Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    My army issued one
    Insulation
    good sleeping bag

Cool Did I use the wrong hitch??

I have been searching the net for a quick and easy hitch for my Hennessy. I found references to the Garda Hitch. I have just come inside from trying it using 2 small (2 inch) carabiners. It looked good until I climbed in and then the line failed. I now know the inside of the HH line is white!! Did I use the wrong hitch? Now I have only 2 feet of line on one end of my HH. It would be too expensive (from Australia) to return the HH for replacing the line. I am thinking of tying off what is left with a small carabiner and then making extended huggers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Images
    For what it's worth, you are now halfway to having a ring buckle or cinch buckle setup.

Don't really know all the clicky linky stuff, but if you did a search for ring buckles look at the thread that has the most posts and views that comes up in the search.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    It would be very easy to attach ring buckles to the stock line in any number of ways. You'll find the ring buckles will serve you better anyway. Cinch buckles would require a switch to all webbing which I have not done but there are plenty of people on here who have.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Since you are in Australia, the two buckles may not be available for a reasonable cost. Another option requires webbing and two carabiners. Tie what's left of the hennessey line to a carabiner on each side. Then get enough webbing for each side to go to a tree, something like 12 feet. Sew a loop in the end of the webbing to wrap it around the tree and through the loop. Then you have 12 feet of webbing strapped to each tree. Take the webbing and wrap it through the carabiner twice, then tie a slippery half hitch. Any ring or something can replace the biner, it's just something you can probably get very easily. I've used this a lot, and two people I hiked with last year used it on part of their thru hike. The hennessey doesn't have to be set up super tight, so being able to tie the knot while pulling it tight isn't an issue. Just another option if nothing else works. Hope it made sense.
    "Oh, like an Afghan Warlord"

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    OES 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB Mt.Washington4
    Suspension
    Whoopie/UCR
    Sounds to me like you just pulled the line way to tight. You can do that with any hitch/knot. You don't change anything by how tightly you pull the supports on a hammock that has a structural ridgeline. Just for fun, you could hang the supports loosely, but high on the tree and you'd see that the hammock still has the same shape. That's what the ridgeline does. You'd be better off to attach the supports a little higher and let the hammock drop a little when weighted rather than pulling the line too tight trying to keep it from dropping.

To answer your question... You're error was not that you used the wrong hitch. You probably even tied the hitch correctly, but the cranked it way tight and then added your weight on top of that.

Hammock
    Hennessy Ultralight Backpacker
    Tarp
    My army issued one
    Insulation
    good sleeping bag

Smile My mistake

Thanks for the support from you guys. It is true I did try to pull the line tight so my butt was off the ground. In the military I have always used the HH hung between two vehicles and I can set the spacing or hung it lenght wise off the side of our truck. I was experimenting with trees and had the lines at about chest height and did pull the lines tight. I think I'll put a small carabiner on what is left of the line and make some huggers with some tubular webbing I have and put 2 D rings on it, that way I'll tension it from the other direction. I suspect the solution is not tension but suspension height. Again thanks for the support from this forum.

sniperbait
    Royal Australian Artillery

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    When I cut mine before attaching rings, I found that I wanted 10" between the hammock end and the rings, and that, using Omega Pacific rings, it takes ten inches to make a clove hitch topped with a half hitch, leaving a bit of end to seize to the standing part. Sounds like you have about the right length of line left!
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts