Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hammock for a 6ft 8" Australian Ectomorph

Hi all! I've recently been put on to the benefits of hammock camping and would like to try it myself. I love MTB and plan to do some long distance adventures. This year I'll be training up to ride New Zealand end to end, both islands.

As my title suggests, I am inappropriately tall for most things in this world, including most lightweight one person tents and hammocks.

So far the hammock that sounds like it might suit my requirements and dimensions best is the Clark NX-250 Jungle Hammock

http://www.junglehammock.com/store/p...&cat=12&page=1

I was surprised at the weight of most of the Clark hammocks, being that they are basically comparable in weight to most 1 person hiking tents in similar price ranges. The explanation for this seems to be that they are considered much more comfortable than most other hammocks. I gather that their considerable cost compared to other hammocks is also explained by this, as well as superior quality materials? I should hope so!

At this stage I am open to suggestions of all kinds of what would suit my needs. I live in the sub tropics in Noosa, Australia so most of my camping will be done in fairly hot temps, but I wish to do a lot of overseas travel with my setup and would like the hammock to be able to keep me warm when needed also. Cold climates but unlikely to use it in snow.

Hopefully that didn't come across as too vague a description to negate helpful info.

Lastly I'll say that though I'm not a wealthy guy, I do believe strongly in buying once, buying right, and will not shy away from paying a premium for the right setup if it is justified by well thought out quality.

Thanks! Sure to be lots more questions as time goes by.

Michael

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL UQ
    Michael,
    I would suggest talking directly to some of our vendors. While I'm sure there are several that will work with you, I believe Wilderness Logics would be a great starting point. Their standard "Night Owl' model is 132" L so increasing the length shouldn't be too hard.

Hammock
    Dangerbird 11' x 72"
    Hi Michael!

at 6'7" I fully understand where you are coming from. I will be buying my first hammock on Friday and after much research I have decided on the fully customizable Dangerbird from www.dream-hammock.com

You can specify length and width for a truly comfortable fit for guys like us. Check them out!

Whatever you choose, I hope you find hanging to be a great experience!
    Last edited by prismatic81; 01-24-2013 at 02:46.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    I am 6' 5" and about 180# (about 82 kg) and I find the Clark NX-250 to be very comfortable with plenty of room left over at the foot end. And the hoops hold out the sides so that I can comfortably curl up on my side as well.
    As for weight - consider that the Clark weight includes the storm sheild and the underneath pockets which will probably eliminate the need for any additional insulation (translated - extra weight) on most of your trips.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly Guy!
    Insulation
    Pad/UQ Depending
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Ti's
    I'm 6' 6" and sporting a UKhammocks in the picture. Mat (owner) can do anything you want as its tailor fitted/custom made
    with every hammock, if you wished to add/change anything. Just another option for you

Thanks for the welcome and responses thus far guys - some good food for thought! Nice to hear from some other tall fellas too.

My next Q probably gets asked a lot, but I couldn't find an answer from initial searching - Can you sleep comfortably in a hammock if you sleep on your stomach? I've never slept on my back and find it very uncomfortable, bad for my back and bad for my breathing if I do. Thinking about the physics of how a hammock hangs, I don't see how I could sleep comfortably on my stomach given the curvature of the hammock? Does it straighten out when you lie stretched out in it?

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post

My next Q probably gets asked a lot, but I couldn't find an answer from initial searching - Can you sleep comfortably in a hammock if you sleep on your stomach? I've never slept on my back and find it very uncomfortable, bad for my back and bad for my breathing if I do.
    while i have never tried sleeping on my stomach in a hammock i too have problems sleeping flat out on my back, such as a bed, to the point where i can't do it however i find that in a hammock it's as if i'm floating on a cloud, very comfortable. that being said i have heard of a few people who can / have slept on their stomachs in a gathered end. another option to consider is a bridge hammock as opposed to a gathered end hammock.

~cinnamon

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    safari: here are a few threads about stomach sleeping in a hammock. many more can be found with a google search of the following - stomach sleeping site:hammockforums.net-
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=30657
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4402
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=52236

~cinnamon

Thank you cinnamon! I shall have a read.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by safari View Post
    .... I do believe strongly in buying once,.....

One hammock???

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast