Hammock
    DH RG 11' 1.6 Lefty
    Tarp
    HG, OES
    Insulation
    UQG,HG,WB
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Sounds like you could have used snowshoes on this trip. Cold, wet feet are the pits. I don't normally wear boots because they never dry out. Had this happen to me on a trip and have since changed to breathable shoes for most packing trips. I do like the hot water bottle idea to help dry them out.

Hammock
    Northwoods Hammock
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben wdoor
    Insulation
    Hammock gear incub
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutchw

Unofficial MI Spring Hike & Hang>MRT/NCT>3/8/13

Sounds like you guys need to invest in some gaitors, pretty indispensable in the winter. I hate some event ones from integral designs that are simple but do just what you need them to. My winter camps this winter often meant wet boots but I keep them near the fire til I went to bed so they were mostly just damp from walking they the snow to my hammock.

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Not sure what would have been the best solution, other than extra boots. The trail conditions were not really conducive to snowshoes, and the gaiters didn't seem to be of much help. I think the combination of wet deep snow, ambient temperatures just above freezing and the heat generated by the exertion of hiking through it, just combined for maximum wetness.

I was wearing the same boots I wore to the Michigan Fall Hang, which remained dry that entire weekend, despite three days of continuous rain and wet/flooded ground. However, this weekend they failed miserably...

Michael

Hammock
    Wbbb 1.1dbl.- Traveler multicam 1.9
    Tarp
    H.G. Cuben camo
    Insulation
    Phinc-burrow- H.R.
    Ok folks... Time for pictures?
    We would be one step closer to world peace, if everyone slept in a hammock..

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosman View Post
    Sounds like you guys need to invest in some gaitors, pretty indispensable in the winter. I hate some event ones from integral designs that are simple but do just what you need them to. My winter camps this winter often meant wet boots but I keep them near the fire til I went to bed so they were mostly just damp from walking they the snow to my hammock.
    I must second what vampire said. Snowshoes would not have helped aside from about maybe a mile or so on the trail. Gaiters, had them, the worked great! My pants never got a drop on them. Shoes...my waterproofs were not broken in, and my normal boots werent waterproofed. Lesson learned.
    We all kept our boots by the fire till we turned in, with very little benefit. I even put hand warmers inside my boots with a sock stuffed in top while I slept, and nothing.

After puting on frozen boots in the morning that I couldnt even tie up, I could read the writing on the wall...My boots were not going to dry out over the weekend and with rain forecasted for Sat night and Sun, I knew the trail conditions would deteriate to a skating rink as testified by the others. Rather than risk injury and a miserable night in the woods, I bailed. Yes I am a big P*##y! I go to the woods to enjoy myself, not be miserable. For 3 seasons I will endure a lot (rain, wind, sunburn, blisters, wet boots, horrible bugs, need I go on?) becasue that is where I want to be, in the winter why take the risk of injury or getting sick (which I did anyways)?

My advise is to know your gear and its limitations, know yourself and your limitations, discretion is the better part of valor. Yes, I walked off the trail. Yes, I took crap for it (which I dont mind from those who were there ). And yes, if put into that same situation again, I would walk off the trail again.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    WBBB single 1.7
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    webbing
    Sorry but I have to chime in. My -40 rated Sorels were bulletproof this weekend. Dry as a bone and great ankle support. Best $80 spent so far. Now granted, I was fortunate to hike a semi-broken trail (thanks Boudah) but these boots are the bomb.com.

Hammock
    Darien 11'
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UnderGround Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by easy_grounder View Post
    Sorry but I have to chime in. My -40 rated Sorels were bulletproof this weekend. Dry as a bone and great ankle support. Best $80 spent so far. Now granted, I was fortunate to hike a semi-broken trail (thanks Boudah) but these boots are the bomb.com.
    Had I known, what it would have been like, I would have brought my Keen snowshoe boots...alas another lesson learned.
    Its a proven fact that 78.4% of all statstics are made up on the spot.

Stone's Videos

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Gout View Post
    Ok folks... Time for pictures?
    YES!!! We demand pictures... Or I will start to think this was one big snip hunt...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB single 1.7
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    webbing
    All my pictures are up in a album under my name.

All the groups pics can be had by emailing Vince and getting the gmail shared account he so kindly set up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011