DIY Bridge db layer 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY 12'
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    amsteel/tree strap
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadphans View Post
    I would be happy if I could get those stitches!
    Maybe start a thread (haha) of your own and post pictures and we'll help.

Mostly all it takes is a little bit of patience and a smidgeon of knowledge.

We've got lots of knowledge around here!!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    When the tension is right, the seam should feel smooth on both sides. If you're feeling bumps on one side, the tension needs to be adjusted.

Hammock
    DIY Dbl Layer 1.1 oz ACU
    Tarp
    WB, SF
    Insulation
    Jacks-r-Better
    Suspension
    Amsteel Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Detail Man View Post
    When the tension is right, the seam should feel smooth on both sides. If you're feeling bumps on one side, the tension needs to be adjusted.
    Correct you are Sir. I am a self-taught thread injector operator, and thread tension has been my nemesis. I have discovered there to be a lot of variables (thread/mat'l) that affect the amount of req'd tension.

I have been a injecting fool as of late outfitting my kit with gear-specific stuff sacks, and I have finally have gotten most the gremlins out of the mix.

I started keeping a journal to help me remember my settings, materials, and this has helped me immensely.

I still have a ways to go--but I am getting there.

"Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other." --Walter Elliot
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito." -- Dalai Lama XIV

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
    --Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    wbbb
    Tarp
    speer winter tarp
    Insulation
    Diy down u.q.&t.q.
    Suspension
    Web&cinch buckles
    Images
    i think it looks great, very uniform and even.

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Wow! Thank you all for you inputs! I didn't imagine this would even get to two pages.

Well I have tried to tighten both my bobbin and the needle tension, both to the tightest positions and I still get those bumps on the bottom.
    I've even loosened them both to find that it made it worse. Longer loops on the bottom .

Could it be the thread I'm using? I'm using Coats outdoor 100% polyester thread.

Maybe it is the needle? I'm using what I think to be an all purpose needle. Ramen, what needle(s) are you using for your injector?

Would having those bumps on the bottom in anyway compromise the integrity of the nylon and or stitch?
    Last edited by namnat; 01-22-2013 at 16:38.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by namnat View Post
    Well I have tried to tighten both my bobbin and the needle tension, both to the tightest positions and I still get those bumps on the bottom.
    I've even loosened them both to find that it made it worse. Longer loops on the bottom .
    When ever you are adjusting things on a sewing machine do 1 thing at a time. Never adjust the top tension_and_ the bobbin tension at the same time. If things go sideways you have no clue where the problem is or isn't. Long loops on the bottom is an indication the top tension needs to be tightened significantly.

Start by trying to get the bobbin tension close to factory specs. Use the "drop" method for that. Hold the bobbin thread and bounce the bobbin case _once_. If the bobbin falls ~4" you are close enough. If it falls and keeps on going across the floor you need to tighten it up. If it don't fall at all, loosen it. When making adjustments to the bobbin tensions use _tiny_ increments. When you have it about right, put the bobbin case back in the machine and forget it has a tension adjustment.

Now set the thread tension to roughly the middle of the range. Do a test. If you get long loops on the bottom, tighten the thread tension. If you get loops on the top loosen the tension. You should get things balanced out nicely with a little tweaking. If not... you may have a problem with the mechanics of the tension system.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Start by trying to get the bobbin tension close to factory specs. Use the "drop" method for that. Hold the bobbin thread and bounce the bobbin case _once_. If the bobbin falls ~4" you are close enough. If it falls and keeps on going across the floor you need to tighten it up. If it don't fall at all, loosen it. When making adjustments to the bobbin tensions use _tiny_ increments. When you have it about right, put the bobbin case back in the machine and forget it has a tension adjustment.
    Thanks Rambinrev. I have tried this before, but I will try it once more. My wife got this injector at a garage sale and have no idea if it was working properly for the original owner or not. They always say "It works great" just to get it out of their house. But again, I will try to set the bobbing to factory tension and see how that goes.
    "Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth." - Jules Verne

Hammock
    DIY HH Stretch Side
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12
    Insulation
    Moded Kelty 20*
    Suspension
    Cargo Chute Lines
    I have tried to use the Coats Outdoor 100% Poly Thread in all 3 of my Singers and they just don't like it because of the thread thickness ( it was hard to find the balance in the upper and lower tension ). I have since switched to Gutermann 100% Poly Sew-All Thread ( 1000 meter spool ) and haven't had a single problem.

Gutermann Sew-All : http://www.joann.com/gutermann-sew-a...yds-/prd13385/
    Dave aka WK2
    Cubmaster of Pack 640 - Smyna, TN
    Eagle Scout 1992 - Troop 86 Brentwood, TN
    Tread Lightly and Leave No Trace

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, Ridge Creek
    Suspension
    Varies
    Definitely worth trying WK2's advice. Especially if the Coats thread is a heavier thread than normally used for clothing.

If you get the Gutermanns sew all, use it to set the bobbin tension as advised in Rev's post 16 and start from there.

Out of curiosity, what size needle are you using?

Hammock
    DIY cinched end
    Tarp
    not sure yet
    Insulation
    So far thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Toggle
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Definitely worth trying WK2's advice. Especially if the Coats thread is a heavier thread than normally used for clothing.

If you get the Gutermanns sew all, use it to set the bobbin tension as advised in Rev's post 16 and start from there.

Out of curiosity, what size needle are you using?
    I am not sure on needle size. I've tried a size 9 that came with the injector but with the thread I have causes problems. It's a relatively big. It says something like Schwartz 100 or something like that. I'm not at home right now to look.

But I will be buying some gutermanns. I had a feeling it was the thread.