Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

SMALLER LIGHTER SOCK, Your comments?

Please share your comments and advice.
    I have been making and remaking socks for my bridges and BB, but after communicating with the Jacks about condensation I got this week at Browning Hill, I am re thinking the need for an under sock if you have a good tarp. Pan says you don't really need an under sock in most cases. Since I have a great and protective shelter in the Warbonnet SuperFly with doors, I agree.
    You will see in the pictures the last one I made that included a foot box protrusion for the BlackBird, but I HAVE ANOTHER IDEA.
    Condensation, see photo, happened all over the bottom of my quilt and was froze to the JRB Weather Shield.
    Since I like the warm air I feel with the over cover and had no condensation with the OVER cover (with the vents open) I do still need a warm space over my head if possible.
    WHAT IF IT WAS ONLY OVER MY HEAD? I am working on a BlackBird and Bridge over cover that hangs from a ridgeline and just drapes over my over quilt at about waste level, instead of covering the entire top of the hammock. It would be so simple that a 4 x 4 foot rectangular piece of DWR with a vent in the top would suffice. Add a way, (velcro) to tack it out on the sides to the edge of the hammock to keep it off your face and you have a space that is draft free and weighs almost nothing.
    Below are the photos of my latest BIG underquilt with the footbox protrusion and the frozen moisture on my undercover. I could have madde it and taken pictures of it and then asked your advice, but maybe this way I will be able to make it better with your input. Thanks, Mule

FLASH! I just placed the pictures of my finished MiniSock on the first post. It has Omni on three sides. I close only the side above my head. I may put a few patches of Omni inside the hammock to stick it to, but it doesn't really need it. Tuck it behind your shoulders like you would your quilt and it does not hang in your face. I just took a hot knife and traced a coffee cup between the Omni suspension strips for even more ventilation. It is made from 1.1 uncoated ripstop.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Mule; 01-12-2009 at 13:07. Reason: More photos of finished Sock
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Images
    I remember talking to Pan at the Rogers Hangout last year. I agree with what he is saying. The right tarp will block all the wind and airflow you need. I played around with hanging my rain jacket over the ridgeline over my head. It does a great job of trapping in the heat. Condensation can be an issue.

Given the tarp size and end covers are correct to stop the wind, I think heating the air you are breathing in is the biggest benifit to the hammock sock.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    nice thoughts fellas. Steve, why not just use a little more fabric and go the length of the ridgeline? And have it drape down like a tent...
    I like the idea of an 'indoor' weathershield. I think you could just sew the head end so you could slip it under you head/pillow and leave a little hole up at the ridgeline for a vent. I suppose you could make a 'cusp' on the foot end also.
    Cool idea! You have made quite a few weathershields...
    Scott

"Man is a stream whose source is hidden."
    RWE

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

lenght of ridgeline

Thanks Coffee and Scott. Scott, I could make it the length of the ridgeline but I already have one of those. The less I have covered up with a blanket of heat the less condensation I should have too. That's why I am thinking about one that covers a minimum of my top quilt. I even thought about suspending a small weather shield so that my whole top quilt could breath but I think that might be hard to do and still be comfortable. Here is a picture of my top cover:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=6556.

I really appreciate your comments. There are a few ways to do this right and many ways to do it wrong. I am thinking about something so simple that anyone could whip one up with only a pair of sizzers, or a heated knife almost. Mule

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images

I'll have one ready to photograph soon

I have something put together. As soon as I can hang my BB I will send a picture. It is similar to this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skskinner View Post
    I have something put together. As soon as I can hang my BB I will send a picture. It is similar to this:
    Nice pic. That was what I was referring to. For me I think the weight of a full length sock would be better put towards a larger tarp or a thicker quilt.

I now live where 40's is freezing. Back when I lived in the frigid north of Ohio, I did a simple test one night. I measured the temp inside the hammock sock. I noticed a huge temp increase over my face. However at my feet the temp seemed only slightly higher than outside the sock.

Images
    Ok, now this has me interested. My bug net is just a net that drapes over my ridgeline and tucks in between my hammock and underquilt. Do yall think that if I made a DWR sheet the same size with a vent at top and tucked it in I would have the same benefits as a sock with less weight? This would be an awesome way to shave a few oz. off my winter weight for this year's thru.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Coffee and Nest, Thanks for the comments. I do think that it would work fine to drape it over the ridgeline. I made one tonight that I will be photographing tomorrow. It would be nice to get by with a couple of ounces.
    That is interesting, Coffee, very. That's the information I know was out there. Mule

Images
    I see I am not the only one not sleeping tonight.

I'm interested to see some picks and your take after some testing. I tend to wrap my feet in my down jacket to add some warmth to that end. If not it is over my head and my rain jacket is over my feet. I always seemed to need a little extra on the ends even with a sock.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    I see I am not the only one not sleeping tonight.

I'm interested to see some picks and your take after some testing. I tend to wrap my feet in my down jacket to add some warmth to that end. If not it is over my head and my rain jacket is over my feet. I always seemed to need a little extra on the ends even with a sock.
    That's exactly what I did. I would zip up my down jacket and use it as a foot box. That let me make my top blanket a little bit shorter and without a footbox to save weight and cost. My top blanket is plenty long, but when it's really cold it's nice to be able to tuck it in real good. I would also put my fleece jacket under my upper body for extra warmth. So all I really need is that topside heat. Guess I got a new project to work on.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast