GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH

Sleeping Bag Conversion Idea

OK so I was doing some thinking, in my favorite spot to do my thinking; the ski lift, last night and an idea came to me. It could be terrible for some reason I haven't thought of, but that's why I have you guys!

What if I were to split the back of my mummy bag right down the middle all the way to the footbox, and sew a rectange of fabric (maybe just ripstop?) in between the two sides of the split that matches the width of my CCF pad? I could even sew a double layer there to make a pocket for the CCF pad. Of course I'd probably want to get rid of the zipper on the front and just sew that shut.

It seems to me that this would be the best of both worlds between a sleeping bag and a TQ, besides the additional weight of course. I just like the idea of having a little more room in my sleeping bag, but still having the sides secured down to my pad so I don't get drafts.

Any thoughts? Tell me what tiny detail I forgot that kills this whole idea.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Two words: Big Agnes

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    That could work but you'd probably want more than half of the sleeping bag to provide more top coverage. The issue I see is your pad is still the same width. If you can sew, I suggest making a segmented pad extender (SPE) first and then try that with the sleeping bag as a top quilt. The SPE will prevent cold shoulders and sides and if the it works out well you can then mod your sleeping bag and sew it to the SPE. Just a thought to preserve your bag until you've explored other options.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    GT Double/Single
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wallyworld CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by inspectorguy View Post
    Two words: Big Agnes
    Oh that's right, their system is basically what I described right? I have never seen one up close but now that you mention it I think that's pretty much what I was thinking. Doh. This is kind of like when I write that incredible piece of music then realize it's a I IV V progression.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    That could work but you'd probably want more than half of the sleeping bag to provide more top coverage. The issue I see is your pad is still the same width. If you can sew, I suggest making a segmented pad extender (SPE) first and then try that with the sleeping bag as a top quilt. The SPE will prevent cold shoulders and sides and if the it works out well you can then mod your sleeping an d sew it to the SPE. Just a thought to preserve your bag until you've explored other options.
    Ya I don't have any cold issues so I'm not gonna do this in a hurry, I think I'd be more likely to pick up a cheap bag down the road to mess with. SPEs look really cool, but I usually just use my coat as one and the sleeves keep my shoulders warm. The above post basically burst my balloon though. At least I included in the OP that I expected that to happen.
    "We're the Sultans of Swing."

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    When I first started hammocking I used my Big Agnes bags and a pad in the sleeve. Worked much better than just laying a pad in the hammock.
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I cut the backs out of the BA and made quilts out of them. Found them on Steep and Cheap. They have worked well. I use an underquilt and a foot pad.
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Hey all. I don't know if I'm missing something but if you couldn't afford a big Agnes or a top quilt, what's to keep you from splitting 3/4 of the sleeping bag and removing the zipper to turn it into a top quilt? I just bought a cheap wenger down bag for $100. I'm hoping I could mod this into a top quilt and save myself an extra $150. Is there any reason not to do this, other than it will permanently render the bag as a top quilt?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7
    Tarp
    Kelty NOAH 12X12
    Insulation
    3 Season Incubator
    Im either thinking on a big Agnes or making a top quilt myself with a sleeping bag conversion.

Hammock
    Sheltowee 20
    Tarp
    Speer
    Insulation
    Burrow
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by taverre View Post
    Hey all. I don't know if I'm missing something but if you couldn't afford a big Agnes or a top quilt, what's to keep you from splitting 3/4 of the sleeping bag and removing the zipper to turn it into a top quilt? I just bought a cheap wenger down bag for $100. I'm hoping I could mod this into a top quilt and save myself an extra $150. Is there any reason not to do this, other than it will permanently render the bag as a top quilt?
    I did this with an old down bag I found on ebay. Works great!
    Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go! - Rudyard Kipling

• + New Posts