Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    I have to admit the same. I have forgotten to "milk" the bury (before I got into the habit), and had no noticeable slippage.

I also agree with those mentioning that lines designed to absorb shock are very different from those designed not to stretch. Two different applications, two different safety features.

There's a reason mountain climbing rope stretches and caving rope does not. You don't want to use one for the other (wrong) purpose. It could kill you.

When human life and limb are at risk, it's wise to know a bit about ropes and to use them properly. Lots of good information about just that here in HammockForums!

Rain Man
    ex-caver

I had almost rather risk some slippage and have to say I need to readjust my prusik than to have to say I need to milk my bury , with that being said I am ordering some amsteel blu in a couple sizes to see what I can make work.

At the moment my girlfriend and I are planning on double stacking our hammocks while backpacking to use one tarp so I really don't want either of our suspensions to break , that would suck.

I do appreciate the info and do need to learn more about rope types and their uses for hammock camping and weight loads , we had a bunch of paracord and poly rope around already is the only reason we even tried it on test runs.

We also have walmart hammocks so the rope may be the least of our worries lol.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeZe View Post
    I had almost rather risk some slippage and have to say I need to readjust my prusik than to have to say I need to milk my bury
    Not a problem...I find it works just as well if I say nothing at all.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Try a klemheist knot. In my experience it is easier to tie and holds better than the prusik

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Try a klemheist knot. In my experience it is easier to tie and holds better than the prusik
    +1 on the Klemheist, it seems to have more holding power and is easier to tie

Hammock
    WB Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream 13
    Insulation
    Cheap Mummy/ Pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    Images
    Para chord streches to
    Bacon and Camping makes me happy.

"When life gives you lemons throw them back"
    Me

I camp in bear country and I am a bear Burrito.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by CheeZe View Post
    At the moment my girlfriend and I are planning on double stacking our hammocks while backpacking to use one tarp so I really don't want either of our suspensions to break , that would suck.
    I'm looking into doing the same, but to be honest I'm more than confident in 7/64th Amsteel. Make sure to keep approximately 30* of hang angle (hangle ) and you're fine.

At first my thought was to have her hammock on top, so if for whatever reason she were to fall I'd stop her (that's how confident I am in Amsteel) but then I realized she won't be able to get in a hammock that high up. I think I'll just do a demonstration for her and swing around in the hammock for a while until she's as confident as I am.

Edit: Or hang hers above you, with para cord... By the morning she'll be in your lap.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Quote Originally Posted by OldRagFreeze View Post
    I'm looking into doing the same, but to be honest I'm more than confident in 7/64th Amsteel. sure to keep approximately 30* of hang angle (hangle ) and you're fine.

At first my thought was to have her hammock on top, so if for whatever reason she were to fall I'd stop her (that's how confident I am in Amsteel) but then I realized she won't be able to get in a hammock that high up. I think I'll just do a demonstration for her and swing around in the hammock for a while until she's as confident as I am.

Edit: Or hang hers above you, with para cord... By the morning she'll be in your lap.

I was already thinking about hanging her above me incase she did fall or something like that. I asked her about it and she told me " oh hell no I wanted to be on the bottom" then she looked at me and thought about it for a second and decided she had rather be on top lol. I was like good call baby. she is long and lean 140lb and im 5'11 250lb, I would pyle drive her into the ground if my hammock let loose.

I am getting both of us setup with amsteel so we dont have any bad situations in the middle of the night hopefully.

I am hoping if I play my cards right and keep her warm, comfy and fed well I wont need paracord to get her in my lap. Fingers crossed! lol

Hammock
    BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    UGQ Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Webbn w/Whoopies
    What about Paracord as a Ridge line???

is that doable?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Athens-m50 View Post

is that doable?
    To answer that, you would need to establish the intended purpose of your ridge line(RL). If you want to put it on your hammy, you would need to prestretch the Paracord to its fullest and ensure it doesn't rebound. That way your hammy will be dialed in and have the proper length RL and sag intended for the hammock. Or, you can make an adjustable RL from your Paracord and keep fiddling with it until desired result is achieved. That's why most use zing-it, lash-it or other non stretchy type lines.
    If you want a RL for a tarp, see previous posts above that give info on stretching.

Good luck in your quest.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Quote Originally Posted by Athens-m50 View Post

is that doable?
    I would not use paracord for the main ridge line for a tarp. I tried to span about 15 feet and could not get near enough tension on it the way I had it rigged around the tree and if you did get it tensioned it would have really been rough on the paracord. Also it would tear the tree up pretty bad if you were somewhere that it mattered.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast