Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Reason~ View Post
    So if I got these http://www.harborfreight.com/set-of-...aps-67386.html at 2$ per setup I wouldn't need to use much amsteel, but how to attach?
    I have used these straps with no problems, but I did cut the buckle/cam lock off and use the loop at one end, and a Marlin spike Hitch......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    UGQ 0° UQ
    Suspension
    amsteel mishmash
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    The mule tape would probably be best/cheapest. To attach it to a tree, use the four wrap method, or Speer Knot. Took a little looking to find the instructions. Started at Just Jeff's site, that linked me to Risks site. Using this with the mule tape, a DIY tablecloth hammock, and your cost all be down. No hardware or toggles to mess with. You could make some hammock ridgelines whoopies with the amsteel, so the hammock lay will be the same each set up. Hope this helps.....RR
    I get it now. That knot looks pretty foolproof and good for the trees.
    ~ʎpuıɔ~
    If you teach a child to reason they'll think for a lifetime.
    2019 Great Pumpkin https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/154092-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-11-13-2019-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Considering the weight of the kids, the mule tape I get is 5/8" wide... not as wide as us adults use for tree straps, but these kids weigh half that of an adult...

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=22514

I've used it a LOT for hanging in my garage and back patio. . . I'm 220lbs... ish...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Harbor Freight straps

The Harbor Freight straps are not only cheap, they have performed better than some polyester straps for me. Sew a loop in one end and teach the girls the marlinspike hitch. Have the girls make their own whoopies, too. Twelve-year-olds are extremely capable when motivated. Designate a pair of test trees or a hammock stand and put a mattress on the ground. Get the tree to tree distance right or they won't be able to reach high enough to place their tree straps. Sounds like fun.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    WV is wise, the HF freight straps are better than mule tape, it all comes down to your budget.

John
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    The Harbor Freight straps are not only cheap, they have performed better than some polyester straps for me. Sew a loop in one end and teach the girls the marlinspike hitch. Have the girls make their own whoopies, too. Twelve-year-olds are extremely capable when motivated. Designate a pair of test trees or a hammock stand and put a mattress on the ground. Get the tree to tree distance right or they won't be able to reach high enough to place their tree straps. Sounds like fun.
    A bit of motivation that might be fun also is to have them make the first set of whoopies and straps to be tested by you. They should be done in about 2 minutes. That way they know it will be safe for them as well.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I would recommend the 60x126 tablecloth hammocks ($12.99) , and let the girls make their own whoopies (probably less than $1 per whoopie with your supply). Your 500 ft. aren't going to go very far though, and you have no room for error. If you make 6 ft. whoopies for each hammock, then it will take 480 ft. of Amsteel to do that for 20 hammocks.

As for straps, I would probably stay away from having the girls sew loops with a machine - that sounds kind of tough for the girls to master, time consuming and quite possibly dangerous. I'd go with strapworks.com (unless an adult is sewing the loops). I think my 8 ft. straps from strapworks were around $3.75 each with 2 inch sewn loops, but you could probably go shorter and cheaper with 6 or even 4 ft. straps.

The only knots they would have to learn is the Marlin spike hitch.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 01-22-2013 at 22:40.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I would recommend the 60x126 tablecloth hammocks ($12.99) , and let the girls make their own whoopies (probably less than $1 per whoopie with your supply). Your 500 ft. aren't going to go very far though, and you have no room for error. If you make 6 ft. whoopies for each hammock, then it will take 480 ft. of Amsteel to do that for 20 hammocks.

As for straps, I would probably stay away from having the girls sew loops with a machine - that sounds kind of tough for the girls to master, time consuming and quite possibly dangerous. I'd go with strapworks.com (unless an adult is sewing the loops). I think my 8 ft. straps from strapworks were around $3.75 each with 2 inch sewn loops, but you could probably go shorter and cheaper with 6 or even 4 ft. straps.

The only knots they would have to learn is the Marlin spike hitch.
    Good suggestions and most will probably also go with the 126 since the girls can grow into them. Another suggestion I'll make to shorten how much Amsteel you'll use the UCR method. Sgt Rock has a great video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Ch-bqE7OQZw
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    And if you do let them make whoopies, the girls could personalize them with their own personal stopper beads for the adjustable loop.

I made some stopper beads from dice (or die):

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    those straps are not that strong. i thought they would be great just have in truck, but buckles broke and straps frayed. just saying.
    Cut off the buckles and melt the ends with a lighter. I weigh close to 300 lbs and use these straps, so I'm pretty sure they'll hold a little girl just fine. They work great.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast