Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings

New from VA

Hi, my name is Craig... and I am not even a hanger yet but joined here to figure out how to become one.

I recently decided I wanted to go from day hiking to doing some overnight hikes and I am just starting the process of figuring out how to do it with a minimum of gear. In fact all I have right now is a GoLite Jam Pack 35L so everything I get has to fit into there.

I figure this group has the resources to help me make smarter decisions and few first timer mistakes!

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    Hello and Welcome to HF from Canada! If you're able a group hang is a great way to see some of the hammock offerings all at once. Otherwise if you are slightly handy with a sewing machine (or willing to be) a DIY hammock may not be far in your future!
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    HH Expedition, HH Explorer Dlx
    Tarp
    Noah 12, BCUSA 10
    Insulation
    JRB Nest, Old Rag
    Suspension
    Stock HH w/rings
    Images
    Welcome from Northern VA. Be sure to check out http://theultimatehang.com/ and Shug's videos on YouTube. Along with these forums they will just about hold your hand and answer all your hammock related questions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 single
    Tarp
    12 X 12 Guide Gear
    Insulation
    DIY synthetic UQ
    Suspension
    Adjustable webbing
    Welcome from WI. Enjoy figuring things out, ..it's half the fun.

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Welcome to HF from Mass.

Hammock
    Northwoods Wolf
    Tarp
    HH Hexfly
    Insulation
    Northface Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Thanks guys.

I am in NOVA too BTW, but I can't sew and I actually have the Ultimate Hang in Kindle form on my iPad already (and have read it two times through).

I am more of the mindset of buying an all in one hammock if I can decide on one that will meet my newbie needs. I have been eyeing the HH Expedition Asym Zip but just haven't been convinced enough to pull the trigger for a couple of reasons like height (I am right at 6'), and not knowing if there is something else that falls into that all in one type of package in a comparable price range.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    Hi, my name is Craig... and I am not even a hanger yet but joined here to figure out how to become one.

I recently decided I wanted to go from day hiking to doing some overnight hikes and I am just starting the process of figuring out how to do it with a minimum of gear. In fact all I have right now is a GoLite Jam Pack 35L so everything I get has to fit into there.

I figure this group has the resources to help me make smarter decisions and few first timer mistakes!
    Hey Craig. Great to have ya to the forums. Fellow Virginian here.

Yeah this is the place for all info on hammock camping/backpacking. You might wanna consider going to a Group Hang and check out some of the members Hammock Systems. Everybody has their own way of setting up their hammock so there really is no single right way to build your system. So many options out there. But if you attend a group hang, even if your not staying over night, you can get a chance to see all the different types of setups and I'm sure some members will let ya lay in a few of their hammocks for a few (seconds) to get a feel for it.

Be sure to check out the Trip Planning section down below for upcoming trips in the SouthEast Subforum.

Also, Watch Shug's Videos. He has a complete video collection which provides an intro and guide for people new to hammocks.

Hammock
    Hummingbird double
    Tarp
    HG 4 season C.F.
    Insulation
    MAMW TQ,HG& EE UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Welcome from Loudoun County

I highly recommend lurking and searching on here for a few weeks before buying hammocks and other gear. You'll learn a LOT.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cvitter View Post
    Thanks guys.

I am in NOVA too BTW, but I can't sew and I actually have the Ultimate Hang in Kindle form on my iPad already (and have read it two times through).

I am more of the mindset of buying an all in one hammock if I can decide on one that will meet my newbie needs. I have been eyeing the HH Expedition Asym Zip but just haven't been convinced enough to pull the trigger for a couple of reasons like height (I am right at 6'), and not knowing if there is something else that falls into that all in one type of package in a comparable price range.
    I had the same issue. I am 6'1". Just go with the HH Explorer Deluxe (Side Entry Zip). Unless your absolutely sure you want the bottom entry, I'd go with side entry. Bottom entry has its perks but after doing alot of research and reading reviews I went with Side Entry and I am glad I did. The Explorer Deluxe is designed for our Height range. 6' - 7'. I am pretty happy with it. I like that I have an all in one kit for $200. Warbonnet makes a nice hammock but you will pay alittle more in the end. If you plan to do alot of winter and cold temp hangs you might wanna consider going with a bigger Tarp rather than the Asym HH Diamond Tarp. Warbonnet makes a Tarp SuperShelter which I have been eyeballing for awhile now. Its a very good price for its size.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from Denver! Getting straight into hanging from the get-go is a great choice. A 35 L pack is doable and will definitely push you to stay light and quick.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast