Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images

What made you a "hanger"?

I have been noticing, especially on this forum but also on general hiking forums, there have been several new "hangers" popping up and introducing themselves. Out of sheer curiosity, I wanted to ask all of you fine new hangers exaclty how/when/why you first decided to give hammocks a try?
    Is it something you saw in a magazine ad? Is it something you saw on the trail? Or was it something your friends talk about?

I first started seriously considering hammocks after searching for DIY quilt instructions, when I came across Just Jeff's site. I soon realized that if I can sleep under a tarp on the ground, I can do it above the ground.
    the rest is history! (thanks, Jeff!)

so, how'd you learn the ways of the Ewok?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Great idea. I'll stick this thread for a few weeks and see what kind of responses the new members give.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Switch back 1.9
    Tarp
    Lawson HexaLite
    Insulation
    3-Season Incubator
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Last Christmas I bought a mosquito hammock on clearance from REI. Set it up for summer in back yard to relax. Having been an outdoors man, my whole life I thought this would be great for backpacking or camping in general. I thought if I could get a tarp for rain,wind ,and whatever elements would protect me. I spend way to much time on the internet looking at backpacking/camping gear. I just stumbled across this site. Just recently I actually joined the group. I also made my first purchase of a reel hammock the Warbonnet Black bird. If it wasn't for this group or hangers I would probably still be in a tent. Thanks guys, I setting up the blackbird tonight in the backyard. Should be in the low 30's.
    Russ
    "The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection."
    Thomas Paine

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Being a lifelong sailor, it occurred to me a few years ago that a hammock might work well in the woods. I thought it was a great idea... bought an Army Surplus hammock, and nearly froze on the first night out, at 50 degrees F!

Then I found this forum, and learned that there were many people way ahead of me.

It was amusing to learn that Mr. Hennessey started out with the same hammock as I did!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Images
    while i was searching for the lightest 1 person tent i could buy i landed on Jeff site and then decided to buy a hh i have been hanging here and in the woods since then ...

Hammock
    Claytor JH, Speer MS, Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Claytor, Speer cat
    Insulation
    3/8" Volara foam
    I wanted something that could pack fairly small and be quick to set up and take down. We will be using them with our kayaks, so space is more important than weight. Also, I never was comfortable tent camping, so I have decided to try hanging. Time will tell.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    I've always been searching for the smallest, lightest-weight tent/shelter when backpacking. (Most of the weight of a ground tent is the poles.)
    Plus....
    Tired of trying to find flat ground to pitch a tent,
    tired of clearing away rocks and sticks only to sleep on the hard, uneven ground,
    tired of having to carry a foam sleeping pad,
    tired of rain water seeping into the bottom of the tent due to poorly seam sealed floor, then having to wipe the muddy bottom of the tent before packing up ...

Then, I found the Hennessy Hammock website and the rest is history.
    Last edited by 2Trees; 01-11-2009 at 16:08.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    Big Agnes 2 track
    A friend of mine designs canoes for several builders and has always talked about how great hammock camping was over tents. He told me recently about a wilderness river trip he made a couple of years ago with six guys. He and another had hammocks and the rest tents. They did not luck out with weather as it rained all day and night just about every day. When they pulled ashore to camp, he would set up his tarp and the others would huddle under it with their gear and begin digging out their ground clothes, tents etc then brave the rain trying to find a suitable tent site with the shallowest standing water. In the mornings, they all congregated under his tarp for breakfast and while taking down the tent site while he stayed dry through the whole process. I have always hated breaking camp in the rain, then digging out the wet stuff again at night at the next stop. He has been bugging me to give it a try a few years. I stopped by another friends canoe shop last fall and a woman was picking up a new canoe and brought out a Hennessy for everyone to try. I was really impressed with the ease of using the snakeskin and the entry/exit.

I researched on line and decided between three brands. I called him for advice two weeks ago and he said come over and try mine out. He loaned me a Clark, Hennessy, and Byer to try out in the basement and outside (snow and 30 degrees). It was very comfortable and sold me on getting into the versatility of hammock camping. Love the idea of using it as a hanging chair, or kicking back in camp. Just retired last year and am looking forward to doing a lot more camping. Bought one for the wife, although she says it is too claustrophobic. I will miss camping with her.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.9DL
    Tarp
    10x12 TTTG CatCut
    Insulation
    PolarPod
    Suspension
    TTTG Ring Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Trees View Post
    I've always been searching for the smallest, lightest-weight tent/shelter when backpacking. (Most of the weight of a ground tent is the poles.)
    Plus....
    Tired of trying to find flat ground to pitch a tent,
    tired of clearing away rocks and sticks only to sleep on the hard, uneven ground,
    tired of having to carry a foam sleeping pad,
    tired of rain water seeping into the bottom of the tent due to poorly seam sealed floor, then having to wipe the muddy bottom of the tent before packing up ...

Then, I found the Hennessy Hammock website and the rest is history.
    What he said
    Beer won't solve problems, but then again, neither will milk !
    Designer of the Switchback Hammock
    Tree to Tree Trail Gear:http://tttrailgear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    How?
    Reading posts on WhiteBlaze telling about all the wonderfull nights sleep everyone who hung from the trees I wanted to try it for real instead of the net hammock I have. After putting it off for about 1 1/2 years I finally asked Hammock Engineer (aka: Coffee) to come over & let me give a try in his HH, after about 5 minutes I was hooked for life, the next week I bought a Bayer (cause it was cheepest). I will never go to ground again.

I now don't even sleep in a bed, ever. It's 100% hammock for me now.

Why do I hang?
    For me:

About 20% because it is weird (Yea, welcome to MY world).

39% because they are so comfortable.

40% because they are easier to get out of / up from than a tent.

1% because I missed my tarp after going to a tent a few years ago.
    Last edited by Doctari; 01-12-2009 at 00:07.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 258 1231151101 ... LastLast