help out the noob!

Hey guys just getting into hanging. I bought the yukon double from woot awhile back. I currently am hanging in my house but I just made my poncho underquilt. I feel like the yukon hammock is to big and theres a bunch of extra material. Would I be better off with a eno? Im only 5'6. Im planning on trying out a hang overnight to get ready for a trip to Hawaii. Any other tips on straps? For a beginner would you recommend slap straps or some of the other diy options like the tow straps from harbor frieght?

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I like ENO hammocks, but there are lots of other options for around the same price point or under that you won't have to make any modifications too. As far as straps I always go with cheap polyester cargo straps from Walmart.

Edit: Here are some other options to look at, but these are nowhere close to all the options.

http://www.buttinasling.com/hammocks.html
    Warbonnet Outdoors Traveler Single Layer 1.1oz
    http://wildernesslogics.com/Snipe-Snipe.htm
    http://store.grandtrunkgoods.com/ham...ravel-hammock1
    Last edited by dangerous; 01-23-2013 at 22:17.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Insulation
    DIY Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    i personally like the ENO DN its just about the right size for a good nights sleep (to me) and for straps i went the whoppie way, and got some "tie downs" from lowes hardware for 10 bucks, they are 6' long 1"wide straps, with a weight bearing of 2200 lbs. took the buckles off of it and works great! plus now i have those buckles if i need them for something else

Those are defiantly some options. Since im a smaller guy should I go for a single? I feel like I can get pretty flat in the double, but I feel like I am swimming in it.

Hammock
    DIY Dangerous Bird
    Tarp
    DIY Rooftop
    Insulation
    DIY Apex/Argon
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    You only need the double layer if you are pushing the weight limit of a single layer or if you plan on using pads. The double layer helps keep the pad in place while you sleep. The double layer also seems to help stop mosquitoes from biting you from underneath.
    -Jon-

Hammock
    Eno Dn, Sn, DIY "Ahote"
    Tarp
    DIY soon
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie and straps
    I have both the ENO single nest and the double nest and I tend to like the extra fabric of the double. IMO it keeps my pillow from falling overboard and I dont feel so constricted. For local hikes and afternoon walks I throw the single nest in my bag. I know there are some who dislike the extra fabric but I find it worth while.
    Enjoy life's journey, but leave no tracks...

Mahna Mahna...

"The more we hang, the more we have to leave in the end" -Gresh

Well I feel like a jackwagon. So im guessing double/single is the thickness of the hammock? Are they generally the same size? In the yukon I can pretty much rap myself in a cocoon with a bunch of extra fabric. I need to read the stickies. Lol

The double refers to the width in your case. Theoretically the hammock is capable of supporting two people. I have the ENO double nest myself and used to get bothered by the extra fabric as well. But now I go to a more diagonal lay and the extra fabric isn't a problem. The only other problem is on a hot night, its harder to catch any breeze.

There is talk in another thread about a "Knotty Mod" were you add a section of shock cord to make a foot box and by the head when diagonal. This helps manage the excess fabric as well. I plan to give it a try after I finish my JCP puffer jacket UQs.
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    Wider is usually better... And your double refers to width not double layer... Double layer would mean that there would be two pieces of fabric the same size making up the hammock like two pieces of bread making an empty sandwich...

Your double refers to extra wide which usually let's you lay more at a diagonal and therefor flatter across the arch... The knotty mod is a good place to go... But there is nothing wrong with having the extra fabric... I didn't like it in my face, but a wider than average camp pillow solved that by pushing the pillow off to the side thereby holding the fabric off me... But to each his own...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

I do the camp pillow trick as well. Also I've been known to sleep with a ball cap on (warmer weather). The bill of the cap keeps excess fabric off face.

The extra fabric can also benefit by being able to put a small weight in the bag attached the side of the hammock and flipping it over you. This totally encases you keeping bugs away if you have forgotten your bug net
    Life is Good!
    Hammocks * Scouts * Kites
    用心棒

• + New Posts