ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by goalie View Post
    Why?

Once I am below about 16-17 pounds, my experience doesn't really change a whole lot with small amounts of weight loss on my back. Will two pounds in your pack actually alter your camping experience?
    Part of my obsession is the challenge for efficiency. I love the technological progress that got us this light, and it keeps me eager for more (I mean less).
    Another reason is that the lighter my base pack gets, the better I walk, AND the more fun stuff I can carry. I like to bring toys and better food. I don't feel so bad when I bring the 4 pound pack raft, and Trout cooked with bacon is wonderful.
    The last thing is that I am competitive. I usually beat my friends pack weight by pounds and still manage to bring more fun stuff than they do. Frankly, I get a kick out of how amazed they are.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 single, 2QZQ HH, GTUL
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Yeti / Black Mamba
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    #1 I saw popeye and his pappy swaying in there hammocks when I was a kid. (Thats also why I like spinach). from then on, I have wanted to sleep a-swingin.

#2 There are a lot of rattle snakes where I live.

#3 I sat on an ant pile when I was a kid, thinking it looked like a nice stool. The girl I was talking to screamed and ran away. I looked around, What?
    I looked down, and I was completely covered in a swarm of texas fire ants. After that I was never the same about crawly bugs. I like sleeping in a hammock knowing that Im not sleeping with the ants that forever torment my soul with their black plague of tickling paranoia.

#4 Because you fall through a cloud if you try to lay on one. So the next best thing is a hammock.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & Te-Wa UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post

#4 Because you fall through a cloud if you try to lay on one. So the next best thing is a hammock.
    This is the best reason ever!
    I love it.

Hammock
    1.1dbl WBBB
    Tarp
    ZPacks DCF
    Insulation
    SLD Enigma/WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by Pastorus View Post
    This is the best reason ever!
    I love it.
    +1 .... I need to remember it now.
    Dan
    W7DDM

Hammock
    HH Exped, Claytor JH
    Tarp
    Speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    JRB The Nest
    Suspension
    mish mash
    I'm not really what you call a new hanger. I bought my first HH Expedition 2.5 from REI back in 2002 and would rotate hanging with tenting depending on the weather. I never even knew there was a community such as this existed until I stumbled upon one of Shug's videos (he cracks me up) on youtube. A buddy of mine had an old army surplus jungle hammock and he used to rave about it all the time. One day he showed up on a float trip with a new Lawson camping hammock and when I saw that I knew I had to have one too. I ran out and bought the HH and immediately knew that my days on the ground were numbered only I didn't know about all the options that you could apply to hang during late fall and winter so the hammock stayed stowed away until spring...until I found hammock forums.
    Now I've started putting together my cold weather kit and with the advice and the reviews of all the gear options out there I'm sure I'll get it figured out so as to get off the ground all together.
    And it's really refreshing to be part of a forum where respect for other posters opinions is truly observed without criticism but with constructive alternatives. Gotta love that.
    Bessie Braddock: Sir, you are drunk.
    Churchill: And you, madam, are ugly. But in the morning, I shall be sober.
    Winston Churchill

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    After a sleepless night on the ground during a multi-day trip I fell asleep in a cheapy hammock given to me for service as a scout leader. The next night I saw another couple of backpackers with a HH and Clark Jungle Hammock. I just did the research from there and like many of the stories here, I now have 6 hammocks used by me and my 2 older sons. Son #3 has now requested it is his turn so I will bring him to the Fall MAHHA. He can't wait.

Hammock
    Speer IIIA
    Tarp
    WinterTarp
    Insulation
    PeaPod
    Suspension
    Need to learn this
    I've been reading the forum for a while and just joined!

I'm not really a hanger yet, but wanting to become one, and here's how I got to where I am:
    (it's kind of long)

1. Randomly discovered the joy of hiking on my own.
    2. Knew nothing and did everything wrong. During my first 2-day hikes I "destroyed" my body every time and needed a week to heal. (Brought the wrong stuff, brought too much, used bad or no gear, packed useless food, didn't know my body et c)
    3. Walked 600 km or so over 8 months and gradually improved my technique and gear. Every weird situation I survived made me love it more.
    Meanwhile a lot of things happened that made me more and more sick of the whole concept of having my own place to live indoors. It seemed heavy, inefficient, wasteful, tiresome...
    4. I was going to work by train and a situation appeared where I knew I wouldn't make it to the last train in the evening. It was in the middle of February and I had never slept outdoors in wintertime before, but overly confident from my hiking experiences thus far, I brought my stuff and slept in a park, with double sleeping bags and double thermo pads on a bench to avoid the snow. Now that I know how cold the Swedish winter nights really are I think I was just lucky it worked.
    5. A few weeks later I had to leave the apartment I had lived in, against my will. Carrying all my stuff on my back to a friend's place, I realized how many useless things I owned. From then on I have constantly been trying to reduce my possessions by selling, giving away, recycling et c. Today, 1½ years later, it's less than 20 kg and I could probably carry everything at once but at this point it would still suck. Soon my life will be completely mobile... soon...
    6. I didn't want to find another expensive wasteful apartment and fill it with meaningless stuff again. I started to sleep in a small forest near my company instead of going "home" by train. I got to my workplace before most people and could shower and eat and hide my gear under my desk without too many noticing. Sometimes I stayed indoors at friends' places. A few months passed this way.
    7. Sometime during the spring I found a Swedish DIY site on the internet where someone listed some benefits of using a hammock instead of a tent. It was like being struck by lightning. All my various experiences thus far of carrying heavy equipment and still not being able to sleep comfortably on the ground and so on, instantly turned into a conclusion: hammock. I found a guide on how to make one, on Just Jeff's page I think, and got started.
    8. In the beginning of May, I tried my hammock for the first time, bringing it instead of my thermo pad. It was insanely cold, I got very sick and was home from work for 2 weeks. I decided that the Swedish climate wasn't fit for human life, and that I would never spend another winter there.
    After recovering, I put a pad inside the hammock and managed to sleep almost OK for a few nights, but it was never really comfortable. Getting inside the sleeping bag was too hard, the pad kept sliding away. I couldn't keep the mosquitoes away either.
    9. At the beginning of the fall I moved to India in order to escape the winter. It was amazing and all but I somehow got sick of it (probably because I didn't know what I wanted to do) and came "home" after 6 months.
    10. I traveled for a few more months and when I came back this time I found myself unusually content with being in Sweden and kind of tired of traveling in other countries. I still have nowhere to live and recently realized that I could just go and buy myself a commercial proper hammock winter solution and be comfortable. After all, I really saved lots of money working while not paying any rent and living on simple camping food for 8 months, it's just fair that I invest in nice outdoor gear!
    I still don't like mosquitoes or being cold at night but I want to try again. And I can see in this community that I'm definitely not alone wanting to live close to nature, and also that there are lots of great people coming up with great ideas on how to solve any problems.

I have already learned lots here about what's available / possible. Thanks! This community is awesome. I love the nerdy terms. I will make a thread soon where I summarize my research so far and ask for advice on what solution to try first.

Hammock
    NONE! Shopping!
    My turn!
    I just registered earlier today and I'm in the market for a good hammock. How did I start?

Maybe 10 years ago G.I. Joe's surplus had some canvas hammock tents for $50. A buddy and I bought a pair on a complete whim and we tried them out. I liked mine, he hated his.
    We packed them away. I've used mine once or twice since then but it's disintegrated and torn apart. Years later, I saw another cool tenting option. Cot tents!! (pictured below)
    I had a Jeep at the time and never did any hiking, so the cot tent was an awesome way to overcome the normal ground-sleeping issues. It packs up HUGE, about 3'x 3' x 5" so hiking is out of the question, but it served me well. I still love to take it camping when I can drive right to the site.
    Now I've sold the Jeep and can't haul it around anymore, so I need a smaller option. So, I've registered here and I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible, and I'm trying to rush because Hennessy has some models on sale, but I'm also looking at the Clarks, and I'm not sure I can justify spending almost $300 on something I'll use only a handful of times a year. If they have a model I decide I want to buy, I need to do it lickety split!

You'll probably wonder what my username is. It's the result of my first email address being [email protected] (my other hobbies), then I switched ISPs and had to shorten it, so it became gtrsncks or something, and a friend asked me once "What is that...gutter snacks?" So I became guttersnacks from there on out. So, it's gutter snacks, but you can call me Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gtrsnax; 09-08-2009 at 10:00.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gtrsnax View Post
    So, I've registered here and I'm trying to soak up as much info as possible, and I'm trying to rush because Hennessy has some models on sale, but I'm also looking at the Clarks, and I'm not sure I can justify spending almost $300 on something I'll use only a handful of times a year. If they have a model I decide I want to buy, I need to do it lickety split!
    Take a deep breath and collect yourself.
    There are so many more options than just Hennessy or Clark; don't box yourself in right off the bat. Sales are plentiful, especially from Hennessy. How big are you (height and weight)? That will have a lot to do with your hammock selection. Best bet is to try a couple of the ones you are interested in before buying. Plenty of hangers in Virgina, hopefully one will invite you to come check out a set-up or three.

Besides, you're gonna end-up with more than one. It happens and there isn't much you can do about it.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you know you want a HH then sales are worth it. If not.. then they show up fairly regularly on the used market. I am a HH advocate but not to the exclusion of others. If you are a car camper you might want to consider something the Warbonnet Traveler and the add-on bug net. I hear good things about them but I think they would be heavier together than some other rigs.

Hennessy has that bottom entry which people have mixed reactions to. I love it because it solves some mobility issues I have. A lot of people hate it. There are some in between who tolerate it until the have the zipper mods done on the HH and never use it again except when it is really pouring rain and they can stay clear of the tarp.. or the bugs are thicker than fleas on a gorilla.

Don't rush the decision. Get to a group hang and see what's out there. There's one coming up in Nov in MD. You would have the chance to see just about every model around and some that are absolutely one of a kind.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

• + New Posts
  • Page 25 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast