Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Bad MahambaJamba
    Insulation
    Grizzly bag pad
    Suspension
    Webbing straps
    Thanks Pips. Great video. That boy Matt KNEW he needed an underquilt! lol. I love rookie mistakes on camera, so we can all learn, and shake our heads. lol. It was funny that Matt was set up while the other two were still making camp. Thanks for the link Pips.
    "Are you gonna eat that?"

Dain Bramage videos at

http://www.youtube.com/user/FatDaddy4Fun?feature=mhum

Hammock
    Eno DN - all I know so far in life.
    Suspension
    1" web w/ ET

Seemed like a good idea, now I'm addict.

I had heard of 'hammock camping' and then I saw the Eno DN on sale at REI, and I had a gift card from opening a credit card. So I bought it and thought I'd give it a shot.

I first tested it in the Boundary Waters, and my tent was just dead weight after that first night... I used it on a weekender in the Porcupines with my girlfriend, and we both slept well enough... then I slept in it for a month straight while camping/canvassing/campaigning during the midterm elections in the Fall. Waking up covered in fall foliage after an amazing night sleep to watch the sunrise without moving a muscle? After that I was hooked.

Hammock
    HHULB Zipper Mod
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11
    Insulation
    JRB nest
    Suspension
    whoopies

HELLO hammock campers

4 or 5 years ago my brother and I were trying to switch from napping in our hammocks around camp to sleeping in them overnight.
    All we had were those somewhat comfy rope fishnet style hammocks.
    In the good weather we would squirm into a sleeping bag and if it looked like rain we would retreat to our tents.
    My best idea at the time was to use my MSS Bivy for rain protection.
    We never encountered others doing this and wondered if we were the only ones?
    A funny thing happened 2 years ago, I was surfing the web for a replacement hammock, I wanted to try the parachute gathered end style for comfort and BANG stumbled upon Hennessy Hammocks homepage (thank you google, and super thanks to you- Tom Hennessy)!!!
    I didn’t have the funds for what seemed like too much money, so I ordered up a Hammaka single from Wal-Mart online for $26 and quickly emailed the link to the Hennessey webpage to my brother and stayed up most of the night reading all the crafty ideas on his site.
    The next day I was out in the backyard stringing up a 8x10 camo tarp with some paracord and thus started my onslaught of backpacking experiments which continues to dazzle my wife with my seemingly Einstein like creations (most of which I have learned about here)
    So THANK YOU to everyone here!!!
    "life is a gateway drug" -Jonathan Wyman

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Mamajamba/JRB Cat
    Insulation
    summer incubator
    Suspension
    straps
    Images
    Did a winter trip a number of years ago, it poured, tents flooded. One guy had a hammock..I was sold.

Hammock
    Hennesey Expedition
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    HG TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    Amsteel

I came across the idea of hammock camping when I was looking into ultralight backpacking, and it immediately appealed to me, since it solves all the issues with tents that I don't like (pack volume, sleeping on the ground, water leaking through the floor). When HH had their demo unit sale in October, I finally caved and got myself a UL backpacker asym.

Tried it recently during a climbing trip to Kentucky for six nights and loved it. Before that trip, every time I've been camping I woke up at about 7 AM feeling stiff and uncomfortable. One of the days during the trip, someone had to wake me up at 9:30 to get my butt in gear so we'd be on time to start the day. I was so cozy and comfortable, it was almost a shame to get up.

sircampsalot
    Hello my name is Derek. Have many trips and years under the belt camping and canoeing.
    Only camped once from a hammock and found it cold and damp on the British Columbia coast. So have always tented. Been involved with Scouts Canada for 33 years and this year one of the Venturers in the group got me thinking about using a hammock vis a tent.
    I am looking at the Blackbird doublelayer 1.7oz with the superfly built in doors. It was recommented as being sort of the way to go. So after reading about the product I am now at the point of maybe placing an order. What advise or words of wisdom should I be considering when starting out with a new hammock. Thus not wasting money time or a product that might not work out in the long run. Lets see if there is anyone with an opion

Hammock
    PapaSmurf 1.1 dbl W/ Bug Net
    Tarp
    MIL Issued Poncho
    Insulation
    ACU Sleep System
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    I became a hanger when I was about 18 before my grandfather died. I got fed up with my dad turning into an alchoholic after my mother died so I left home. I talked to my grandfather to see if I could stay with him. He told me no. Being that other than him I had no where to go I told him I think I'm going to travel around a while till I get something figured out. He said he wanted to help me out and come back the next day. I came back the next day and he had $100 and an old jungle hammock he was issued when he was in the army. He told me he couldn't give me a place to stay, but could give me something comfortable to sleep in. He died a few years later.
    That hammock traveled with me to Colorodo, Louisiana, California, Arizona, New Mexico, Kentucky, Tennesse, Missouri, New York, Massachusets, Texas, Kuait, Afghanistan, Iraq, and tons of other places that are now a lost memory. So my grandfather got me into hanging out of nessecity, but I continue out of comfort. I've tried tent camping and never realy liked it. I always woke up stiff.
    I swear I have never killed an axe, but might be a cereal killer just cant help it with a name like life it has to go down. -Wildcrafter-

ON ON!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL
    Tarp
    CTF3 Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix 3S, GoLite
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    Mostly for the same reasons a lot of folks have stated here: hammocks offer a very light, packable alternative to tents and all that goes with them. And of course, that comfort thing. It all hit me last summer after a brutal night sliding off of my darn pad. The next afternoon, exhausted from NOT sleeping the night before, I was napping ever so comfortably in my dept store cheapo hammock, right next to my gazillion dollar tent and bajillion dollar sleeping pad, wondering WHY was I hauling these things around when I can never seem to get a good night's rest??

The answer was right in front of my nose. Er...well, it was under my butt to be exact. I started doing some research when I got home and hammockforums popped up on the googles.

And to be perfectly honest about it...hammock camping opened up a whole new world of GEAR. Not only that, a whole community of friendly, dedicated people and some terrific 'Made in America' cottage entrepeneurs. What's not to like about that?

I didn't get rid of all my ground gear, mind you, but man is it gonna get lonely in those storage bins this year!

Oh, hammocks, you had me at ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzz.
    “Simplicity in all things is the secret of the wilderness and one of its most valuable lessons. I think the matter of simplicity goes further than just food, equipment, and unnecessary gadgets; it goes into the matter of thoughts and objectives as well. When in the wilds, we must not carry our problems with us or the joy is lost.” -Sigurd Olson

TonyB

Lightbulb How it all started

One canoe trip in the Adirondack's with my son's BSA troop got me thinking that I never want to sleep on the ground again! It seemed to me a person should be able to suspend above the ground. A little searching on the web lead to Hennessey, ultra light camping and here.

• + New Posts
  • Page 67 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977117167 ... LastLast