Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie Wanna Be Backpacker and Hammocker

Hey Guys-

Let me first say, first post! Let me secondly give you a little background on myself. I am an avid long distance horseback rider and have long eyed backpacking as a sport I would likely enjoy as well. I've finally hit a spot in my life where I'm ready to take the plunge and get out there and enjoy nature a little. Let me first say I will likely be only camping in fairly nice weather, we will call it mid-spring to mid-fall camping here in southwest Virginia.

I'm an obsessive compulsive researcher and have decided that hammocking fits what I want to do. I've watched all of Shug's super helpful videos and learned a lot.

For reference I am 5'-10" and weigh around 250 pounds (which will hopefully improve as I start to hike more!) I'm pretty certain I am going to purchase a DL WBBB. I'd like to keep my pack light but dont think I'll be a gram weenie, I dont mind carrying a little more to be comfortable in my system and cut weight in other places (alcohol stoves, UL pack, chemical water treatment etc.)

Now on to the question: (Appologize in advance for the long post)

1. TQ/UG setups vs a pad and bag. I've done lots of research and buying such a specialized set of equipment as a TQ/UQ setup is very expensive, and doesnt offer the option to go to ground. Would something like the Big Agnes Classic SL and a pad work as well? Big Agnes I need to also say I'm am a VERY warm sleeper, and am often so warm in my house (temp set at 62) I sleep with no blanket. It seems the Big Agnes/pad setup would allow me to also go along with my friends who have multi-person tents and share the load, and go to ground. A TQ.UQ couldnt do this, they are also very expensive for such a specialized set of gear. I've researched the BA Sleep system here on HF but most of the threads are older, has anyone used this setup lately? If I went this route what do I need to know about a pad getting condensation? CCF/How thick? Air? Insulated Air?

2. Would a quilt and pad combo with an SPE or the pad slid between the DL of the hammock work better?

I look forward to this discussion and I'm sure I'll get some great advice. Also an HF member in or around Blacksburg, I'm really looking to learn about gear and would love to get together for a hike and gear learning fest!

Josh

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1DL
    Tarp
    WB Edge, Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Burrow, W/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings/MSH
    Images
    Welcome to the forums!

I've been backpacking since the 80's, but just got into hammocks last year. If you're looking at 1 piece of kit to do you well for hammocks and tents, you're probably better off with a sleeping bag. I have a few bags and a TQ and wouldn't have any problem using my TQ with a pad in a tent, but it's easier with a bag. You can always zip it open like a TQ if you're warm, just a bit of added bulk and weight.
    If you're looking for the cheapest insulation underneath, you can't beat the old blue foam pad. It won't be as comfortable on the ground as something thicker like a Thermarest, but the price difference more than makes up for it. The pad will work in your hammock as well.
    Don't over-think it. Thousands of people get out every year with the cheapest of equipment, and most come back alive You don't need the best of everything to have fun, you just need to get out and stay comfortable.

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    I'll just say welcome... And most of your questions have been answered... Pads are preferred for going to ground but not preferred for the most comfort in a hammock... Pads work for a lot of people, some people even love their pads... I consider them a necessary evil when pushing my kit below its designed limits... Top quilts can be used with your pad when you go to ground... Ultralight hikers figured that out a few years ago, that the insulation under you was wasted weight so they did away with it...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Lynx/Quilts
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Welcome from Denver!

+1 on the other comments.

My addition is that the TQ/UQ system, while expensive, is the most comfortable/warmest way to go. You live in an area in the country where going to ground shouldn't ever have to happen. I'd strongly recommend keeping it as a consideration.

If you're set to go pad/bag, though, the BA system is the way I would go. Having the option of integrating the two makes it easier, while still allowing you to split them, if necessary. If you go this route, the Insulated Air Core is good, as is the newer Q-core.
    Brian
    Denver, CO
    Father. Husband. Scoutmaster.

Hammock
    DIY "Taco" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy hex fly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Wingardium Leviosa
    I've used a pad and a UQ... MUCH prefer a UQ! The pad I used just made me sweat on my back while my chest froze. With my UQ, it's just comfortable warmth that I don't have to fight. Depending on which pad you choose, some of the pads are a LOT smaller than the UQ. You can use a sleeping bag or a top quilt. A good down bag will cost just as much...or more than a cottage industry top quilt... I have a $200 synthetic bag. It's rated at 20, but it is really bulky. A 20 degree down TQ is half the weight and less bulky, for about $270. The bag I have has not let me down when in use, it is nice to just lay in, with the bag open. On my last trip it was 30*, and I never zipped the bag all the way up. I do use a thin fleece liner, and half the time the bag is wrapped partially around me, with just the fleece covering my chest.
    Hammocking is awesome. I wouldn't trade it for the ground... The places I go have trees. If I had to convert it to ground use, I could, but my trips are usually in forested locales.

Welcome to the air!
    For more info, read:

My personal blog

Hammock
    BB
    Tarp
    zpacks cuben
    Insulation
    te-wa Freeze
    Suspension
    whoOpie slings
    Images
    welp, there's a lot to go over, concerning a gear list. good fun, the shopping!
    i've replaced or modified my sleep system at least, say 8 times. Oo

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Given how warm you sleep, a TQ and pad looks like your best option. The pad for when you have to go to ground, the TQ, while smaller than a sleeping bag, will provide you with plenty of warmth. The only problem with a TQ is when you have to go to ground (not very often) it may slip off during the night. But since you are such a warm sleeper, I doubt you'll be bothered that much if it does slip off once in a while.

Hammock
    switchback, wbbb, clark ul
    Tarp
    oes standard/ultra
    Insulation
    jrb uq/ leighlo tq
    Suspension
    diy whoopiesling
    i have the ba system, isul air core pad with a mystic bag, to use this system in the hammock i would suggest placing the pad [patially inflated] between the layers of the hammock and using the bag opened as a quilt,.
    this will give you an option to go to ground in a very comfortable fashion.
    although for the money you could probably get a tq/uq setup.
    iguess all things considered i would suggest getting a nice tq and a decent ground pad and then spring for the uq when you have had some hammock experience,
    fwiw, i use quilts exclusively

Hammock
    HH Explorer
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest/CCF
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Heh,

I saw my first hammock on Youtube a couple of years ago, and immediately knew it was a genius idea when I fully understood the whole 'asym' concept.

So, being on a limited budget, I bought a couple of Hennessys (an Explorer for me and an Expedition for the boy). We had some old camping gear kicking about, ccf mats, sleeping bags etc and over the festive season I sprang for a new thermarest and a discounted down bag. All this after assiduously reading all the pad/bag UQ/TQ discussions on this superb forum and yes, watching Shug's videos.

Not had much chance to use them yet, but last night I camped out in the snow in Derbyshire, and it got down to about -6 deg c, and I was toasty. I cut up a ccf into two triangular wings and slipped them in under my pad. Added in my overcoat and fleece as additional underinsulation. I had the whole thing hanging on the supplied lashings with the stock fly (propped open at the front with a 5' stick), as in spite of being a bit of a gearhead, I've not investigated whoopies etc.

I promised my son that 2013 would be "the year of camping" and in this crowded little country, wild camping has to be a discreet business - and these hammocks tick so many boxes, I can't wait to get out again soon.

I think the big benefit of TQ/UQ from my theoretical standpoint is that the Pad/Bag method really needs a lot of wriggling and shuffling to get properly 'ensconced'. It's hard enough in a tent, but usually by the time I've wrestled the bag, pad and various bits and bobs into a comfortable position, I'm knackered.

And stepping out in the night for a slash? The whole operation becomes a chore.

But, for my budget, I'll refine the bag/pad system to my satisfaction (get an spe, figure out a good setup in ideal daylight, some method of securing the pad etc) and start saving for a UQ/TQ sometime in the future. I like the compactness of that method too, pads are bulky.

But I never sleep as well as I have done in the Explorer.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JCook5003 View Post
    Hey Guys-

I'm an obsessive compulsive researcher and have decided that hammocking fits what I want to do.
    Josh
    Danger, danger! HF may not be for you.

But don't let that stop you. FWIW I have never gone to ground, so don't plan on the possibility any more. You're in an area with plenty of nice places to hike, well supplied with trees.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast