Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Images
    Steve, yea I recall your full length top cover, it's badass. It's also pretty advanced lol! I've got some hours logged at the sewing machine and I'd even shy from that.
    I was just going on what you said about how this could be made so easily as an 'indoor' full length cover.
    Anyway, the pic you posted on just covering the torso is what I had envisioned when you first described. I think draping over the ridgeline like Nest suggested might save a little weight vs. the velcro. Or perhaps using those bra clips.
    This could be taken a step further for those who like pads. Take what you've got and continue all the way around so it has a bottom. That bottom could be a pad sleeve. This could also be done with a full length indoor cover and would eliminate the need for a double bottom. Not sure how that would feel though.....but I'd bet it would use less material than a double bottom. It definitely would if you just did the torso 'cocoon.'
    Anyway, I like where this is going.....nice work!
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB XLC 1.7, Traveler S1.7
    Tarp
    Cuben DIY
    Insulation
    Hammockgear
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I have something put together. As soon as I can hang my BB I will send a picture. It is similar to this:
    Now this is what I'm talking about!!
    You could hang this INSIDE an attached bug net and allow it to drape (rolling over might cause issues if had tucked it under).
    Maybe, clip it to the bug net ( hammock body if no net)...

Shouldn't weight more than a couple oz max! very, very interesting
    "Every day is a new day to a better future"
    "Of all the things that matter, that really and truly matter, working more efficiently and getting more done is not among them." ~ Mike Dooley
    "What if I told you that you couldn't have anymore of anything... No more friends, no more money, no more anything, until you first got happy with what you have?"~ Mike Dooley
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." ~ Socrates

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nest View Post
    That's exactly what I did. I would zip up my down jacket and use it as a foot box. That let me make my top blanket a little bit shorter and without a footbox to save weight and cost. My top blanket is plenty long, but when it's really cold it's nice to be able to tuck it in real good. I would also put my fleece jacket under my upper body for extra warmth. So all I really need is that topside heat. Guess I got a new project to work on.
    Can't say it was on purpose. I made my quilt a little short on accident. It is funny how when you are cold you find a way to warm up. Usually involving using or wearing everything you have with you. Late in my hike sectioners or weekenders were surprised at how little was left in my pack when I climbed into my bag (in the shelter of course ) and hung my foodbag.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

more pics

I just placed the pictures of my finished MiniSock on the first post. It has Omni on three sides. I close only the side above my head. I may put a few patches of Omni inside the hammock to stick it to, but it doesn't really need it. Tuck it behind your shoulders like you would your quilt and it does not hang in your face. I just took a hot knife and traced a coffee cup between the Omni suspension strips for even more ventilation. It is made from 1.1 uncoated ripstop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mule; 01-12-2009 at 13:39. Reason: add pics
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Interesting concept. As always, thanks for pics. I'm a visual learner so always like them pics! When do you think you will test it?

Images
    Steve, did you ever test this? Take a temp inside your head sock and outside?
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    just a little bump

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by schrochem View Post
    No, I haven't tested it yet. I will this weekend at Mount Rogers, but I will have to pick up a thermometer somewhere. I am most concerned that I don't put a lot of moisture in my quilts. This way there will only be warmth around the outside of the quilt near my face. Mule

Images
    The few times I was really low I had a lot of problems with condensation. More of frost at those temps. I think it has to do with the extremely low dew points and the difference from that to the temp of your breath.

I think this would actually help with this. It could keep it more localized instead of over all of your quilts. Them again it will be more concentrated.

Funny side note. Everyone is talking about cold weather setups and I am thinking of supper warm summer temps and how to get ready for them. Trying to get ahead this year as oposed to the usual catch up.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    The few times I was really low I had a lot of problems with condensation. More of frost at those temps. I think it has to do with the extremely low dew points and the difference from that to the temp of your breath.

I think this would actually help with this. It could keep it more localized instead of over all of your quilts. Them again it will be more concentrated.

Funny side note. Everyone is talking about cold weather setups and I am thinking of supper warm summer temps and how to get ready for them. Trying to get ahead this year as oposed to the usual catch up.
    All that is true, but I made my mini weather cover to be like a chimney. There are holes on top where it hangs from the ridgeline. The warmth should continue to lift the moisture up and out of the cover. I can also prop it open around the bottom too, and I have a draw cord, bungee, on each side to gather it up to decrease the area inside. Mule

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast