Quilts combination recommendation for newby...

Hi

I just pulled the trigger for WB XLC 1.1 DL and a Superfly. I also bought most Dutchware items.

Now UQ and TQ newby questions!
    Scenario: summer time to start. Motorcycle and backpack.
    In 1 or 2 year, I expect some trekking/backpacking in South America or Loa (winter time, so still warm, 4 weeks+).
    I also want to try winter time (here in Canada)...

Questions:
    From what temperature do I need any quilt?
    Is pad that bad (if Phoenix for summer)? Which pad?
    Is 20* UQ too hot for summer?

I post this message in Hammock Gear, because I want to buy their stuff.
    So, any combination recommendation (budget 500-700$, to cover summer and winter)?
    I read about HG custom, any recommendation (ex: lighter material)?
    Sew or snap?
    Overstuffed?

Hammock
    All of them.
    Tarp
    OES 4 Season,Cuben
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    First, Hammock Gear quilts are awesome, so I'm sure that you will be happy with them.

Being from Montreal, I would recommend going with a 40* quilt set. That will definitely cover summer, and a bit into the fall. Unless you are a very warm sleeper, you could use a 20* underquilt, but for summer camping it's probably unnecessary.

Many people use pads. I prefer underquilts. It really boils down to personal preference. They both work well.

Lighter fabrics such as M50 will save you a bit of weight, but the cost is significantly higher. For example, 1.1 ripstop costs about $3 a yard, while M50 costs $12 a yard. Using M50 on a top quilt may make it about 3 ounces lighter. For motorcycle camping, saving a few ounces isn't needed, but the extra durability of the heavier fabric may be desirable.

Personally, I prefer the snap and drawstring closure on my summer (40*) weight quilts for versatility in warm weather and sewn foot boxes on cold weather quilts.

I hope that helps guide your decisions!

Peace,
    David

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I used m50 on my underquilt when I made it. Awesome fabric. Very thin, but pretty strong. It feels like a trash bag, but you can't tear it by hand (unless you grab an edge and rip...).
    I'd go with the normal HG fabric. Its pretty thin and light on its own. You dont want it ripping on thorn bushes or something.
    I would definitely go with a UQ and TQ "set", and NOT a sleeping bag and an underquilt. The sleeping bag will be bulkier and heavier since it sort of has the underquilt part (that you dont get to use...) built in.
    I went with 2oz overstuff in my UQ, just to keep the down in place. For my TQ I got the standard amount. I went with snaps so I can undo the whole thing and use it flat as a down blanket if I want.
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Read more here. Much more. You have not specified temps and nobody knows how risk-averse you are, or what back-up you'll have.

Most with some $ to spend start with 20F / -6C - rated quilts, as a good compromise, 3 season stuff that can be stretched what with global warming, and isn't too bulky to be pushed aside when temps remain hot. You'll find lots of opinion of full size vs partial UQs. I find the cost/benefit of the extra bulk of full size and full $ to be among the weaker ones.

I decided to go with Incubator 20 and Burrow 40 + 2 ounces. I think with that setup I'll be able to cover a bit more of spring and fall (especially with WB XLC that has winter cover). For summer, I will vent the underquilt or put it aside and move it under if I feel cold. I opted for the snap for versatility.

Since I'm a newby, I think it's a great start For my backpack trip in 2 year, if I really like this, I'll order Phoenix and Burrow (ultralight custom edition)...

Thank you all for your comments

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by B0b View Post
    I decided to go with Incubator 20 and Burrow 40 + 2 ounces. I think with that setup I'll be able to cover a bit more of spring and fall (especially with WB XLC that has winter cover). For summer, I will vent the underquilt or put it aside and move it under if I feel cold. I opted for the snap for versatility.

Since I'm a newby, I think it's a great start For my backpack trip in 2 year, if I really like this, I'll order Phoenix and Burrow (ultralight custom edition)...

Thank you all for your comments
    That's essentially what I have for Colorado weather (lows usually around freezing - or just below - in most of the three season camping I do). Works well. Then, if I ever need to get it down much below 20*, I can double up a light sleeping bag with my quilt and add a pad underneath to get another 10-20*.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts