an ENO and try sleeping in it. I've loved it ever since, much better than sleeping on the ground.

Hammock
    WBBB, Hennessy Explorer
    Tarp
    Ripstop for now
    Insulation
    DIY topquilt
    Suspension
    strap & carabiner
    Been a camper/hiker all my life but a broken back in 1985 made it all a little less fun. At least I had something else to complain about beside's my torn rotator cuff and the degenerative disks in my neck. I'd drag my trifecta of maladies around with me backpacking pretending not to hurt as I tromped on down the trail but falling asleep while talking or standing was a dead give-away I was not getting enough sleep. Then one day I found a cheap gathered-end hammock at Wally-mart and thought maybe I'd try it out. Wow-this thing was comfortable to lie on, especially if it was hung up! That led me to purchase a Hennessy Explorer and then a Warbonnet BlackBird. The rest is history as they say and now days I even sleep at home in a hammock.
    Like most of you I watch Shug's video's for information and new ideas and because of that I may try learning to ride a unicycle.

Hammock
    Deep South Mountaineering
    Tarp
    Double Wide
    Insulation
    Xtherm
    Suspension
    Trees Best Friend

Cant beat Peeing while in your sleeping bad

Tents got too easy and the idea of being outside all the time and sleeping on a cloud are better then a cold glass of ice tea on a hot summa day.
    Stephen Eren
    Deep South Mountaineering
    Co-Founder, Chief of Friendship

DSM CREED
    "May your bear hangs be high and your poos 6 inches deep,
    your pack always lite & beers in town CHEAP."

Hammock
    11' 1.2 Robic XL
    Tarp
    Misc DIY ones
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    UHMWPE Straps
    Images
    I've been camping since I was a kid in everything from campers to tents to bivy sacs. I did a fair amount of backpacking. Hanging didn't come to be until I started flying as a loadmaster for the Air Force. I wanted a better way to sleep on the flights than a pad and a sleeping bag on the cargo compartment floor.

I used ENOs and lots of blankets for the longest time without ever making the connection between hammock and camping...until I needed to buy a new one and discovered that they made better ones for camping!

After that, I looked into getting one and wound up with my WBBB that I'm in now. Only had 1 actual trip with it thus far....although it is hanging in my bedroom too.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351479728.057324.jpg

Sean
    73 de W4BKR

Not all who wander are lost... - J.R.R. Tolkein
    ...Besides, if we get lost, we just pull in somewheres and ask directions - Captain Ron

The ever striving gram weenie...always updated with the next trip

Hammock
    DIY End Channel
    Tarp
    DIY Winter tarp
    Insulation
    UGQ and HG
    Suspension
    Kevlar, amsteel.
    Images
    I saw a review of one of the dd hammocks on naturalbushcraft.co.uk and thought hmmm... interesting. Started researching hammocks, found this place, made a hammock instead of buying one and then cleared out my savings buying other bits and bobs (not that it was much anyway) and I'm now thinking about upgrading my kit! Shame we don't have as many options as you guys in North America here in the UK!

Hey everybody first post and I saw the what made you a hanger thread so I figured I would throw in on this. I started rock climbing about a year ago and as I started to travel farther to climb in better locations we(my self and some friends) started staying over night. A couple of my friends had ENO hammocks and seemed to really enjoy them. I was currently using a bivy system. Got an ENO single nest and haven't looked back. Right now I'm working on planning an AT through hike and upgrading to a HH hyperlite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 119 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1969109117118119120121129169219 ... LastLast