Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Clark NX-200

Outdoor Latrine Hammock?

Have you ever heard of a "latrine hammock" for use in the outdoors over a dug latrine hole to remove the need to squat to relieve oneself?

Basically this would be a tiny hammock/seat with a strategically positioned hole in the middle for doing one's business. It could serve the dual use as a quick seat to rest on while hiking.

Now of course I am a man so only need this for half of my bathroom needs however squatting over a latrine hole in the woods is a "pain in the ***" so to speak.

Regards,

CB

Hammock
    DIY Wbbb Clone
    Tarp
    12x10 Cat cut DIY
    Suspension
    Ring Buckles
    Images
    Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time. ~Steven Wright

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If the latrine is dug properly you should be able to straddle the trench and squat as over a cat hole. Not the answer to the question I know. But when the purpose of the trench is to move down the length with each subsequent deposit I would think having to relocate the hammock seat periodically could be a bit of a pain.

Now I saw a group of boy scouts dig a "latrine" that was a round hole three feet in diameter and about 8 inches deep in the center. A sling seat might have been handy for that monstrosity.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    I spent quite a while trying to develop a seat (not a toilet) but could never get it comfortable enough. I try not to spend enough time squatting to need a seat. Maybe you could modify your hammock so you wouldn't have to wander too far at night.
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    With a hole in the middle of the seat, it would be just my luck that the fabric would tear just after I finished and down I would go. :O

I try to follow T-Back's method and just try to not spend enough time that I would need a seat. Without some reading material, it works out fairly well! ;D
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    I've been often fortunate enough to be able to find a suitable sight with adequate materials (i.e. fallen branch,etc..) to be able to fashion a suitable, if not somewhat comfortable place to potty. So I haven't tried to make anything like what you're talking about.

But I suppose you could just use a hammock that's not spread out, sitting with the hammock ONLY under your thighes, BUT I REALLY wouldn't want to take a chance of soiling it and then having to sleep in it!! It would be comfortable enough, but like I said, you'd have to be way careful about your positioning.

One idea might be to fashion some sort of super easily cleanable or even disposable sleeve to protect the hammock if something did go wrong. I don't mind popping a squat if I must, so I'll let someone else worry with that.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    When I take groups on canoe trips, there is always at least one person who wants to dig a latrine. According to stuff I have read, a concentrate such as a latrine takes much longer to decompose and has much more impact than individual cat holes. Cat holes about six inches deep seem to be most effective. Obviously an adequate distance from water sources, etc.

I would discourage the use of a latrine, even if I could figure out a comfortable way to use it.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    My understanding is there is a point of diminishing returns with cat holes. Given a "large group" but I'm not sure what that means, a latrine is better because while it may take longer to decompose the environmental impact is less by area. So a battalion may be better off having a latrine where as a group of ten would be better spreading the wealth around.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I tried this last year before my thru; even got math counseling from Grizz. I tried several different designs, including trekking poles for spreader bars like the "Air Chairs" employ. Never came up with a comfy and practical design. However, I was very concerned about weight at the time. It's possible using different materials that you could get pretty comfy results, but I wouldn't want to carry it very far.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    dbl layer SBPro & GT Nano 7
    Tarp
    Funky Forest Tarp
    Insulation
    no sew SPE/ Sb Uq
    Suspension
    tree sling/huggers
    Images
    at camp I attended when I was younger alot younger, we used to go out for two night campouts toward the end of camp. I would dig a cathole then using what nature gave in form of wood I would lash together about 8 medium size logs to make a seat to avoid the sqatting. I actually received an award from one of my counselors for using what he had taught and putting it to good use. Remind you I was only about 10 or 11 years old when I did this, but it worked. When breaking camp I undid everything took lashing ropes back with us and was done with it.
    Chris

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast