Hammock
    Hennessy ULB-A
    Tarp
    OES/McCat Std
    Insulation
    JRB UQ
    Suspension
    Stock with biners
    Coldest i've ever hung was 27F in Louisiana. This was done as an experiment to see what my rig could do. I was using a JRB original underquilt (rated to 35) and weathershield with a foam pad inside, and a 35F WM down bag. i wore long johns and a hat, and did fine. not cozy, but warm enough to sleep and wake up from the cold.

coldest i've ever slept out on the ground was in Jan 1992, at Fort Drum, NY. It was close to -40 at night for a couple weeks, -20 during the days... this, in an inadequate bag inside another inadequate bag, on top of 2 foam pads. it sucked massively.

Hammock
    Wbrr
    Tarp
    Noahs 12
    Insulation
    New river uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Coldest hang

Went for the first time in a hammock this past weekend with some other forum members. First night ever in a hammock was 24 degrees and second night was 10. Brrrrrrrrr was not expecting first time out to be this cold but I did have a really good time with my fellow members. Have some work to do but should only get better from here.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Asym Zip
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ hooks

Coldest Hang Record

I'm still a noob so 22F is my low from a couple weekends ago.

Hammock
    Tenth Wonder Bivi Hornet XL
    Tarp
    DD XL 4,5x3 Coyote
    Insulation
    DD Snugpak UB
    Suspension
    Whoopies + huggers
    23F so far, no wind. It seldom gets much colder than 5 degrees here on the island. But that is a wet cold as the humidity is fairly high, so I can guarantee that you will feel it.

But if I want to torture myself I can go to the interior of the mainland and do -20F to -30 and colder. I just don't have the urge, or the underquilt to do it :-)

Coldest on the ground was -40F on Mount Rustadhøgda in Bardufoss, Norway while I was in the army. But that was in a a button tent with and Optimus 111 burning. It was blowing gale force wind with storm force in the blast....but we had a proper snow wall and wind plow, so the tent was mostly out of the wind.
    Last edited by Rune; 03-08-2013 at 03:23.

Hammock
    Superior Hammock
    Tarp
    Superior Shelter
    Insulation
    Integrated Down
    Suspension
    Superior Buckle
    Images
    -38F. Last Winter during the polar vortext I did two nights at -30F and -38F near Cross Lake, Minnesota, using my Superior Gear Winter Integrated Hammock. And 2 top quilts and a wool blanket draped over my ridgeline. I was super toasty in the hammock, but man was it crazy cold getting in and out!

Sky-Blue-Shelter-e1521226075971 (1).jpg

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Good old tread!

-16°F is my record. I woke up around 8am and it was still only -14°. That's well within what I call the "different kind of cold". Runny stuff in your nose freezes with every breath, frost forms on jacket around neck after a few breaths, fingers painfully cold.

The Acurite is rated for -4° but it did well here. But the battery light came on and I put in a fresh cell since. Official low in town was -13° so I trust it. I have a -40° rated unit now to play it safe.

Hammock
    WalhallaCustom11'
    Tarp
    Walhalla Winter
    Insulation
    LL0°,CRO20°
    Suspension
    CL's/Buckles/Etc
    -1F is my lowest so far. Our winter hang last weekend was 35F lowest temp!! GAH!!! So much for winter...
    www.wildcherrywoodworks.com (my business)
    www.mainechopstick.com (my other business)
    www.4alloutdoors.org (a friend's site I do reviews for)
    www.curlymaplechronicles.blogspot.com (my personal blog)

Images
    -16°F for me as well, which coincidentally was the same night as OneClick's -16°F, if memory serves.
    This was with a 0° TQ and wearing an Outdoor Research down sweater over my baselayers, sleeping with balaclava and BlackRock down beanie, possum down gloves, and a Thermarest pad under my feet. Winter cover zipped on the hammock. UQ was my -20° Carolina Reaper with a 2QZQ UQP. There were gaps between the UQ and hammock under my legs and I got quite cold between my thighs and calves. Eliminating those gaps is something I've not yet been able to master with that extremely heavy UQ, though I've gotten closer.

The following week, the local temps got down to about -24°F, but I chickened out and didn't attempt.

Hammock
    WBRR,HENESSEY JUNGLE, ENO 1 link
    Tarp
    ENO PRO, SLD WH
    Insulation
    Igniter and blaze
    Suspension
    Buckles,atlas,ring
    7 degrees in a Warbonnet RR w/ spindrift in Lancaster, SC. Had a zero degree underquilt and MMSS, was so hot that I was almost nekid by morning. I discovered the hard way that it is almost as bad to be too warm. Had a 12 degree night on in the MMSS on a mylar sheet. Had a coon come up to my face in the middle of the night.

Hammock
    Robic XL 1.1oz 11'
    Tarp
    RSBTR PU4000 tarps
    Insulation
    UGQ 0* 20* 40* set
    Suspension
    Multi buckle web
    Bottomed out at -34c/-30f last couple of nights and that may end the deep cold for this season.... be around 0f tonight it's looking like = balmy
    Life is too Short to not feed the addiction....Hang on and explore the World

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast